Difficulty: M

Rewards/spent:
Thane: 800 LP, 230 Silver, 3 TI points.
Ursula von Knucklebreaker: 800 Legend, 230 Silver, 3 TI
Pethrytholilanista: 800 Legend, 230 Silver, 3 TI points
Avalandohamagannahnieventhallailmar: 800 Legend, 230 Silver, 3 TI

Downtime skills available:
Alchemy ('Nista)
Knowledge: Barsaive History, and Knowledge: Scourge History (Avalan)
Last edited by BattleChad on Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

etherial

Re: AAR: Wild Things

Post by etherial » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:09 am

From the collected letters of Ursula von Knucklebreaker:

15 Doddul, 121 T.H.

Dearest Mother and Father:

I have seen notices of one Farmer Tedri who is having issues with nocturnal bandits, presumably of the animal variety. Some other Adventurers decided to join me to investigate. When we arrived at Borgan's Rest, I spoke to Lareth and he indicated that Tedri was having difficulties in no small part due to his inability to attract sufficient staff. He is apparently a good farmer and a poor manager.

On the sixth day, we found a man stranded on a rock, having been attacked by some creatures that ran off his horse and disabled his cart. After some poking around, we were able to provoke the creatures - a pod of Earth Q'Wril - into attacking us and we made short work of them. The man, one Lingo by name, worked for Tedri and had decided to give up the profession when he was attacked. He tendered his resignation to Tedri through us and directed us over to Tedri's farm.

We spoke with Tedri, and he was every bit as gruff as we'd expected. Tracks led off from the farm toward a nearby swamp where some Jub Jubs were in the height of mating season. I managed to push one over the edge against his opponent, and he caused a serious wound, but then the lot of them attacked us. One managed to land a serious blow on Damkina, but we eventually wiped them out.

Overnight, I saw something out in the wheat field. It never got close enough for me to be sure what it was, however. We found footprints matching the hindlegs of Jub Jubs, but nothing matching the front legs. It was as though someone was trying to frame the Jub Jubs for the crimes.

The following day, we confirmed that the Jub Jub corpses from the previous day's adventure had had their hindlegs severed before following the trail further to see who was responsible. We discovered an encampment with three children who were being Challenged by a Dappled Brithan. I challenged it to single combat and, while I did a good job on the first blow, I rendered it unconscious with the second.

We were able to convince Tedri to take the children on as field hands. The others thought this would soften his cold black heart or something.

Yours,

Ursula von Knuckebreaker, née Nusserman

PCs:
Avalandohamagannahnieventhallailmar, Obsidiman Elementalist
Pethrytholilanista, female Elf Nethermancer
Thane Cawdor, male Troll Sky Raider

NPCs:
Tedri, a curmudgeon
Lingo, an itinerant
Damkina, a Bear
Zimbu, a Monkey

BattleChad

Post by BattleChad » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:43 am

The Great Library of Throal thanks Ursula for her contribution.

Journal Rewards: 40 Legend Points and 57 Silver

ChrisDDickey

Post by ChrisDDickey » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:51 pm

From the journal of Thane Cawdor. Troll Sky Raider.

We traveled down to a farm near Borgan's Rest to investigate some problems they have been having with small livestock and crops going missing in the night. On the path we found a man standing upon a huge bolder, crying for help. His cart was mired in loose dirt not far away. He said that something had attacked him and he had climbed up on the rock to escape them, but was unable to describe what had attacked him. We advanced cautiously, and, as expected, it turned out to be Earth Q'wirl. We were all attacked, but for the most part their beaks could not get past our armor. They attacked in waves, 8 or so in total, but once out of the ground they were easy to kill.

Once the Q'wirl were dealt with, the man came down and introduced himself as Lingo, farmer Tedri's hired hand. Or rather ex-hand since he up and quit upon the spot, starting to march back to Borgin's rest to look for work that did not involve being attacked by subterranean monsters. We had just finished unmiring the cart when farmer Tedri himself rode up upon the draft horse, which had gotten loose during the attack and apparently ran back to its barn. We introduced ourselves and discussed his problems on the way back to the farm.

The farm is a very nice spread, the home and outbuilding well constructed. Tedri had apparently built the place shortly after the founding of Borgin's rest. Sadly his wife had died shortly thereafter.

We set out looking, and quickly found some Jub-Jub tracks. We followed them into a nearby swampy area where we came upon two male Jub-Jubs competing for the attentions of a female. Ursila, our beastmaster, pushed one of the males into attacking the other. Our plan worked for a few moments, but unfortunately the other two Jub-Jub saw us and attacked us. The first Jub-Jub decided that attacking us was even more fun than attacking the other male. I tried out my new Bola, and they work nice. One of the Jub-Jub spent much of the fight biting and snapping at the rope entangling it. We slew all three.

We returned to the farm and reported to farmer Tedri, who thanked us and feed us a very delirious Earth Q'wrirl stew. The farmer assumed that the Jub-Jub were the only source of his problems, but we resolved to mount a careful watch that night and see if something else might be preying upon the farm. Sure enough, the 2nd watch noticed something in the wheat field. However as they discussed it, they heard it slink away. They woke the rest of us up, and we examined the area by crystal-light, and found what we thought were more fresh Jub-Jub tracks.

We went back to bed, and in the morning examined it more closely. Upon reexamination, it seemed that the tracks were of Jub-Jubs, but of two legged Jub-Jubs that strode, not hopped! We followed the tracks and found that somebody had cut the feet of of one of the Jub-Jub we had killed the day before, and had apparently tied the feet to their own!

We tracked them further, and came upon a camp just as a dappled Brithen was attacking it. There were 3 kids in the camp, ranging in age from about 6 to 10 or 12. When somebody yelled out that it was a Brihen, my heart quaked, as I have heard many fearsome legends of Brithen. What I did not know was the difference between a dappled Brithen and a normal one. I have a relative, A tough and fearless adept, whom was roundly defeated by a normal Briathen in seconds! I dappled Brithen on the other hand I have just learned is a much, much less fearsome creature. Ursula and I both knew that Brithen usually prefer to engage in ritual single combat. Ursula called a question if I wished to engage it or if she should. I had never heard of a dappled Brithen, so said I wanted no part in going one-on-one with a Briathen Ursula strode up to it, absorbed one blow from it's claws, then proceeded to knock it unconscious in one might return blow.

I meanwhile had run over to the kids, and was attempting to shepherd them out of camp as quickly as possible. We had not even gotten them moving when Ursula's battle was won. It turns out the Kids were orphans, and had been stealing from the farm. Last night the oldest had worn the Jub-Jub feet in order to confuse his tracks. We took them back to the farm and convinced the farmer to take the orphans in, feeding them in return for chores. Happy endings all around!.

BattleChad

Post by BattleChad » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:47 pm

The Great Library of Throal thanks Thane for his contribution.

Fusilliban

Post by Fusilliban » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:48 am

The Observations of Avalandohamagannahnieventhallailmar, Doddul, 121 TH

The outdoors is as-described. My heart is heavy for the many generations of Namegivers who were deprived the option of seeing it; though lightened by the many more generations who, for their sacrifice, will have the ability.

Notices were posted about a farmer, a Human by the name of Tedri. Tedri's crops have been disappearing, and no one has been able to sight the beasts responsible. Seeking to avoid ruin, she offered a bounty which would outstrip most of what I have been able to earn since leaving the Liferock. Sensing the opportunity to help encourage crop growth and cover my expenses for the winter, I volunteered for this job. I met three others in the Bazaar who were interested - Thane Cawdor, Troll Sky Raider of the Third Circle, Ursula von Knucklebreaker, Dwarf Beastmaster of the Third Circle, and Pethrytholilanista Mestrisanialira Ferianimalirira Alcantoritalirnora Restimotronora Caminantenorlira Zefrandestinornora, Elf Nethermancer of the Third Circle. I was fortunate to be able to travel with such experienced Adepts, and they subjected me to a minimum of any hazing rituals.

After a final supply check, we traveled by road to Borgan's Rest. (I do not know who Borgan is, or what kind her rest was.) This road is the most commonly traveled and heavily patrolled road in the post-Scourge known world, and so we were not waylaid by any beasts, marauders, proselytizers, or peddlers. Upon reaching the town, my companions consulted with a blacksmith, by the Name of Lareth, who is a pillar of the local community. She gave us directions to Tedri's farm, and advised us that Tedri is not infamous for friendliness or warmth of spirit. Undeterred - unfriendly farmers have the same right to grow crops as any other - we set out on the road, expecting to see Tedri before sundown.

Along the way, we came upon a Human, perched upon a large rock, crying out in alarm. She warned us that something was horribly wrong with the earth here, and that it had eaten the cart and tried to eat the horse also, though the horse had managed to escape. The Human, being less swift than a horse, was unwilling to leave the relative safety of the rock. We investigated the wagon, which had sunk into the dry ground as if it were muddy, and was now stuck there. Before we could reach a conclusion, small furry creatures burrowed out from the ground and leapt up to face-height (for an Elf), biting with teeth strong enough to break small rocks! A melee ensued, and I was very pleased with my choice of companions, who each bare considerable strength of arms. (These companions also included a bear with considerable strength of arms.) As each beast was slain, another popped out of the ground, and all told, we must have slain nearly a dozen. My attempts to prepare my Earth Dart spells with a full dose of magical energy resulted in much wasted time, and I am beginning to consider a hastier approach to such spells. The beasts are properly known as Earth Q'Wrils, and I have enclosed a few small drawings. I am not a great artist but the drawings are to-scale. The Human was worried that more Q'Wrils still remained in the earth, but after some time, the Human (whose name I did not write down in time) decided to scramble down from the rock. After briefly thanking us, and blaming her employer for these events - Tedri! - the Human decided to abandon the cart as lost, and returned to Borgan's Rest in search of new, less hazardous, friendlier employment. We resolved to un-stick the cart and return it to Tedri.

Returning it proved easy; before we could find the draft horse to begin pulling the cart again, a horse found us, carrying a Human. This Human claimed to *be* Tedri, and suspected us of waylaying the cart! We set Tedri straight, and returned to her farm without further incident. She agreed to hire us, and gave a description of the problem - chickens were periodically disappearing, as were small quantities of vegetables. Investigating the area, we found what appeared to be tracks of one or more jub-jubs. My companions knew no fear, and I knew no jub-jubs, so we followed their tracks off the farm. After an hour's steady travel following tracks, we encountered jub-jubs engaged in some sort of pre-mating combat. They did not see us, and Beastmaster Ursula took this opportunity to Master a Beast, encouraging it to be unusually vicious. I prepared for the worst, and tied a thread. Ursula mastered the beast well, and it bit its opponent mightily, but after that, they sighted us, and all three jub-jubs fell upon us viciously! The leaping abilities of jub-jubs should not be underestimated; nor should their teeth. One of them bit so hard that Ursula's bear companion ran from the battle! I did not think I would ever see a bear run from a frog, but I have now seen a bear run from a jub-jub. Neither Ursula nor Thane ran from the teeth or roars of the beasts, so let it be recorded that Ursula von Knucklebreaker and Thane Cawdor are each of them braver and more courageous than a bear. Pethrytholilanista and I were spared the test of a face-to-face confrontation with any giant frogs, and our courage, relative to that of a bear, remains unknown. Four Adepts against three jub-jubs led, swiftly and surely, to three dead jub-jubs.

We returned to Tedri's farm and set up a watch schedule. We had slain the jub-jubs, but we had no proof that they were the thieves, nor that they were the only thieves. Tedri's comments about the missing livestock and the missing vegetables suggested that they were disappearing on different schedules, and there was the possibility of two different groups of food-thieves! We set watches. Fearing that the roof might not hold my frame (as my people's connection to the earth is so strong, it is constantly pulling our bodies towards it much more fiercely than other Namegivers), I improvised a watch platform in a tree by casting an Air Mattress. This proved very effective, and on my watch, my post allowed me to spot a rustling in the wheat! However, as I have just mentioned, my people's connection to Earth is very strong, and I failed to fully account for this. When I tried to leave the Air Mattress, I connected so strongly with the Earth that I scared off the thief. We were forced to wait for the morning light to see tracks. When the light came, we found tracks of a bi-pedal jub-jub! We followed these tracks, past the jub-jubs we had slain the day before, where we found that one of them had had its feet removed - cut with a knife, not bitten with teeth. Following the bi-pedal tracks further, we heard a mighty roar, and soon came upon a clearing, containing a huge bear - as much larger than a bear than a Dwarf is a Windling - menacing three Human children. Thane and Ursula each recognized it as a Brithan, a form of magic bear which respects the sanctity of single combat. They discussed which of them should duel it, and decided it would be Ursula.

Here I must digress, to speak of the glory and honor of Thane Cawdor, Troll Sky Raider. One might expect a Sky Raider to be upset, to be denied the opportunity to fight such a foe. And indeed, I suspect she may have enjoyed that honor, and that battle. But, once the decision made, there was not a hint of complaint or hesitation in Thane, only the immediate and full commitment that is the hallmark of a true Sky Raider. Thane Cawdor moved swiftly and decisively and snatched the children away, saving them from danger. While Nista and I had spells at the ready, Thane personally ensured the safety of innocents. I was not prepared for this display of galan-kaharr, but I will not soon forget it.

Ursula dispatched the Brithan in merely two blows. Perhaps her association with bears gave her some special insight into the weak points of this super-bear. While the children were still stunned at this turn of events - both the Brithan, and their sudden and brutal rescue from it - we confronted them about their thievery. They admitted to the crime, and we proposed an alternative, that they become farmhands for Tedri (who was previously forced to work a farm alone, ever since her wife died), in exchange for food, which they would then not have to steal. They liked this idea better than returning to Throal, having grown fond of the open sky. They were concerned, however, that Tedri was quite mean, and that they might despise life in her employ. Pethrytholilanista, as well, was worried for their safety, and insisted that we place the children somewhere safe. We traveled back to the farm, and informed Tedri that, if she would only employ these children and feed them, that they would ensure that the thieves would steal from Tedri no more. (This was not the whole picture of the situation, but it was the Elemental truth, with impurities removed. Feed these children, and guard them, and the thievery would evaporate.) Tedri agreed to the arrangement, saying that she and her wife had always wanted children, and perhaps life on the farm would be easier with more hands.

The matter resolved, we collected our payment - a modest sum for a modest task - and returned home. I wish Farmer Tedri and her new employees all the best.

Avalandohamagannahnieventhallailmar
Elementalist of the First Circle

Addendum: On the way back, Thane and Ursula agreed that the Brithan was smaller than other Brithans than they had heard of, which might explain how we escaped with so little loss of life and limb. We were able to sell the beaks of the Earth Q'Wrils in the Great Bazaar, which made the expedition much more profitable.

BattleChad

Post by BattleChad » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:26 am

The Great Library of Throal thanks Avalan for his contribution.