AAR: [2] Excalibur Overboard (2020-03-06 @2200 GMT)

The current version of the Earthdawn West Marches Discord campaign, effective Jan 1, 2020

Moderator:etherial

Shokunin

Post by Shokunin » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:48 am

LFG: Excalibur Overboard
Time: 2020-03-06 @2200 GMT
GM: Vlolkir
Rating: 2 - Medium
Players: 4
Eligible Characters: 0 - 6,999 Lifetime Legend

Rumor: Bdzolgrojsh the Shinkicker has lost his threaded greatsword overboard in an unfortunate 'celebratory' incident. Now he is too 'busy' to go retrieve it himself, but promises a reward for others!

Please post your character as follows:

Name: 
ECR: 
Discipline: 
Quote/Unique: 
Notable Abilities: 
Downtime: 

Note: This game starts at 5pm EST
Last edited by Shokunin on Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aegharan

Re: LFG: [2] Excalibur Overboard (2020-03-06 @2200 GMT)

Post by Aegharan » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:32 am

Name: Karl Tomsson
ECR: 3
Discipline: Archer
Quote/Unique: Man, it's getting late.
Notable Abilities: Shooting stuff
Downtime:
Animal Training (rank 2 Step 7)
Forge Weapon (rank 3 Step 10)

Montaugh

Post by Montaugh » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:46 pm

Name: William Carver
ECR: 3 (3175 LP total) circle 2
Discipline: Scout
Race: Human
Quote/Unique: I'll get you there and back again
Notable Abilities: Talented survival, tracking, awareness Skilled traps, locks. Versatile Animal bond, Forge Weapons
Downtime: Forge Weapon 2 (step 8)

bronzemountain

Post by bronzemountain » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:38 pm

Name: Dvarim Bolg
ECR: 2
Discipline: Weaponsmith
Race: Dwarf
Quote/Unique: Anything can be fixed with a hammer. Including people.
Notable Abilities: Physician
Downtime: Forge Weapon 3

Waijhou

Post by Waijhou » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:01 pm

Name: Xeviouz
ECR: 2
Discipline: Warrior
Quote/Unique: Lets do this!
Notable Abilities: Sword and Board
Downtime: ---

Shokunin

Post by Shokunin » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:12 am

Excalibur Overboard
Time: 2020-03-06 @ 2200 GMT
GM: Vlolkir
Circle: 2
Difficulty: Medium

Player Rewards:
Xeviouz: 3 TIPs, 800 Legend, 200 Sp
Dvarim Bolg: 3 TIPs, 800 Legend, 200 Sp
William Carver: 3 TIPs, 800 Legend, 200 Sp, baby elephant (elephant, child mask, C3)
Karl Tomsson: 3 TIPs, 800 Legend, 200 Sp

GM Reward:
Vlolkir: 1 TIP, 800 Legend, 138 Sp

Downtime Actions Available:
Karl: Animal Training (rank 2 Step 7)
Forge Weapon (rank 3 Step 10)
Dvarim: Forge Weapon (rank 3 Step 10)

Researchers may spend 20 Silver for +3 Steps (the Haggle discount may lower this cost)

Further Information:
Bdzolgrojsh the Shinkicker will be released from the custody of the throalic guards in 2 days time, apples combined with hurlg cause an uncontrollable exothermic reaction, elephants spotted in 38.08 uncorrupted but very territorial

Waijhou

Re: AAR: [2] Excalibur Overboard (2020-03-06 @2200 GMT)

Post by Waijhou » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:23 am

Friday March 2, 2020
Excalibur Overboard

From the Journal of Xeviouz
A typical day in the life of Throal, I decided to go out to barter town and have a frosty adult beverage. End up at a tavern/pub called the Frothing Ferkin. As I walk up there is a rukus inside, things being smashed but it sounds like a party, so I go in. I see my old companion William Carver there so I have a drink with him. A troll and an Obsidiman sit at a table am wrestling. A troubadour trying to keep a song going to much of the shagrin of the crowd. There is an adept named Skin Kicker trying to tell his tale to the troubadour. How his band of adventurers saved a village from a horror spawn. Apparently Shinkicker dropped his sword overboard after saving the village and partying with his companions on the air ship on the way back to Throal. He wants to hire me and a few others to go find it.

Myself, Willliam Carver, Karl a human with a bow, Dvarim the Dwarven weaponsmith. We stop by the air ship Pegasus Wing and speak to the captain about the route they took from the village to throal. We leave Throal and head South West, then turn North West as we leave the foothills.

As we get close to the area we think the sword may be, we come across a river, we need to cross it. There is a old dilapidated rope bridge that we need to cross, there is a group of name givers on the other side of the rope bridge. The Obsidiman that is with them cuts the ropes for the bridge and it floats away down river. Dvarim uses the old bridge pieces to make floatation/swimming aids so we can get across the river.

We continue on our way looking for the sword. We get to a clear and Karl does some mystic thing on one of his arrows to locate the sword. We are heading in the right direction(according to Karl) and we see the group of name givers that cut the rope bridge! They try to sneak away but we see them and ask if they already found the sword. As we are talking to them a large elephant and 2 baby elephants come crashing out of the brush and attack us. It is a short battle as we drop the mother and one baby elephant. The other group wounded the second baby and it ran off. The Obsidiman from the rival group runs up and kicks Dvarim in the chest knocking him down. Just after Dvarim stands back up the T’skrang on the rival group runs up and knocks him down again. A short fight later and the T’skrang is unconscious and the Obsidiman picks up his elf archer so she cant shoot. We tend to the wounds of the injured. William and Karl keep trying to make friends with the injured elephants.

Aegharan

Post by Aegharan » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:04 am

William the Scout, Dvarim the Weaponsmith and Xeviouz the Warrior came along to the Frothin Furkin for some drinks. A group of Adepts was very loud, celebrating their return, and sharing storys. One Orc specifically, who named himself Shinkicker, did seem to miss his sword that fell down during the air ship travel. He pledged the sword's weight in silver to whomever brought his sword back. We jumped at this opportunity to straighten our legs and get out of town. We found out about the route the airship took, and the sword's connection to Shinkicker, who even provided me with some hairs of his beard to help me track his sword.

We set out and made good progress, until we happened upon a small stream. A second group of Namegivers had just crossed the bridge, noticed us and cut the bridge's ropes. Dvarim fastened us some boards we rode across the stream. At first I got washed down the river, but I later got the hang of it, around the time when Xeviouz suddenly had the idea of jumping up and onto shore, pulling us all behind him along the ropes.

We followed to the sword's assumed position, when William and I noticed the group from before, holding the sword we were searching. We told them that we expect them to repair the bridge and to share the reward with us, as we would have gotten it before them, had they not cheated in the search. There was some back and forth, and around the time they muttered "get them", some giant, grey beasts emerged from the jungles. Giant horns like Orcs were coming from their mouths, and their noses looked like snakes. The combat was swift and in our favor, taking down the big one, while the other Adepts scared off its babies. We had a small fight with the Adepts which ended with us Xeviouz knocking the T'Skrang down and us all sharing the reward, like we had proposed.

William managed to tame one of the baby elephants, which will surely make a great, strong companion.

bronzemountain

Post by bronzemountain » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:06 am

You Can Provoke Them (or Three Humans Help a Dwarf Help an Orc)
From the journal of Dvarim Bolg

One of my family's favorite holidays, through the generations, is Day Drinking Day. Which, it turns out, was today. Huzzah! As any Dwarf of discernment and youthful vigor knows, while the best fine establishments are in Throal, the best undiscovered joys are to be found in Bartertown.

My wanderings found me at the Frothing Firkin, which was building a reputation as a watering hole for Adepts, largely on account of its well reinforced walls. Never underestimate the enduring attraction of solid architecture. In fact, that very feature was being put to the test by one Bdzolgrojsh the Shinkicker whose name was as messy as his drinking.

A moment to examine the very idea of an Orcish hero. Bdzolgrojsh looked like he had lived some 73 hard years, which probably meant that he was 9. Orcs, am I right? He had the necessary ingredients of Orcish heroism. Equal parts bravado, random destruction, hurlg, and joie de vivre. His personal troubadour was in the process of recounting the story of how they had saved a very unlucky village that had apparently been attacked twice by Horror-crafted undead.

Being the sort of hero he was, Shinkicker had lost his sword. Not in the battle, but in the drunken revelry on the way to the battle. A charming sort of savage buffoonery, really. He offered the quite sizable sum of the sword's weight in silver to whomever recovered it.

Requiring seed capital for my own endeavors, I offered to take up the job, as did three humans. Such enterprising folk, the humans. Two of them I had traveled with before - Karl and William. One a Scout, the other an Archer, I honestly could not tell you which was which. They're both human, they both understand the wilderness, they both do well at a distance, and they both have an unrequited love of animals. The third human was a warrior named Xeviouz.

We did our research, which largely involved speaking to the Elven captain of a small air skiff called the Pegasi's Wings. I did a bit of repair work for him, and hope to build that relationship in the future. Never a bad thing to have an Air Sailor think well of you.

Based on the intelligence we gathered, we plotted our path and set off. We got ahead of most others who wanted the same prize but, it turned out, not all of them. We reached a river - ahh, what a challenge rivers are. An elf, a t'skrang, and an obsidiman had embarked on the same mission as us and had gotten just far enough ahead that they were on the more profitable bank of the river. And in a position to destroy the bridge we needed to cross.

Which, of course, they did.

Once again, engineering to the rescue! I managed to convert the debris from the bridge into a set of swimming boards. Plankswimmers? Riverboards? Kickboards? I shall have to consider the branding. They did the job admirably, as did the rope tying us together and Xeviouz's extraordinary swimming effort.

Upon catching up with our rivals, we entered into negotiations. I employed well-taught Dwarven mechanisms of diplomacy, focusing on establishing hierarchy and community. Others disparaged the technique as 'shit-talking'. Our discussion was, however, interrupted by a herd of absolutely bizarre creatures. William tells me the are called 'Elephants' which is just a weird word and I'm not certain I like it. We were also told that they were vulnerable to provocation.

Which was abundantly clear because they promptly charged all of us. Ahh, the secret wisdom of nature. Can be provoked, indeed.

Fighting was done, beasts were driven off, and one was even rendered unconscious; its affections to be argued over by William and Karl in the strangest of all possible love triangles.

We also elevated our discussion with our rivals into the realm of physical action. I proudly secured the low ground, which is to say that I spent most of that scuffle knocked on my ass. Hardly my proudest moment. Still, through the fantastic martial capabilities of my Human compatriots, we took the upper hand, and the blade in question.

We provided mercy and support to our wounded rivals, and returned safely to Bartertown, only to find that Shinkicker had been thrown in the drunk tank. No one anywhere in all of Throal or Barsaive was surprised. Still, we are a civilized people, and were able to visit him in holding, whereupon he honored his end of the deal and we found ourselves well recompensed for our efforts.

Not the noblest of adventures, perhaps, but educational and enriching nevertheless. Especially for William, who won the indifference of one of the smaller elephants, if not its affections.

Montaugh

Post by Montaugh » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:40 pm

My name is William Carver and I am a second circle Scout.

Our day began with some drinking at a local watering hole in Bartertown. Karl, Dvarim, Xeviouz, and I all had our drink. I had tried to get some mead, but instead I got a wine sweetened with honey. I think he put an entire hive into my wine as there was a thick layer of honey at the bottom of my glass. The others for the most part drank simple ale, I should have joined them with the ale it would have been far better than the wine.

We saw a group of adepts celebrating over their recent victory in Sosanopa, they were talking about defeating some cadavarmen. It sounded much like the adventure that I had been on a short while ago. Either our adventures are of a similar note which is troubling as that is a lot of horror activity around Sosanopa, or they are trying to grow their legends on the actual adventures on others.. also a troubling thought. It is something that could use more investigation at some point I suppose.

This adept had lost is sword overboard an airship. He offered to pay its weight in silver. Many overheard the discussion and they left ahead of us, we quickly left soon ourselves and the hunt was on.

The first thing we did was head to the airship to find the flight path that it took, this greatly reduced the area that we would need to search, also Karl asked for a bit of material from the shinkicker to find his sword.

We traveled along the route we had planned and came upon a river. A rope bridge was our way across when it was cut on the other side by another group of adepts that arrived ahead of us. We spent some time trying to figure out the best way across when Dvarim crafted us some boards which we used to aid us in crossing the river. It was basically a board with some rope tied to it, we then laid on the board and kicked with our feet. It made it easier to get across. I think his design was ingenious.

We crossed the river and arrived in the area with that we thought the sword would be in. Karl used a talent to lock in on the location better, he spun an arrow on his finger and it pointed in the direction of the sword. It just happened that the group we saw earlier had the sword on with them. They tried to hide, but they were not all that successful. Most of us saw them easily.

At first I thought a fight was going to break out over the sword, I mean they did find it first and we had no actual claim over it. I wasn't personally willing to kill them for it. We asked if they wanted to travel back to town as a group and split the reward and asked them to also fix the rope bridge. It was during this rather loud discussion that these huge monsters burst through the bushes. They had four legs, a long nose, grey skin, and gleaming ivory tusks. There was a large one and two small ones. A parent and the babies perhaps.

Karl engaged the largest creature with his bow. He hurt it badly and it charged at him. The smaller creatures attacked the other group of adepts. It didn't take long for the first baby to run away, and the other was soon knocked out. The adult was also handled quickly by our group.

It was then that things took a turn for the worst. The Obsidiman attacked and drove Dvarim into the ground. He got back up and the sword master drove him down once again. I attacked the obsidiman with my troll sling and karl traded arrows with their archer. Xevious attacked the swordmaster and quickly made short work of the T'srang. After the T'srang was down the fight was over.

Karl and I tried to tame the giant beast but failed and it wandered off after its other young. We decided to take the other child back with us to Throal having never encountered one of its kind before.

Karl and I each tried to tame it over the course of our trip back. The young creature ended up liking me more and I have decided to name him Trym.

We returned the sword to shinkicker and got our payment.

I do have some misgivings about taking the creature with us now that I've had a bit to think on it, and I have stayed with him while he mourns his losses. In the heat of the moment with everything being so new and being so excited to see such a great beast, I didn't stop to think about the life cycle of the creature. How long will it remain so young for? Was it as an actual age that it could be safely removed from its parent? Should I seek to return it to its parents? My instincts are telling me that I should seek to return it to the wild, as I don't know enough about the creature. Is it really any different from my huttawa though? Am I feeling this way because we were the ones that took Trym from his parents and I am spending this time bonding with him on a magical level. I bought Charlie, but the same would have happened to him. Can I even find that creature again given the time that has passed?

I don't know the answers to these questions. It is troubling to think about. I may not be able to change what I did, but I can change what I do in the future. I will do the best that I can do for Trym and for Charlie. I will do my best to ensure that they have the best life that I can give them, and I will think harder on my actions in the future.