AAR- Scum and Villainy

*ARCHIVED* Sub-forum for the original West Marches Discord campaign

Moderator:etherial

Arikail
AAR- Scum and Villainy

Post by Arikail » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:12 am

Mission: The Bandit's Hideout has been located in the Throal Mountains. Time to clear them out.
Gm: Arikail
Date:1/13/18
Difficulty and circle rating: Circle 5 Medium

Player Rewards:
Irwin E. Hopperton: 4000lp 800silver statute - fat man - all 5 true elements
Aegharan: 4000 LP, 700 Silver, 4 Booster Potions, Golden bracelet studded with gems
Ceadda: 4000LP, 800 Silver
Gronk Longtusk: 4000 Legend, 800 Silver, 3 TIPs
Romari: 4000 LP, 800 Silver, (The Rune-ring of Imoen) Silver ring with small emeralds set in a runic symbol.

Further Information: The bandit leadership have been eliminated. The Irwin Doppler has taken a fall it couldn't possibly survive!!!

Downtime Abilities Provided:
Forge Weapon: 9 (Rank 1)
Alchemy: 10 (rank 3, Booster Potion, Kelia's Antidote, Kelix's Poultice)
Map Making 8
Item History 15
Research 22 (+4 with Speed Reading spell, +3 from Throal library 20sp, +4 Karma)
Last edited by Arikail on Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aegharan

Re: AAR- Scum and Villainy

Post by Aegharan » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:12 am

Journal of Aegharan, Illusionist of Fourth Circle

Gronk Longtusk, Orc Archer, Irwin E. Hopperton, Human Elementalist, Ceadda, Human Warrior, Romari Savre, Elf Wizard, and I set out to finally get rid of the bandits.
We head towards the mountain and find a path that seems to have seen a lot of traffics. Going down that path we notice 3 bandits, 1 hidden to each side of the road and 1 standing right ontop of the path. Gronk says hello and tries to get them to give us some information, but the bandit wouldn't budge and attacked. We obliterated the bandits. Two more were still hidden and watched us fight their comrades. One blew his horn and both ran away, but they were both struck down quickly.
We questioned the one bandit who was still breathing, but he was not able to give us any information before he succumbed to his wounds.

We marched on and Gronk found a nice little cave near the path, estimated to be about 3 quarters of an hour away from the bandit's hideout. Irwin took some time to summon a fire elemental and told us that he was successfull. We went on towards the Hideout and Irwin sent the Elemental in.

A minute later we followed in and were caught by a trap, walls crushing down in front and behind us. To make matters worse, oil lamps dropped down and burnt me a little. Then arrow-slits opened inside the walls and oil poured out of them. We spotted the following writings on the walls:
North-East: A portal to a new place full of adventure
North-West: A passage to home, full of memories and comfort
South-East: What am I
South-West: What am I when I'm not
We figured it should mean door, and a door that is not a door is ajar. It was the luckiest coincidence that Irwin was with as, because it was either him talking in the Earth Elemental Tongue to the doors or Ceadda poking just the right hole with his dagger, but the doors opened and the oil ran off, the fire going out with it. Gronk was also working on some levers, so maybe it was him moving the levers, although I'm not sure it wasn't Ceadda breaking the wall.

We rested shortly while Irwin summoned another Elemental, an Earth Elemental this time, in case we get stuck again.

We soon found a great cave with a huge pit in the middle and the remains of a bridge that led across the pit. We fought a very strong Earth Elemental, 4 Bandits and a Copy of Irwin. The fight was rather unpleasent, but Irwin had the phenomenal idea of blasting up the bridge while the Irwin-Copy was ontop of the bridge. The other 2 bandits surrendered to us. The Irwin-Copy seems to have been the bandit-leader.

Gronk heroically leaped over the bottomless pit and we had a chance to search quite a bit of trade-goods, as well as some very interesting items. I got to keep a Bracelet made out of gold studded with gems.

BattleChad

Post by BattleChad » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:19 am

The Great Library of Throal thanks Aegharan for his contribution.

Journal Rewards: 200 Legend Points and 200 Silver

etherial

Post by etherial » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:27 am

From the journal of Gronk Longtusk

20 Borrum, 1421 T.H.
At last I have put together the team to take out these Bandit rascals. Irwin and I have spent some time discussing the various strategies we could employ and the variety of elementals he could summon, but we have concluded that the simplest solution is the best: Beat down their front door with as powerful a Fire Elemental as he could reasonably summon and follow along in its wake.

As we climbed into the mountains, I left my companions a ways behind me to scout ahead. Their defenses were well placed, however, and I was made. One stepped out to confront me and I tried to charm him with my roguish good looks until my comrades could catch up, but they weren't buying it. Romari managed to Mind Dagger one right off the cliff he was standing on. I took out their leader while the others removed the third. Two more Bandits chose to engage rather than flee and Monstrous Ceadda managed to make short work of them too.

Near the entrance to the Copper Mine they'd elected to use as their lair, Irwin summoned a Fire Elemental with a Strength Rating just under his Circle - easier to control, I suppose. He set it loose inside the mine with instructions to set everything flammable on fire. We never saw the Fire Elemental again, but we saw plenty of evidence of its work.

Onward we went into the depths of the mine. Someone managed to set off a trap in one of the larger chambers. We tried to scatter to minimize the damage, but the chamber doors slammed shut and I alone had managed to escape. The room began to fill with oil and the remaining lamps on the ceiling ignited the substance. Quick thinking on Irwin's part allowed him to cast Resist Fire on the group within while I scrambled about looking for a control mechanism. I ended up having to crawl beneath the chamber to the control room to disable the mechanisms causing the oil to pour in. Meanwhile, Aegharan, Irwin, and Romari figured out that the key to deactivating the system lay in a riddle that could only be answered in the tongue of the Earth Elementals - an insanely complicated security mechanism for either a mine or a Bandit lair!

Not far beyond that chamber we arrived at a deep chasm in the earth with a fort on the far side. A creature that looked like it had once been Human commanded the remaining Bandit forces and a summoned Metallic Earth Elemental. I leapt to an upper area so I could snipe their archers and Ceadda began to fight the enemy Elemental. Irwin assisted him in holding and then Banishing it, but a Bandit came up behind me.

Forced to defend myself in close quarters, I dropped my precious bow and drew my daggers, hoping that my Talent in reading foe's weaknesses would carry the day. The decayed one stepped onto a wooden bridge to cast spells at us from closer ranger and Irwin took advantage of his desperation to destroy the bridge and hurl our enemy into the chasm. Their leader dead, the remaining Bandits surrendered and we were able to secure the location.

As civilization expands, Banditry will probably always remain with the people who travel the roads from Throal, but this organized menace at least has been stopped.

PCs:
Aegharan, male Elf Illusionist
Ceadda, male Human Warrior
Gronk Longtusk, make Ork Archer/Liberator
Irwin Ernest Hopperton III, male Human Elementalist
Romari Savre, male Elf Wizard

NPCs:
???

BattleChad

Post by BattleChad » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:41 pm

The Great Library of Throal thanks Gronk for his contribution.

Journal Rewards: 200 Legend Points and 200 Silver