High Circle Preview: Weaponsmith

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Mataxes
High Circle Preview: Weaponsmith

Post by Mataxes » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:23 pm

Another week is almost past. So let's look at the Weaponsmith.

http://fasagames.com/2017/01/27/high-ci ... aponsmith/
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

Loba

Re: High Circle Preview: Weaponsmith

Post by Loba » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:48 pm

Mataxes wrote:Another week is almost past. So let's look at the Weaponsmith.

http://fasagames.com/2017/01/27/high-ci ... aponsmith/

Apparently people found this one less interesting.

Question: What happens if the item forged is forged by more than one person. Can the Weaponsmith still use Blood Bound Forge? Certainly a basic sword or such would never run into this dilemma. However, a perfectly leather wrapped hilt built by the best leather smith, the beautifully crafter pommel by an amazing jeweler and the guard and blade by a world renowned weapon smith - can all three of these folks enhance the weapon? "Sword of Queens"

The Undying

Post by The Undying » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:59 pm

I don't think there's anything wrong with the Warden/Master levels, but like you said, I'd venture to say that people just aren't super excited by/for it. Weaponsmiths are great, but most of their pre-Warden value is very much downtime-esque stuff (Forges, Item History, etc).

I do have to say, I am really not looking forward to the foolishness of Step 50 damage these tiers bring to the universe...

ragbasti

Post by ragbasti » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:39 pm

Personally, I am super excited for the Weaponsmith.

I used to play one in 2nd edition and it always bothered me that he was basically a giant damage sponge for physical and especially magical damage but had very little cababilities to retaliate. Or just do things in combat in general. This also wasn't fixed in 3rd edition. One of the major issues always being armor defeating hits.
Now you can finally build him as a fortress character, who becomes even more amazing with the new ability to focus abilities that are being used on your companion to yourself.
He seems a lot less passive in fights than his previous iterations (if you choose to turn him into that)

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:02 am

Well, personally I'm pleased. I'm planning on greatly increasing the number of evil Weaponsmiths in Barsaive.