Fourth Edition Errata, Clarifications, and FAQs

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Mataxes
Re: Fourth Edition Errata, Clarifications, and FAQs

Post by Mataxes » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:25 am

The print book is correct. (I checked both my hardcover and softcover.)

I don't know why the PDF isn't, and will investigate.

In the meantime, I will add that to the errata with a note that it is "PDF only".

Edit to add:
Okay, that's weird. The PDF I have on my hard drive is also correct. Sounds like a versioning issue that cropped up when we updated the site and web store. I'd fix it myself, but I don't admin rights to mess with the files on the store. I've sent a note over to the folks that do (along with the corrected file) and it should be fixed as soon as they get that in place.
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:55 am

etherial wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:10 am
Mataxes, is there any way to make it easier to see which books I have on pdf and can re-download? It looks like the only way is to view every single order individually and that seems...inefficient.
It is rather inefficient (I had to go back through my own orders to download the store version). There may be a plug-in available for the web store software, allowing a "library" view of your e-products. I'll send an email over to the store admin and see what he says.

Thanks for the suggestion.

The Undying

Post by The Undying » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:09 am

Clarification: Elemental Spear [Water] abilities: is an Effect (and therefore receives the bonus of any '+Effect' bonuses), benefits from extra successes from the Spellcasting test with +2 bonus per success, and extra threads can be used to increase the effect at +2 bonus per extra thread. (Player's Guide, pg 281)

Clarification - PLEASE CONFIRM: Physical armor reduces damage from Fireweave. (Player's Guide, pg 286)

RazanMG

Post by RazanMG » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:41 pm

Fireweave
Effect: Wil +2 / PHYSICAL

The Undying

Post by The Undying » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:24 pm

Hooray?

Yes, that is in the book, and yes, that is the standard signal that physical armor protects. HOWEVER, the Fireweave spell effect is essentially part of Mantle of the Fire Marauder, and that spell makes an explicit mention that armor protects. It's extremely likely that note exists because the effect Step is used for multiple purposes in the spell and therefore cannot have the "/Physical" added. But the overlap is easy enough to raise the question, hence the clarification and request for confirmation.

etherial

Post by etherial » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:18 am

The Undying wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:24 pm
HOWEVER, the Fireweave spell effect is essentially part of Mantle of the Fire Marauder
No, it's really not. The somatic components are different as are the Effect Steps.
The Undying wrote:
...and that spell makes an explicit mention that armor protects. It's extremely likely that note exists because the effect Step is used for multiple purposes in the spell and therefore cannot have the "/Physical" added. But the overlap is easy enough to raise the question, hence the clarification and request for confirmation.
Compare with Fireball. There's no mention of Physical Armor outside the Effect Test description.

The Undying

Post by The Undying » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:53 am

etherial wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:18 am
The Undying wrote:
HOWEVER, the Fireweave spell effect is essentially part of Mantle of the Fire Marauder
No, it's really not. The somatic components are different as are the Effect Steps.
Take a look:
Fireweave wrote:This spell creates a protective cloak of flames. ... If successful, a cloak of fire wraps around the target. Anyone attacking the wearer in close combat suffers damage each round from the intense heat thrown off by the cloak. The wearer makes an Effect test to determine how much damage is inflicted.
Mantle of the Fire Marauder wrote:If successful, the target will bellow in rage and be engulfed in flame. Anyone engaging the target in close combat automatically takes Effect test damage (Physical Armor protects).
Sooo, you don't think that "Mantle of the Fire Marauder" is basically just "Fireweave" + "Flameweapon" + Strain-free Aggressive Attack + the mantle aspect (must attack of get an angry spirit inside them), actual Step aside? Even Mantle then latter goes on to say "This spell may only have one active casting at a time and is incompatible with the Flameweapon and Fireweave spells." (emphasis added) Saying that they're different because one requires you to clap hands while the other requires you to stamp your feet and because one gives you 5 or a thing while the other gives you 7 is basically breaking out the nano-scalpel to split hairs. ;)
etherial wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:18 am
The Undying wrote:
...and that spell makes an explicit mention that armor protects. It's extremely likely that note exists because the effect Step is used for multiple purposes in the spell and therefore cannot have the "/Physical" added. But the overlap is easy enough to raise the question, hence the clarification and request for confirmation.
Compare with Fireball. There's no mention of Physical Armor outside the Effect Test description.
Point being? I already acknowledged that the "/Physical" is the standard nomenclature for noting the armor that resists. I also pretty clearly and succinctly explained why there could be some confusion. Yes, both effectively say that they are resisted by physical armor, but the difference in how it's stated makes one standard out against the other. If people don't think a clarification is helpful, that's fine ~ that's why these entries are proposals.

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:29 am

Dial it back a touch.

Yes, Physical Armor protects against the damage dealt by Fireweave.

No, I don't think a clarification is needed. The game statistics use the normal indicator that armor reduces the damage.

The Undying

Post by The Undying » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:29 am

I don't think I said anything particularly needle-y, but if it upset anyone, I'm sorry that it offended.

The Undying

Post by The Undying » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:20 pm

Is it worth adding a clarification or FAQ about the intended behavior for Item History? I don't think the game necessarily suffers or has problems using the interpretation that seems most readers use (Only non-empty key knowledges count as "knowledges" for sake of Item History discovery and Rank effect limit), but I do think the designer intended behavior (empty key knowledges count as "knowledges") makes advancing Item History far more valuable.