Mech Commander

Discussion on topics that aren't specifically related to current FASA product lines or don't fit elsewhere.
A-D
Mech Commander

Post by A-D » Sun May 21, 2017 10:19 pm

I am wondering if there are any patches available for this old classic?? I enjoyed it a ton but it's not set up for 64b computers I'm totally interested in getting an updated version/patch that will allow it to play on windows 10! If it's not already PLEASE consider bringing it back new & improved!!!

BahtRastard

Re: Mech Commander

Post by BahtRastard » Sun May 21, 2017 11:17 pm

I believe you will have to take that up with Microsoft. I think they have the license for that game. Hare Brain Studios has a similar product in the pipeline for release in the next year. :)

Marzhin

Post by Marzhin » Mon May 22, 2017 9:39 am

Maybe to clarify as it can confusing for people who haven't followed all that's happened with FASA:

This here is the site and forum of FASA Games, a publisher of tabletop games. FASA Games could be described as the "publishing arm" of FASA Corporation, and currently publishes Earthdawn, 1879, Noble Armada, and Demonworld.

Fasa Studio, the video game developer that created MechCommander (based on the Battletech universe), was another "subsidiary" of FASA Corporation that was later acquired by Microsoft. Microsoft shut down Fasa Studio in 2007.

As a result, video game rights to a number of FASA Corporation's intellectual properties (including Shadowrun, Battletech and Crimson Skies) are still owned by Microsoft. All video games developed by Fasa Studio are also owned by Microsoft and only they may decide to update them or release new patches.

Key members of Fasa Studio later founded a new company Harebrained Schemes and acquired several licences from Microsoft to create new video games based on the Shadowrun and Battletech universes.

On the tabletop side, Shadowrun and Battletech intellectual properties currently belong to The Topps Company Inc., and the tabletop games based on these IP are currently published by another company called Catalyst Game Labs, under licence from Topps.

I hope that's clear enough and I'm not simplifying too much :)
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)

A-D

Post by A-D » Tue May 23, 2017 3:18 am

Thank you all for the education! Somehow I knew the big "M" was going to come up! But the other information was a welcome relief! I look forward to the new versions and games! Thanks!

Telarus

Post by Telarus » Tue May 23, 2017 11:42 pm

Interestingly, "Mechcommander Gold" is currently Freeware. And there is a workaround for installing it manually on a 64 bit system.

http://www.thegameengine.org/mechcomman ... windows-7/

8-)

RizZen

Usermade MechCommander Remastering

Post by RizZen » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:14 pm

Mod Edit: No. We are not hosting links to this sort of thing here.

RizZen

Post by RizZen » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:40 am

Off topic political rant deleted by mod.

Telarus

Post by Telarus » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:05 am

It seems to be a Total Conversion Mod. But the current version distributes the original game files. I'm not even sure of the legalities of that even when the OG files are Freeware. Mod's call.

etherial

Post by etherial » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:34 am

RizZen wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:40 am
May you give me an explanation? I read your code of conduct and didn't break any rules. Ah forget it, you see mine as concurrent... fear for loosing players. Your so ridiculous. Same way ridiculous like bm kick starter.
FYI most Forums automatically ban people who respond to moderation with something like this. If you want to dispute it, you should be PMing Mataxes.

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:12 pm

We're don't own or have a license to the rights for Mechwarrior or Battletech. This is not a board for discussing those things. There is no "competition" (I assume that's what you mean) involved.

If it's legal, great.

Just don't talk about it here.

I see a first post from a new member with a wall of text, sizable image, and a couple of links plugging your mod/adaptation/whatever of a video game we have no rights to or ownership stake in. Freeware or not, legal or not,that's not going to fly.

Getting salty over the decision? That just reinforces my decision to cut your post, and reduces my willingness to show leniency.
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com