Adding a Player when party is in a hard to access location - Ideas?

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Jason
Adding a Player when party is in a hard to access location - Ideas?

Post by Jason » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:00 pm

Questions:
  • Looking for non-"deus ex machina" ideas on adding a party member in a hard to reach location
  • Ideas on a good class/race combo for a new to PnP RPGs player - in case I need to make a character for him without any input
Background:
I have been GMing for 2 players and we are expecting a third player to join our next game. Normally this wouldn't be much of a concern, except they are currently inside of Runvir's Tomb (from the same named module) and have been for two game nights. Given the elevator situation (basically a 2+ person puzzle lock), I am having trouble coming up with a good way of introducing another character.

Current characters are a Human Elementalist 2nd Circle & Human Weaponsmith 2nd Circle, both will probably be able to jump to 4th circle when back to civilzation based on current talent levels and available LP. Unknown new character.

So far, the only thing I have came up with is that they didn't bring sufficient light sources and need more. My thought was they would have to go back outside to get materials for the Weaponsmith to make more torches and have the new character be near the entrance. With reasons to be there.. etc..etc..
Play my game jam games - made by one person in a limited time frame (usually 48 hours)

Lars Gottlieb

Re: Adding a Player when party is in a hard to access location - Ideas?

Post by Lars Gottlieb » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:46 pm

I haven't read the scenario, but - could a Windling have simply flown in, evading the elevator?

Jason

Post by Jason » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:01 pm

Elevator is a down underground type deal. portcullis blocking off the shaft when the elevator isn't at that level. Since the players are in since with the elevator in the down position.... I could definitely have the elevator be open on the top, which would allow it.

So definitely a solution for a windling character .. but not others. Thanks..
Play my game jam games - made by one person in a limited time frame (usually 48 hours)

Marzhin

Post by Marzhin » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:00 pm

Considering in this particular adventure the questgiver is a rather shady wizard, maybe the new character could be a member of another party that had reached the Tomb earlier but was wiped out by the nasties lurking below. The character would be the only survivor of his crew. The fact Torvin -- the questgiver -- forgot to mention he had hired more than one group for the quest would also hint at Torvin's untrustworthy nature, which plays a big part of the adventure's last act...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)

Telarus

Post by Telarus » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:30 pm

I'm a fan of "remnants of the last party" (because you get to change a few locations to add corpses and signs of battle, etc). I'm also a fan of "(new player)I'm the only Adept, but I have 3 hirelings guarding the camp/horses." The non-adepts can help the new player down the elevator.

Lys

Post by Lys » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:00 am

Sole survivor of last party is what i would suggest, it's easy to justify why he's down there, and immediately gives everyone a reason to stick together. Also if you're going to draw up a character for the new player, you may want to consider a Dwarf Warrior. The reason why Dwarf is because they're the most populous race in the setting, so it makes it more Earthdawny to have one in the group. It would also give the player an instant connection with the largest political entity in Barsaive, and i think it helps new players to have such an anchor. The reason why Warrior is that they're a very straightforward Discipline that's easy to learn and get into, which is good for a new player.

Flowswithdrek

Post by Flowswithdrek » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:47 am

In one adventure we found our new party member locked in a treasure chest.. With a good back story this can lead to other adventures.

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:29 am

A sleeping beauty? I like this even better if it's a dwarf Warrior.

One thing to keep in mind is that you can always let the player change characters once they get into a new location if they want to play something else. You could have a comatose obsidiman for them to come across.

PiXeL01

Post by PiXeL01 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:48 pm

Comatose T'Skrang could work too actually. Only one of his Tribe to be woken up

Jason

Post by Jason » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:48 pm

Comatose T'Skrang could work too actually. Only one of his Tribe to be woken up
I forgot all about the T'Skrang method of making it through the scourge.