AAR [7M]: 'Honeys' Boo Boo' 18Jun2020 @ 2000 GMT

The current version of the Earthdawn West Marches Discord campaign, effective Jan 1, 2020

Moderator:etherial

Shokunin
AAR [7M]: 'Honeys' Boo Boo' 18Jun2020 @ 2000 GMT

Post by Shokunin » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:08 am

Adventurers: TBD by Karl Tomsson
GM: Vlolkir
Circle: 7
Difficulty: medium

Your ale jacks slosh and your stools shift to make room as Karl leans in to be heard above the raucous songs heralding the approach of the new year in the hot, close tavern. "Look it's not far, but the T'Skrang refuse to take anyone across for free, and they for sure refuse to take anyone across the river alone, now, after hearing what we saw North of the Serpent."

"Honestly though it should be a simple affair! What do you say?"
Last edited by Shokunin on Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aegharan

Re: LFG [7M]: 'Honeys' Boo Boo' 18Jun2020 @ 2000 GMT

Post by Aegharan » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:17 am

Name: Karl Tomsson
Date of Last Game Played: My request
ECR: 7
Discipline: Archer (7) & Beastmaster (4)
Quote/Unique: I see.
Notable Abilities: Social skills, tactics, seeing everything, can kill everything he sees.
Downtime:
Animal Training (talent rank 2 step 11)
Forge Weapon (rank 5 Step 16, 3 successes if not forged, 2 after that)
Research (Rank 3 Step 14, or Step 17 with Library Access)

Montaugh

Post by Montaugh » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:00 pm

Name: William Carver
Date Last Played June 13th, 2020
ECR: 7 (110,125 LP)
Race: Human
Discipline: Scout 7 Thief 5, Journeyman 1
Quote/Unique: I'll get you there and back again.
Notable Abilities:
Talented: Locks/Traps, Stealth/Scouting, Ranged/Melee, map making. Animal bond/borrow. Safe Path!! Sleeps with One Eye Open
Items: Pure Water Pot (cast the Purify Water spell, p. 190, with a Spellcasting and Effect Step of 8/2D6 on any liquid placed in them). Upandal's Blessings (tools that let him reroll failed artisan checks)
Potions:Kelia's Antidote (1), Booster Potion (3), Kelix's Poultice (1), Halt Illness Potion (1), Healing Potion (2), Last Chance Salve (2)
Mounted: Huttawa named Charlie
Downtime: Forge Weapon (3) Step 8, Research 3(10) (13 with library access) Item History 5 (12).

ottdmk

Post by ottdmk » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:45 pm

Name: Dubhan Goronich
Date of Last Game Played: 2020-06-13
Circle: 8 (ECR 8, 200,070 legend)
Discipline: Wizard
Unique: Spells (Buffs, Astral Sensing, Debuffs, etc.), Physician
Downtime: Research Step 24 (Don't bother with Library access)
Alchemy Step 11 (Booster Potions, Small Light Crystals, Kelix' Poultice) (2 Days Downtime).
Creation of Spell Matrix Objects: 5 days Downtime, 1,000 sp for Standard, 2,000 sp for Enhanced (Craft True Pattern Step 28). And yes, that's the 1/2 off price. :D
Design Enchanting Pattern: Minimum 4 TIPs, 2 weeks Downtime, contact for details
Craft True Pattern (i.e. create Thread Item): Requires a Pattern. 3 TIPs minimum, 2 weeks Downtime, contact for details
Last edited by ottdmk on Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Waijhou

Post by Waijhou » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:55 pm

Name: Xeviouz
Date of Last Game Played: June 6, 2020
Circle: 7/2
Discipline:Warrior/Horror Stalker
Unique: Sword & Board
Downtime: ---

Shokunin

Post by Shokunin » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:12 am

AAR: Honeys' Boo Boo
GM: Vlolkir
ECR: 7
Difficulty: Medium
Alternate Rewards: N/A
Player Rewards:
Karl: 13,000 LP, 775 SP, 3 TIPs, Honey Bear
Xeviouz: 13000 LP, 775 SP, 3 TIPs
William: 13000 LP, 775 SP, 3 TIPs
Dubhan: 13000 LP, 775 SP, 3 TIPs

Journal Reward: +650 LP, +193.75 SP

GM Reward: Vlolkir 13,000 Legend, 750 sp, 3 TIPs

Downtime:
Animal Training (talent rank 2 step 11)
Forge Weapon (rank 5 Step 16, 3 successes if not forged, 2 after that)
Research (Rank 3 Step 14, or Step 17 with Library Access)
Forge Weapon (3) Step 8, Research 3(10) (13 with library access) Item History 5 (12).
Research Step 24 (Don't bother with Library access)
Alchemy Step 11 (Booster Potions, Small Light Crystals, Kelix' Poultice) (2 Days Downtime).
Creation of Spell Matrix Objects: 5 days Downtime, 1,000 sp for Standard, 2,000 sp for Enhanced (Craft True Pattern Step 28). And yes, that's the 1/2 off price. 
Design Enchanting Pattern: Minimum 4 TIPs, 2 weeks Downtime, contact for details
Craft True Pattern (i.e. create Thread Item): Requires a Pattern. 3 TIPs minimum, 2 weeks Downtime, contact for details

ottdmk

Post by ottdmk » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:37 am

From the Journal of Dubhan Goronich:

I swear, nature keeps getting worse and worse every time I step out in it. Every. Single. Time.

So, as usual these days, my journey out into the field came about due to a request from a friend. Karl the Archer has successfully branched out into Beastmaster, and like many who follow that Discipline he's been looking for a special animal to share his journeys with. Having seen the efficiency of Jael and his beasts, I suppose I can't blame him. Karl had apparently spotted a type of bear he found interesting on a journey across the Serpent River a little while back, and he convinced William, Xevious and myself to accompany him back there to try and find one to befriend.

Well, naturally we went to Sosanopa. Seems the T'skrang there were still celebrating the new year. Still, we managed to convince one of them to ferry us across, despite misgivings. (Those misgivings are apparently related to Karl's last trip across the river; I need to do some research on that after I submit this entry.)

Just as we got across we were attacked by various creatures, most of them elementally aspected. I was nearly eaten by a water-aspected crab. Very disheartening. Still, I got my licks in, and after we finished off (mostly just ran off) the menagerie William found us a safe place to camp. I mostly healed up thanks to my Garlen Stone.

We didn't camp overnight however. Karl & William managed to get on the trail of one of those bears. We found what appeared to be a momma bear and a cub in a lair with some type of lizards. Another big fight. Those lizards were tough! We're just lucky that one of them was preoccupied with mama bear. (Turns out that lizard was also a momma, protecting a clutch of eggs.)

William almost died, but a Last Chance Salve managed to bring him back. Karl, meanwhile, was bequeathed a juvenile bear by the momma. That's strange, even for Beastmasters. I'm not sure I believe him entirely, but the fact he went back to Throal with the bear is incontrovertible.

Waijhou

Re: AAR [7M]: 'Honeys' Boo Boo' 18Jun2020 @ 2000 GMT

Post by Waijhou » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:36 am

THursday June 18, 2020
Your ale jacks slosh and your stools shift to make room as Karl leans in to be heard above the raucous songs heralding the approach of the new year in the hot, close tavern. "Look it's not far, but the T'Skrang refuse to take anyone across for free, and they for sure refuse to take anyone across the river alone, now, after hearing what we saw North of the Serpent."
"Honestly though it should be a simple affair! What do you say?"
My friend Karl Asks me to join him on an adventure close to the WyrmWood Forest. We are in search of Honey Bears. And it will be cold! Also along for the trip are Dhuban the Wizard, and William Carver the Scout. We leave Throal and head out along the road to the village of Sosanopa. Not many fishing boats out on the river. Looks like all of the fields have been harvested. Nobody at the front gate or along the walls. So we walk in. Smoke coming from the chimney of the big house so we head over. Looks like there was a hell of a party last night. T’Skrang passed out all over the place hehe. There is music playing and we are offered fish and drinks.
We are trying to get a captain to take us across the Serpent river and none want to. THey have all heard the reports of what has become of the WyrmWood Forest. We book passage across the river from a local riverboat captain. Sense it is so close to the New years festival his regular crew is not available. We have to help row/pole the barge across. The Captain will wait till dinner time then leave, and come back the next day.
As soon as we get to the other side of the river, we are attacked by a couple large frogs that spit acid and 3 willow wisps. In the heat of battle 2 giant lobsters come and join the fight, on the frogs side. The willow whisps all disappear into the ground. We kill the 2 frogs. THe giant lobsters are almost dead and they burrow into the ground and leave.
We hike away from the beach for a little while, following William Carver who is finding a safe path. We rest and recover for a couple hours. THen Karl begins to lead the way to where we think the bears are. He is mystically tracking. I try to make a suggestion to stop and rest again but I am over ruled by Karl who wants to follow the bear tracks. We follow the bear tracks into a cave. There is fighting in the cave. We go in and there are 4 large lizard like things (trakkonya)fighting the bear and a bear cub. The Strakkonya are vicious, I get chomped on and trapped in ones jaws. Willam Carver ends up taking a vicious wound and falls in battle. We are able to triumph over the creatures, Karl befriends the bear so it wont attack us. We pull William Carver out of the cave, tend his wounds and apply a last chance salve. William wakes up. Karl runs off after the bear who is running off into the trees with the cub. We rest the rest of this day and the night recovering from our fight with the lizards. The next day Karl returns with the bear, they seem to be fast friends.
We head back to the river and meet the captain of the boat that brought us over. We get a ride back across, and return to Throal.

Montaugh

Post by Montaugh » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:55 am

My name is William Carver, I am a 7th Circle Scout, 5th Circle Thief and on the rank one Path of the Journeyman.

Karl sought us out to find a honey bear, in the dead of winter... when bears sleep. For this trip I should have stayed in bed as it cost me my life, quite literally.
I was joined on the adventure with Karl by Xeviouz, and Dubhan.

Our journey started just after the new year, parties were still happening and the snow was deep on the ground as we made our way to Sosanopa. I am continually surprised that no one else has gotten a trusty Huttawa like Charlie. We need to press on wards and outwards to reclaim the lands and explore them! We can not just keep traveling on foot to do so. At Soanopa the party was still roaring when we entered the tavern there looking for passage across the river. A T'srang dancer came up and tried to dance with Karl and I, while her husband.. mate.. hatchband.. do T'srang even marry... I have no idea, but they seemed a couple in the other T'srang's eyes. Xeviouz partook of the celebration and had a thick meal of beer, I sampled some so as not to be rud, but I don't like to drink on the day of an adventure outing. Maybe I should have as bad things happened anyways..

We found passage across the river and made arrangements for him to return after he was done with his work and wait for us until evening meal time for the next two weeks. We should be done by then I figured.. one way or another.

We crossed the serpent and landed roughly, we were attacked by horrible creatures! Some were venomous frogs that spit acid, that ate into my armor Peili scoring its fine finish. Then we has some will o wisps, and finally yes there was more we were attacked by sand lobsters. The frogs were the first to die but the other creatures ran like smart creatures when our party turned out not to be an easy meal.

Next we tracked a bear that Karl was looking for in the lair of another beast. Giant lizards that had been eating honey bears. We engaged and the fight was going well, we killed one of them easily enough, but the other just would not die. We were exhausted at this point as well. The magic imbuing our attacks with that something extra was running dry. And then the frost badger attacked from its hole... I managed to bond with it and it scurried back into its hole waiting for us to die or to kill the bears and lizards so that it can feast. While we were attacking the second of the three lizards it charged me and knocked me down, then it was knocked down in turn and barely alive. With its last bit of energy it finished the job it started on me rolling and trampling me with its feet.

I was awoken sometime later in a great deal of pain and short a booster potion, healing potion and a Last Chance Salve. I had died and my friends brought me back to life. I live this day again thanks to them. While I was barely conscious and could hardly move I knew I couldn't let that creature out of the cavern it was living within, so using some of the last of my strength I trapped the hell out of the entrance, and while doing so I came upon a really nice pair of Huntsman boots. I am not sure what the leather is made out of and they seem to have teeth on their soles. I really like them and put them in my pack for later study in town.

This trip as taught me much and that I have good friends that will bring be back from death.

William Carver

Aegharan

Post by Aegharan » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:50 pm

It's deepest winter in Barsaive, yet still people report sightings of Honey Bears north of the Serpent. These animals should be in hibernation this time of the year. I assembled William, Xeviouz, and Dubhan and we made our way up north.
The travel towards Sosanopa was cold, but otherwise uneventful. Arriving in the fishing village we find the T'Skrang still celebrating the new year. We were invited to the feast and were happy about the opportunity to warm up. When we mentioned crossing the river though, the music and dancing stopped. Apparently our tale of visiting the Wyrm Wood has lead to the fishermen not crossing the river anymore. We did however convince one boater sporting an eye-patch who is willing to take us across. He also agrees to check the river daily if we need a passage back.

While crossing the river we notice a dense fog on the northern bank. Right as the boat reaches the riverbank and we start getting off the boat, we notice two Bullfrog-type Lizard-frog, sitting in a kind of rock-boulder. Along with it there are some wavering balls of light, casting spells at us. And while we try to sort ourselves, getting attacked right after making land, two giant lobsters erupt from the ground, shredding into Dubhan and Xeviouz. I swiftly killed one of the Bullfrogs, then start taking care of one of the lobsters. My magic serves me well, not getting hit once. Dubhan and Xeviouz however got some good tear from the lobsters' Pincers.
Apart from the Toads we didn't kill anything, as these creatures all burrowed into the ground once severely wounded.William communes with an Earth Elemental and finds us a safe path to a good resting spot.

We searched the area for signs of Bears and found bloody markings and some fur. William follows the foottracks, I found it using some fur a bear lost. We came upon a Honey Bear which notices us approaching, threatened us shortly, but ran off quickly. We followed it and see it enter a mouth of a burrow. Approaching cautiously we heard sounds of what could be a bear fighting some other creature. Entering the cave we see the Bear fighting several huge lizards. Also around are several pieces of Bear and Lizard lying around.
Immediately we joined the fight, disposing of one of the lizards with our combined forces and one hit from each of us. We did however not get as lucky with our hits when going against the next one. All luck left us. Few of our strikes hit, and those who did glanced off of the beast's thick armor. We did manage to knock it over eventually, though it did not stop fighting. William tried to absolve this creature from its pain, but got caught between its massive legs and got trampled to death. Lucky for us, and William especially, we managed to kill the second lizard. Looking at the third, I spot it not moving away from an indenture in the ground, protecting a nest and eggs. In the far off corner is a Bear Cub in hiding.
I have a slightly risky idea and manage to dominate the bear's will and command it away from the lizard. Luckily I am correct in that the last Lizard isn't suddenly free and kills all of us, but stays there to protect its eggs. I tell Xeviouz and Dubhan to get William out and I will follow with the Bears when they made it out safely. The cub also joins in and senses that I mean him no harm. I got both bears out of the cave, give them a treat, and sent them off. They did make it roughly a hundred yards towards the treeline when my dominating their Willpower wore off. They turned around and seemed to wait for me.

After bringing William back from the grasp of death thanks to Alchemy, I follow the bears. The wounds and strain from the long fight tear at me, so the walk is strenuous, but it seemed to be the same for the Bears. I joined up with them, offering the occasional treat, and walked besides the Cub, following the big one.
"Big one" is an interesting term however, as we reach our destination about an hour after and find the real "big bear". It seems the one who guided us to the cave was a nearly grown youngling, and it led me to its Momma Bear. She was struck by even more wounds. Apparently she also was the one who had fought savagely in the cave, and lost a good portion of blood over there. I tended to the bears' wounds and fed them with water, my rations, and what flora I found around us. I then took care of my own wounds, and spent the night with them.
On the next day, the bears got ready to move on. I tried my hands at bonding with the Bear that fought alongside us, and we both felt the connection. The mother bear and the cub looked at us and moved along, back to the direction of the Wyrm Wood. My new companion and I went back to my namegiver friends. William was well again, and also Xeviouz and Dubhan looked way better than the day before.

Approaching the river got us really strange looks from the T'Skrang, but he did ferry us across. Arriving back in Throal I spent the nexst weeks working with my bear. I named him Reuben.