Claw Shaped tails?

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
PiXeL01
Claw Shaped tails?

Post by PiXeL01 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:01 pm

Does Claw Shape enhance tail damage as well?
The reason I ask is that the Tail Attack entry states the damage can be modified by talents modifying unarmed damage, which Claw Shape does.
Also some T'Skrang have spiked tails. So could Claw Shape cause spikes to sprout from a t'skrang tail?

I asked the above question in another thread but it got lost in the torrent of discussion.

etherial

Re: Claw Shaped tails?

Post by etherial » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:36 pm

Sure.

RazanMG

Post by RazanMG » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:37 pm

Yes, Claw Shape modifies unarmed damage but only for hands. Its a knack area to let it change tail, feet into claws/spikes. Thats because of Swift Kick combo.

Dougansf

Post by Dougansf » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:56 pm

I see no mechanical problem with allowing Claw Shape to affect the tail attack... except for one.

If the character uses the Tail Attack option (for the extra attack) then Claw Shape should be limited to enhancing one attack per round.

The Undying

Post by The Undying » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:15 pm

So, bottom line, I don't think it'd break anything if you allowed it, but I would recommend a Racial Knack just for completeness.

In the other thread, Mataxes went through a fairly detailed explanation about how Claw Shape was designed to basically give Beastmasters the damage equivalent of a Broadsword. Under THAT vision, I really don't think that allowing Claw Shape on tail attacks is within the design. However, T'skrang can attach weapons to their tails, weapons can be improved via Forge Weapon, so I think that spirit of the design still fits (Beastmaster wouldn't be toting weapons, including on their tail, so they should get thrown a bone, including for the tail).

Why might a Knack be good? Well, it IS technically a new use case, which really should require a Knack rather than just a modification to RAW. Additionally, since Claw shape originally was designed as a Broadsword replacement (Broadsword is Size 3 with Damage Step 5) and tails can only wield a Size 2 weapon, a minor power reduction when used with a tail (probably down to Rank + STR + 1). Is that necessary? Definitely no, can be a little clunky, BUT it makes sense.

ragbasti

Post by ragbasti » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:59 am

I've had this case in a previous game and we also handled it through a knack.
We made it a rather low-rank Knack that the adept could get early, somewhere around Talent Rank 4 or 5.

I did limit its use though, to a single attack per round.