Looooot!

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Slimcreeper
Looooot!

Post by Slimcreeper » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:00 am

Tinker’s Holdout
It has a variety of small screwdrivers, rasps, hammers, corkscrews, awls, hooks, and so on folded into a hand-held case. If provides a +2 to any test that could benefit from using a tool. It will even allow the user to default to an attribute, if a tool would normally be used on the task. If the task would be impossible without a specialized kit or workshop, it doesn't make the impossible possible. It might partially offset the penalty for trying something that would normally require a fully outfitted workshop or kit (such as a forge), but doesn’t eliminate it.

One-legged Stool
The one-legged stool is a Passion-send after a long day on the trail. It looks like a simple wooden disk with a small dowel attached to the center. When the traveler taps on the dowel it telescopes out to make a one-legged stool of a comfortable height for the person. If a person rests on it long enough to eat a meal or make a recovery test, all fatigue and penalties from minor injuries, such as sprained ankles or sunburn, are relieved for the rest of the day.

Quick-release Climbing Kit
The pitons included in this kit are designed for the conscientious adventure, in that they do not mar the surface they are used to climb. The climber pushes the pitons against the surface instead of hammering them in. The points of the pitons, which are woven with both Elemental Earth and Water, smoosh against the surface. As long as it is not perfectly smooth, such as metal or glass, the piton sticks as firmly as if it were driven in. To release the piton, the climber simply whispers a command word to either the piton itself or a rope tied to the piton and it comes loose

Dress with Pockets
This dress has several hidden pockets that combine the magic of the Conceal Object talent and the Quiet Pouch. It will hold up to 3 items that can be held in one hand. The person can make a Conceal Object test for each item with a +1 bonus; if they don’t have the talent or skill they can default to Dexterity with +1 bonus.

Silk Mule
A silk mule is a silk tapestry, usually about 3 by 5 feet in size, with a short cord attached to one corner. It is woven with elemental air. When the cord is pulled, it rises off the ground to a height of about 3 feet. It can be pulled along without effort, as long as it is over a relatively smooth surface, such as a road. Pulling it over rougher terrain requires a Dexterity test every hour of travel, with a TN determined by the type of the terrain. It will hold up to 200 lbs.

Long-sight Gem
Long-sight Gems can be made from any large crystal, but are most effective if made from a large flawless sapphire or emerald. When held up to the eye, they eliminate up to -2 in penalties to perceive things at a distance. Very fine gems may eliminate up to -4 in penalties.

ender3rd

Re: Looooot!

Post by ender3rd » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:03 am

Prices?

Tinker's Holdout - combines with 5th circle Weaponsmith ability to have a forge anywhere with almost no penalty.

Silk Mule - What happens if the dex test fails? What about bringing 3 of them along behind one person?

Long-sight Gem - Very similar to the Monocculeye from the Travar book. Can they be combined?

Dress with Pockets: yes!

Lars Gottlieb

Post by Lars Gottlieb » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:57 am

I love the idea that a dress with actual working Pockets is such a novel idea it has to have special rules =P

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:44 pm

I was hoping for feedback before going further with the design process - I wanted to play with the Companion rules some.

I think I will specify that Tinker's Holdout only helps with skills, but doesn't stack with talents.

If you fail a dex test with a silk mule it dumps all of your stuff on the ground. Hmm, making a silk mule train? I think it might be possible, but would require a dex tests.

You know Long-sight gems are basically the same thing as Monocculeyes. I was probably subconsciously inspired by them. They should be described as re-skinned Monocculeyes, more common on airships and riverboats. It does have different mechanics, though. They shouldn't be combined, one would suffer a terrible headache afterwards.

I saw a Dress With Pockets for DnD on Twitter :D

ragbasti

Post by ragbasti » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:30 am

Slimcreeper wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:44 pm
I was hoping for feedback before going further with the design process - I wanted to play with the Companion rules some.

I think I will specify that Tinker's Holdout only helps with skills, but doesn't stack with talents.

If you fail a dex test with a silk mule it dumps all of your stuff on the ground. Hmm, making a silk mule train? I think it might be possible, but would require a dex tests.

You know Long-sight gems are basically the same thing as Monocculeyes. I was probably subconsciously inspired by them. They should be described as re-skinned Monocculeyes, more common on airships and riverboats. It does have different mechanics, though. They shouldn't be combined, one would suffer a terrible headache afterwards.

I saw a Dress With Pockets for DnD on Twitter :D
I agree, Tinker's Holdout needs to have some kind of limitation, Weaponsmith 5 was already mentioned and I think this is where most people will try to use it. It could specify that the enchantment on the kit does combine well with other magical means of creation, so talents and abilities are automatically out.

Silk Mule sounds fun, but maybe add that the objects it transports cannot be moving, as it throws off the balance of the rug :P
That way it can be used to transport an unconscious person but people riding the rug will have a hard time balancing it, having to make the Dex-test themself.

Nothing to add to the dress, it's perfect :D

The Quick-release Climbing kit should have a rope added to it. Tucking the rope 3 times will release the piton at the other end of it after you are done climbing down.

The gem seems a bit redundant but I see nothing wrong with it otherwise.

I think this could become a fun little community project.Gathering all kinds of low-power magic and thread items that people have come up with.

Lursi

Post by Lursi » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:15 am

Hannibal’s facemask

Straincost: 1/min
This mask enables the user to talk to his fellow adventurers without alerting the guard standing in 20m distance. All voice related sound waves are attenuated (perception test +2/2m distance)
Of all things I lost, sanity I held dearest.

ChrisDDickey

Post by ChrisDDickey » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:56 am

ragbasti wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:30 am
Tinker's Holdout needs to have some kind of limitation, Weaponsmith 5 was already mentioned and I think this is where most people will try to use it.
Actually a lot of activities could benefit from the use of a tool of some sort or another. Opening Locks, Picking Pockets (to cut the purse loose), Navigation, Wilderness Survival (hatchet or knife), Climbing, etc. Maybe Air Sailing, Animal Training, etc.
It's possible that this could be used a LOT.

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:30 pm

One of my players has this:

Corded Belt
This powerful and stylish magical item can be worn as a belt. It can also be used as a strong cord that will stretch up to 50 yards and hold up to 1000 lbs. The owner can shorten or lengthen it quickly by passing their hand over it and muttering a command word. It cannot carry a load while being shortened. In addition, as a fashion accessory, it is universal and timeless.

Also, I rewrote the Tinker's Holdout. This is significantly less powerful, but more inline with what I wanted it to do:

Tinker's Holdout
This small device has a variety of small screwdrivers, rasps, hammers, corkscrews, awls, hooks, and so on folded into a hand-held case. It is useful for a variety of arts, crafts and repairs. It will offset up to 2 points of penalties for attempting to repair or create something without the proper workshop or tool kit.

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:48 pm

Tidy Dust
Tidy dust is a security measure that is either the sign of unhealthy paranoia, or a totally justified preventative step, depending on the sort of enemies you have made. The complete item consists of a pouch of very fine dust and a clear crystal lens bound in a metal hoop. Usually the pouch has a padded pocket for storing the lens. A pinch of the dust may be spread over a small area, such as a desk, a doorknob, or a chest. At this point, it is very nearly invisible to the naked eye. However, it is very easily seen when viewed through the lens. If anyone has disturbed the area, it will be immediately obvious. The dust lasts on a surface for a full day. The pouch can be used roughly 100 times before the enchantment must be renewed.

Moonsong

Post by Moonsong » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:40 am

Lars Gottlieb wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:57 am
I love the idea that a dress with actual working Pockets is such a novel idea it has to have special rules =P
This is obviously an illusion cast by a VERY vicious horror (probably male) to lure in female and GNC adepts with this never before seen item that has supernatural appeal.

Moonsong