AAR: [3M] Long Ago, but Not Forgotten (2020-09-03@23:00GMT)

The current version of the Earthdawn West Marches Discord campaign, effective Jan 1, 2020

Moderator:etherial

iceface9
Re: LFG: [3M] Long Ago, but Not Forgotten (2020-09-03@23:00GMT)

Post by iceface9 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:49 pm

Name of Mission: Long Ago, but not Forgotten
Time: 2020-09-03@23:00 GMT
GM: Iceface9
Circle: 3
Difficulty: Medium

Player Rewards:
Character Name: TIPs, Legend, Silver, Items
Mal: 1400LP, 18SP, 3TiP's Booster Potion, Last Chance Salve
Redsun: 1400LP, 125SP, 3TiP's Salve of Closure, 2 Kelix Poultice's
Vallone: 1400LP, 275SP, 3TiP's
Bloodbeat: 1400LP, 125SP, 3TiP's, Healing potion
Nib: 1400LP, 275SP, 3TiP's

Journal Rewards: 70LP, 68.8SP

GM Reward: Killian 2200LP, 375SP, 3TiP's

Downtime Actions Available:
Character Name: [Talent] [Step] ([Rank]) ([Further Details])
Bloodbeat:
Alchemy Step 9 (rank 2 + perception 7)
Physician Step 8 (rank 1 + perception 7)

Nib:
Research Talent (Rank 2, Step 15)

Mal:
Craft Weapon (rank 3, step 10)

[Researchers may spend 20 Silver for +3 Steps (the Haggle discount may lower this cost)

Further Information:
NA

Anoush

Re: AAR: [3M] Long Ago, but Not Forgotten (2020-09-03@23:00GMT)

Post by Anoush » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:09 am

Bloodbeat’s Journal:

One night, I had a vivid dream about my pre-Scourge past. In the dream, I taught alchemy to a group of dwarves in a village, called Kohldur, a few days North of what-is-now Throal, in the foothills of the Throal Mountains. I awoke from the life-like dream as I bade farewell to the dwarves, heading off for new adventures …

Pondering this, I now remembered that one of the dwarves in particular, Jodot Oakbraid, caught on very quickly. When I returned that way a few years later, he had built up quite a business of supplying alchemical products — potions, salves, light crystals, etc. — to traders, who came from near and far.

I investigated at the Great Library, and learned that no word has reached the Library from Kohldur post-Scourge. I did find pre-Scourge entries, noting Kohldur’s location (hex 40.08). I decided that it was high time to look up my old students and see what’s become of Kohldur and Jodot’s descendants.

I then began looking for adventurers willing to make the trek with me. First, Nib readily agreed. He’s always ready to get out on the road. My two favorite archers, Mal and Redsun, were happy to come along. And the crow-hating windling, Vallone — truly a kindred-spirit — agreed to join us.

My friends did some more digging and asking around, and learned that Kohldur kaer had indeed opened, and the town of Kohldur re-established. So, one sunny day we set out from Throal.

The trip took a few uneventful days. Kohldur turned out to be a small but bustling town. The guards at the gates asked us the usual things, like what was our business there, and requested that we each demonstrate an artisan skill. We asked about the Oakbraid family. The guards told us that they still had an alchemy business, but that it was shady, disreputable. It was run by the head of the family, Victor Oakbraid.

We wandered around the town a bit. It had a nice atmosphere, a busy town square, a few troubadours entertaining the villagers. We found Oakbraid’s Apothecary. Entering it was a typical, but sparsely stocked, shop. There were the usual displays of healing aids and blood charms. A young dwarven man stood behind the counter and greeted us.

When I explained who I was, he was speechless for a few long moments. Then seemed to accept me at face value. I know that reincarnation is rare, but really, it’s not unheard of! We chatted a bit. This very young dwarf, perhaps all of 25 years, was indeed the head of the Oakbraid family. His grandparents had died many years ago, his parents perhaps five years ago, attacked and killed by creatures while on a trip to acquire materials. His two sisters had moved out of town. The Oakbraids had not been particularly prolific, so unlike most dwarven families Victor didn’t have a wealth of cousins, aunts, uncles to call on either.

I asked about the shop’s reputation. He seemed furtive, but explained that the business had been fine until a few months ago when his supply chain had been disrupted. Some kind of flying creatures had attacked the people who supplied his with basic components. As a result, his supply was limited. The city guard sent out a couple guards to investigate, but they never returned. Victor hired a couple adepts to scout the area and learn more. They did return with tales of humanoid flying creatures, human-sized, that took over a crucial pumpkin patch. Victor gave us rough directions and said that the adept he hired practically lived in the local tavern, a big troll.

At one point in the conversation, we heard a noise in the back room and Victor excused himself, saying he had to “deal with something.” After he went back, we peaked around the curtain in the doorway and saw Victor with another man (just a glimpse, but astrally mundane). The only part of their conversation we could make out was Victor saying “Hold on, I’ve got customers. I’ll get you that when I’m done.” Given the secretive nature of the interchange our thoughts speculated on Victor’s connections to the local organized crime group, whoever they might be. But we had no evidence at this point. Nib spied what looked like a trap door in the back room, too.

Next we went to the tavern. There was only one troll there, currently one of the finalists in a drinking contest. We cheered him on and after he won, bought a round for the table, introduced ourselves and sat down. The troll introduced himself as Xhorf. His companion was an elven woman named Gwynevere. Astrally we could tell that they were newly initiated adepts, a swordmaster and a scout, respectively. We asked about the scouting trip. They reported that they saw two bird-like humanoid creatures — two legs and wings. Based on their description, Redsun believed the creatures to be harpies, which he’d fought in the past. The pair reported that the harpies were eating pumpkins in the field and had a camp nearby. They estimated there were at most three harpies in the area. Collective knowledge indicated that harpies fought with their claws and spread disease when they clawed you. Their trip had been about two weeks ago. Gwyn sketched us a map, showing the pumpkin patch to be about one day southeast of Kohldur.

To prepare for our trip, we bought some cheap, but high-proof alcohol, not for drinking, but for sanitizing wounds from disease-ridden creatures like harpies. We also bought some near-rotting meat from the local butcher, to perhaps use as a lure or decoy when fighting the harpies. Harpies were reported to be scavengers and that rotting meat was a delicacy to them.

We left in the morning, with Mal and Vallone leading the group, Redsun and me in the back. On the way, we discussed tactics. Without a fierce front-line fighter, we’d most likely get hurt. But we decided our best tactics were to try to use nearby cover to prevent the harpies from swooping down on us, and to stay near each other for defense.

We reached the pumpkin patch mid-afternoon. Brief scouting indicated that their nest was probably 300 yards away. The patch was surrounded by fairly dense woodlands, so we decided that standing under the branches at the edge of the woods would be our best bet for grounding the harpies.

Then we saw them, four harpies spread out around the patch They immediately approached and taunted us with their screeching. Most of us were affected by the noise, making us less effective in combat. I had miserable luck. They seemed resistant to both Frighten and Spirit Bolt. Luckily, the archers, Mal and Redsun, were extremely effective against them. Nib’s Dodge Boost was Passion-sent. Vallone’s flying and sneaking helped sliced the harpies to ribbons. Finally it was done. They were all dead, while we had taken little damage. We rested and bandaged up, cleaning the wounds with the alcohol.

We found their nest, but no other harpies therein, nor any eggs. On one side of the patch, there was a dilapidated cottage. It seemed abandoned and in need of repair. But it sufficed for shelter that night.

The next morning, we left heading back to Kohldur with good news. Mid-day, Redsun caught a glimpse of a hooded figure by the side of the road, then we were immediately attacked by five large cat creatures. The hooded man seemed to order the cats to attack. A beastmaster, perhaps? Someone identified the cats as troajins. They were fierce in melee. We eventually got the better of them, using much the same attacks as we had on the harpies. One harpy ran away too quickly to catch, but we killed the others.

We healed up and continued on to town. There, we first talked to Xhorf and Gwyn. This time Xhorf was in an arm wrestling contest. Again, we cheered him on, and bought a round for the table after he won. We asked the pair if they near of a beastmaster in the area. They had heard of none. The closest type of person they could recall was a farmer, Named Veridian, who grew a variety of beans. She was a good farmer and neighbor, helping others, and very good with animals. Her farm was about a half day northeast of Kohldur.

Then we visited the apothecary shop. This time, the shelves were empty, the counter broken and damaged, glass vials were broken and their shards littered the floor. The place had been ransacked, too. We checked the back room and the trap door, but found no one. Then Nib sensed someone, or something, nearby, within about 40 yards. This presence was an adept and likely more powerful than us.

hen we saw a hooded figure, an elven man. He berated us for killing his pets, the troajins. We mentioned the harpies, and he hand waved, calling them “a happy coincidence.” We were exchanging glances, and pondering whether we could overpower the man, when Nib noticed astrally that he had three companions, all more powerful than the elf. The elf warned us to “stay out of his business,” with an implied “or else.” So we backed off and left.

The next day we visited Veridian’s farm. The crops looked abundant and there were a variety of animals on the farm. Talking to Veridian it was clear she was no adept. Her only knowledge was of farming and farm animals, not wild animals. She hadn’t heard of a beastmaster either. She mentioned that the pumpkin patch’s owner had had to move away because of the harpies. We assured her the harpies were gone and she promised to let the owner know.

Back in town, we talked to the guards. The only robed figure they could think of was a trader who frequented the tavern. So, next stop the tavern. There we met the trader, Jasper, a t’skrang who dealt in furs. Definitely not the elven man we’d seen.

We talked to some of the other merchants in town, but none of them knew of, or were willing to speak of, anything resembling organized crime. There was nothing more that we felt capable of dealing with or following up on, so we left for Throal the following morning, vowing to report these events to adepts who might be able to help.

On the way back to Throal, our conversation was full of speculation about the elven man. Was he a representative of some crime organization? Just how powerful was he? Who or what were his allies? Astrally Nib had determined that his pattern was not that of a spell caster, nor did he carry weapons. So, a beastmaster seemed the likeliest discipline.

Rathan01

Post by Rathan01 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:46 pm

*Written in precise and un-flourished penmanship --*

Bloodbeat contacted me about an opportunity to check out a pre-scourge village. Something about her having visited in a past life and taught alchemy to some dwarfs of the Oakbraid family. There was actual Library research, so I am just going to go with it. She gathered together the usual group of suspects; Nib the Windling Wizard, Redsun the Troll Archer, and Vallone the Windling Shadow

We headed north along the road and then to where Bloodbeat said she remembered the village. We found the small busy town of Kohldur and got some information from the guards about the current situation. Several “greats” grandson Viktor Oakbraid ran the family apothecary but was doing a lousy job. We talked to him and found out some flying creatures took over his primary supply location. He had hired some adepts to scout out the area, but they could not resolve the situation. While we were in his shop, Viktor had a fishy meeting with someone in the back room. We are starting to think there might be some criminal activity going on, either purposefully watering-down potions or possibly forced to by a third party.

We went and talked with the two adepts Viktor hired; Elf Scout Gwynevere and Troll Swordmaster Xhorth. They told us that three harpies had taken over the area and were feeding on pumpkins. They were new adepts, so they weren’t able to deal with them. The group headed east the next morning to the pumpkin patch.

We scouted the pumpkin patch and saw that there were four harpies. We were able to take down all four with no injuries to the party. Being late in the day, we decided to spend the night in an abandoned farmhouse nearby. The next morning we headed back to Throal to figure out what was going on with Viktor.

On the road back to Throal, five troajin attacked us and seemed to be controlled by a cloaked, hooded figure. Again, the party fought well and took down all five with no injuries. The figure slipped away before the fight. The rest of the trip to Throal was uneventful.

When we got back to Viktor’s apothecary, the place was ransacked, and Viktor was missing. The cloaked figure showed up and tried to bribe us to leave the matter be and that he was holding Viktor somewhere. He was a Beastmaster adept roughly our circle and looked to be an Elf from his height and build. We were about to fight when Nib warned us about three more powerful beings nearby. We let him go, but we will notify Throal of the criminal activity and hopefully come back to fix the issue.

Before leaving town, we found out there was another Beastmaster in the area, and we went to talk with her. Her name was Veridian, but she didn’t have any information about a Beastmaster who controlled troajin.

redwraith

Post by redwraith » Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:31 pm

Today was just another day here in Throal, I'm really missing being outside. I think I should spend some more time investigating the near by towns for a nice place outdoors to live. The day started off normal but soon changed as Bloodbeat came around looking for some companions to join here on a trip to a Kaer she knew in a previous life?? Well she has apparently died multiple times so what if she has memories of those previous lives. Still a little odd.

Bloodbeat had gathered Mal, Nib and a new adept I haven't meet before, Vallone another shadow. Vallone is a Windling and he does seem to know my friend Juniper so we had something to chat about on our journey. We traveled several days from Throal to Kohldur a small town to the north west of Throal. The wind and the sun feel great as does the open sky.

Once we arrived at Kohldur, we asked the guards to direct us to the apothecary, which the owner Bloodbeat had assisted before the Scourge. They told us that the apothecary was now being run by Victor and the shop had a less than stellar reputation. We thanked them and made our way to the shop and Bloodbeat introduced herself to Victor and after some time figuring out Victor's lineage and how Bloodbeat knew his great, greater, greatest gandfather?? we started to ask about present day. Victor's shop seemed to be a little on the lean side and the potions on the shelves seemed to be weak or even so watered down to be useless. Victor explained that a local supply of herbs he needed to produce his potions had been infested with some winged creatures who had killed some guards and chased off a couple of adepts.

While we were talking with Victor someone entered the back of the shop and Victor paled and make excuses to go into the back to meet with this person. I could only hear a part of the conversation but it was tense and seemed to be about money and payment. Victor just told us that he was talking to his new supplier. This smells of criminal activity to me but Victor is to young and naive to be anything more than a victim. Victor asked us to investigate the pumpkin patch and remove these winged creatures then he could get supplies and stop watering down his limited stock of potions. We agreed to help the young dwarf. He indicated that the previous adepts he sent to the pumpkin patch were in the local tavern.

The adepts were a troll swordsmith and an elven scount, Xhorf and Gwynevere. They explained that there were two humanoid winged creatures at the patch and based on their description I identified them as Harpies. Nasty dirty creatures which didn't improve Bloodbeat's opinion any, she apparently has a thing against winged creatures. They provided us with a crude map and directions to the patch and wished us good luck.

Once we arrived at the patch we noticed that there were in fact four Harpies. We setup at the edge of the pumpkin patch along the tree line and engaged them in combat. They rushed us and started to insult our mothers and something about our shoes. I ignored them and we quickly dispatched of them before any of us could be badly injured. After we brief combat we investigated the local farm house to find it abandoned and we stayed the night before making our way back to town.

On our journey back to town a group of Troajin attacked us but they seemed to be directed to attack us by a figure in a green cloak. We quickly killed or chased off the Troakin but not before the figure I had noticed escaped. I figure that Victor's new supplier wasn't happy with our interference and wanted to dispatch us on our way back to town. His ability to control animals leads us to believe he is a Beastmaster adept of some power.

once back in town we started to inquiry about local Beastmaster adepts, Xhorf and Gwyn directed us to a local farmer named Veridian who helped with animals for her neighboring farmers. She didn't seem to fit the person in the cloak and was a kind soul. Talking with the guard about new comers to town who favored cloaks, they directed us to a merchant in the tavern but he was a T'shrang and our mystery attacker didn't have a tail.

We eventually made our way to Victor's shop or what was left of it. Someone had ransacked it during our absence. Nib was looking around astrally while the rest of us used more mundane senses to search the shop when Nib noticed someone approaching. The cloaked figure entered the shop and tossed us some coin and informed us that Victor wasn't here and "asked" us to leave town. Nib also noticed that there were several other astral presences just outside and suggested that we wait for a better time to confront the cloaked figure.

The cloaked figure then left and we all discussed the fact that a criminal element was in Kohldur and that we all were very interested in coming back to find Victor and bring the criminals to justice. I felt a burning desire to come back here and find the truth of what was going on with Victor and this cloaked figure and bring justice to all.