AAR: [1st] River Access (2020-02-14@21:00 GMT)

The current version of the Earthdawn West Marches Discord campaign, effective Jan 1, 2020

Moderator:etherial

Aegharan
AAR: [1st] River Access (2020-02-14@21:00 GMT)

Post by Aegharan » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:52 pm

LFG: Adventure Name
Time: 2020-02-14@21:00GMT
GM: Aegharan
Rating: 1
Eligible Characters: 0 - 2,299 Lifetime Legend
Difficulty: Medium

Rumor: A group of Adepts is tasked with scouting accessible paths to the Serpent River

Please post your character as follows:

Code: Select all

[b]Name:[/b] 
[b]Circle:[/b] 
[b]Discipline:[/b]
[b]Quote/Unique:[/b] 
[b]Notable Abilities:[/b]
[b]Downtime:[/b]
Note: This game starts at 4pm Eastern.
Last edited by Aegharan on Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Montaugh

Re: LFG: [1st] River Access (2020-02-14@21:00 GMT)

Post by Montaugh » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:22 am

Name: William Carver
Race: Human
Circle: 2 (510 lifetime legend points)
Discipline: Scout
Quote/Unique: I will get you there and back again, with your shield or on it.
Notable Abilities: Skilled in traps, locks, map making. Talented with creatures analysis, survival, exploration and navigation.
Downtime:no downtime at the moment

Waijhou

Post by Waijhou » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:49 am

Name: Xeviouz
Circle: 2 (930 Lifetime LP)
Discipline: Warrior
Quote/Unique: Lets do this!
Notable Abilities: Sword and board
Downtime: ----
Last edited by Waijhou on Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shokunin

Post by Shokunin » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:21 am

Name: Vlolkir
Race: Troll
Circle: 2 (1100 lifetime legend points)
Discipline: Skyraider
Quote/Unique: faster stronger better than before
Notable Abilities: reasonably perceptive and subtle, or not as the case requires

sigfriedmcwild

Post by sigfriedmcwild » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:46 pm

Name: Norg
Circle: 1 (0 LP)
Discipline: Gauntlet
Quote/Unique: Power is nothing without control
Notable Abilities: PUNCH!
Downtime: none

ChrisDDickey

Post by ChrisDDickey » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:04 pm

Name: Zil
Race: Windling
Circle: 2
Discipline: Elementalist
Quote/Unique: Travel in style with a party Elementalist! Heat Food! Shelter! Purify Water! Air Mattress.
Notable Abilities: Physician.
Downtime: Research rank 3, step 10 (step 13 if pay 20sp for library access).

Aegharan

Re: AAR: [1st] River Access (2020-02-14@21:00 GMT)

Post by Aegharan » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:07 am

River Access
Time: 2020-02-14@21:00 GMT
GM: Aeggy
Circle: 1
Difficulty: Medium

Player Rewards:
Zil: 200 Legend, 150 Silver, 3 TIPs
William Carver: 200 Legend, 150 Silver, 3 Tips.
Norg: 200 Legend, 150 Silver, 3 Tips
Vlolkir: 200 legend, 150 silver, 3 TIPs
Xeviouz 200 LP, 150 Silver, 3 TIPs

GM Reward:
Karl Tomsson: 400 Legend, 115 Silver, 1 TIP.

Downtime Actions Available:
Research rank 3, step 10 (step 13 if pay 20sp for library access).
Researchers may spend 20 Silver for +3 Steps

Further Information:
A fishers' town called "Sosanopa" has been found in 38.06. Contact was established. A Nethermancer who has been experimented with Blood Ravens has been fought, but he was able to escape.

ChrisDDickey

Post by ChrisDDickey » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:07 am

From the journal of Zil

A guild of Merchants funded an expedition to map a path, suitable for wagons, through the foothills to the NW to the Serpent river. In addition to myself the hired William Carver, Scout, Norg, Gauntlet, Vlokir, Sky Raider, and Xevious, Warrior. 

A bit over halfway there, we were surprised by an extremely aggressive herd of Tundra Elk. They attacked viciously and without warning. We saw no reason to fight them and decided to all climb trees to get away. This seemed like a good plan, except that some found it very difficult to attempt to climb trees with Elk kicking them. Finally everybody got up a tree and the Elk got tired of pawing at the ground and bugling at us, and they went away. 

A few days later we arrived at the river, and traveled along it looking for suitable places the merchants might put warehouses and a dock. About a days travel up-river we finally found the perfect place, and indeed, somebody was already constructing docks there. They had built a wooden palisade enclosing a large area. They had a dozen or so crude huts up, but had already cleared and planted several large gardens, and built some docks and fishing boats. 

At first they were extremely wary, and called out their whole militia at the first glimpse of us. We did the ritual of greeting, and they were much reassured by everybodies results (except for Williams, whom they refused entry to). We requested that a delegation of the village show us their artistic talents as well, and were happy with the results. The dwarf singer was actually very, very good. Upon entering we saw that the village was mixed Dwarf and Human about equal. Our two trolls caused a small stir, as they had never seen trolls before (though they had all read about them in the book of tomorrow, and heard about them in legends. 

We told them about the merchants who wanted to establish a trading route through the area, and they were very open to the idea. They said that they have been out of their keir a few months, but have seen T'Skrang riverboats every few weeks, but none have stopped to talk or trade. They say the name of their village is Sosanopa. 

They asked us if we could investigate a  problem for them. Hunters going to the East had been attacked by strange birds that were acting unnatural. The birds looked like Ravens, but bigger, and had Reddish legs. When a 2 or 3 encounter a group of hunters, the birds were not a problem, but larger groups would attack the hunters. At least one hunting party is missing. The largest flock they had direct report of was almost a dozen birds, and they had been quite aggressive. 

We enjoyed an evening at the village, and they were quite hospitable. In the morning we started off for the area the birds had been reported. There we fought off a small flock of 5 or 6 birds, two of which escaped. William Carver announced that he could track a bird in flight, and then proceeded to do exactly that. He lead to an area where we encountered a mad dwarf Nethermancer. We exchanged a few ravings with him, but quickly fell to fighting. We slew a few more of his Blood Ravens, and then knocked him unconscious. We decided he probably was from Sosanopa, and decided to carry him back there. When volker and I entered the cave where he lived to pack up his camp, the Nethermancer, despite being tied hand and foot, and being carried by a troll, cast a darkness spell and escaped. We reported about him to Sosanopa, but they said they did not know him. We then returned to Throal. 
Last edited by ChrisDDickey on Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shokunin

Post by Shokunin » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:24 am

From a roughly bound stack of loose paper titled 'Vlolkir'

I saw a trainer in Throal. He taught me of the second circle and showed me the way. He also took most of my silver. I have nothing left for the tavern, so I sign on for a crew to go see a river. Serpent river, we're supposed to look for town on its banks, to see if any have opened. Make sure the river is still there or something. Well, it pays.

We leave from Throal, following mountains to the north and the west. Me, friends Zil Carver Xeviouz, new troll, called Norg. Norg punches things very well. We travel for days and days, not seeing much. Carver takes us on a good path like last time. When we get to forest before where we think the river is there are a herd of elk. They are running and we are in their way. I run out to get away from the stampede, others are too close. They get hit by running elk. But the elk dont keep going, they turn around, must want to fight. I run and climb a tall tree, I learned how to climb like a Raider on a Drakkar's mast, I climb well, and am away from the elk. They leave me. Others get kicked some, then get up in trees too. We are too far away from the elk, they leave after a while and we continue on.

Eventually we see the river, and there is a town. They have a wood wall, and hail us as we approach. They ask us why we came, we say from throal to see if there are peoples on the river. We ask to come in and they have us greet the town. I carve my dragon's head some more, it looks good. Carver carves a potato, they think Carver is dangerous, so he stays outside. The town talks to us, they say not to talk to Steve, Steve is strange. I agree. They see we are adepts, ask us to help with a problem. They say there are birds, like crows but big, and they attack people. Some people have been killed. We agree, something to spread our legend with these people. We go where they say and see birds. They are too small and too fast, move too much, I cant seem to hit them.

The others kill some crows, a few fly off. Carver can follow them, so we go, maybe find more of them or where they nest. We find a Nethermancer, he says the birds are his, the hill is his. Says we must leave or he'll kill us. We say no he should leave and not hurt the townspeople. We fight. A dwarf can't be as hard to hit as a bird, so I charge the rock he stands on. He throws spells at me, they miss. He tries to scare me, I am unafraid. Too happy to be afraid. I make it up the hill and start hitting at him with my mace. He dodges a lot, but then Norg comes up and hits him from the other side, he cant watch both of us at once. Carver is also shooting arrows at him. Also Zil is using spells. We hit him hard and he falls. We bind his hands and feet, I pick him up. We decide to take him back to the town, let them judge their enemy.

But when we go to take things from his cave, the makes darkness and I lose him. Maybe he learned. If not I can smack him good again. We get lots of dried fish for the walk back home. The smell is bad but I still like dried fish more than I like Dwarf bread. These were two good weeks. I want to go back out again soon.

Waijhou

Post by Waijhou » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:30 am

Feb 14, 2020
River Access

From the journal Of Xeviouz
I am approached with a quest to find access to the Serpent River.My companions for this adventure are Zil the Windling Elementalist, William Carver the Human Scout, Vlolkir the Troll SkyRaider and Norg the Troll Gauntlet.
We begin our journey leaving Throal, first day we are hiking along and we hear the ground start to rumble. There are a herd of animals coming towards us. Some kind of Deer, I think i heard somebody say they are called Elk. They are very large and chase us up into a group of trees. After a few minutes and a few attacked by the creatures they get bored and leave. We continue on our way.
We are searching around grid 38.06 and come across a small fishing village. Buildings made from wood, about 10 - 12 houses. THe town is inclosed on 3 side by a wall and the river on the 4th side. Gate on the South side on the village wall. We approach cautiously. We are stoped and ask our business. We reply that we are searching for a route from Throal to the Serpent River. This village seems a great spot. We exchange pleasantries and artisan skills and talk over dinner. Except for William Carver, he is not let in due to messing up his artisan skill.
The Mayor says there is a river boat that comes by about once a week. THey always have guards visible on board.
He tells us about a group of strange birds to the east. They seem to be strangely aggressive. THe flocks seem to be between 3 - 12 at a time. (Allegedly).
Discussion about a trade route from Throal to this village to make use of the river boats. The villagers are all for it. Name of the village is Sosanopa.

Next morning we leave the village and head east looking for the birds. There is a small hill formation we should see, that indicates the area of the birds. After a day of hiking we come to the small hill. We begin to climb and immediately see the birds. William Carver calls them Blood Ravens. First there are 4 then 5, then 6. We make quick work of the birds as the last 2 flee. Then a Necromancer pops up and and yells at us to leave or die for killing his pet birds. We try to talk to the Necromancer, Steve, but he initiates combat with us. As we move forward to engage him more blood ravens come out and attack. It is a frenzied fight, we are able to incapacitate the Necromancer and dispatch all but 1 of the Blood Ravens. THe last bird flies off very quickly. We search for the Necromancers camp and find a cave. After a quick search we find that the Necromancer has escaped our custody and gotten away. We make our way back to the village of Sosanopa, then back to Throal.

200LP, 150sp, 3 TIPs