Even more questions: spells

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Mataxes
Re: Even more questions: spells

Post by Mataxes » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:44 am

The first bit is referring to a broader category of physical activity (say, a strenuous climb up a mountain, or digging out a cave-in), or cases where the character might be taking damage (caught in a blizzard, taking damage from heatstroke or some other environmental condition).

The second is talking specifically about combat -- which is a subset of the first, but not the only kind of physical exertion or potential source of damage.

Basically, combat is a special exception with greater restrictions than the general case.
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

Bonhumm

Post by Bonhumm » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:15 am

OK, let me see if I understand this correctly:

IF I was not in a fight for (at least) an hour BUT I have been doing other 'physical activities' during that hour, I only need 1 minute of rest before Revovery Test (as long as last one was at least an hour ago too).

Right?

Thanx again.

etherial

Post by etherial » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:38 am

Yup. You can take a Recovery Test while trekking through unmapped territory in Vasgothia.

Geekabilly

Post by Geekabilly » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:48 am

etherial wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:38 am
Yup. You can take a Recovery Test while trekking through unmapped territory in Vasgothia.
Always handy! :)

Bonhumm

Post by Bonhumm » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:14 am

Another one, related to the relationship between Talents and Skills.

My understanding of Talents is that it comes (literally) magically to the Adept. The Adept just 'knows' how to do that task, this is why, if affected by a Suppress Magic effect the Adept do not even know/remember the theoretical basic of said Talent.

So my question is: could an Adept teach a talent that he knows as a Skill (e.g. if that Talent is available as Skill) to someone else? I could see arguments for both sides:

Yes: The Adepts knows everything there is to that Talent and therefore can teach it to someone who learns it as a skill, although he realize it will not come as naturally to that person as it was for the Adept.

No: The Adept never really had to 'learn' it and is using that Talent purely instinctively so no matter how good he his at it, he does not have a concious grasp on what he does exactly, this is why he becomes inapt whenever he 'lose' his instinct (Suppress Magic, Discipline crisis etc.).

What are your thoughts?

Thank you.

etherial

Post by etherial » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:15 am

Bonhumm wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:14 am
So my question is: could an Adept teach a talent that he knows as a Skill (e.g. if that Talent is available as Skill) to someone else? I could see arguments for both sides:

Yes: The Adepts knows everything there is to that Talent and therefore can teach it to someone who learns it as a skill, although he realize it will not come as naturally to that person as it was for the Adept.

No: The Adept never really had to 'learn' it and is using that Talent purely instinctively so no matter how good he his at it, he does not have a concious grasp on what he does exactly, this is why he becomes inapt whenever he 'lose' his instinct (Suppress Magic, Discipline crisis etc.).

What are your thoughts?
It is the subject of much debate. My opinion is that Adepts know their Skill versions of their Talents (where applicable) as Half-Magic. This opinion is muddled by the new Half-Magic rules (in which it is Attribute+Circle instead of Attribute+Half Circle) but otherwise Adepts (Thieves and Warriors especially) who did not also spend Legend learning the Skill versions of their Talents would be in constant Talent Crisis as they would be woefully unprepared to do their job or enlist the aid of others in doing their job. Plus I love a good training montage.

Panda

Post by Panda » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:41 am

No, they don't. However you want to run it at your table is fine. However, it's impossible to teach someone how to climb when you learned it by meditating on how you are alone, then your fingers just know where to go. To sneak when shadows literally go out of their way to help and the sound of your footfalls is muffled.

By the rules, if that was possible it would be mentioned. At all. Half-Magic doesn't cover skills anymore by design, other than some oblique uses which aren't intended to replace entire skills.

Bonhumm

Post by Bonhumm » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:21 pm

Panda wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:41 am
No, they don't. However you want to run it at your table is fine. However, it's impossible to teach someone how to climb when you learned it by meditating on how you are alone, then your fingers just know where to go. To sneak when shadows literally go out of their way to help and the sound of your footfalls is muffled.
That's kinda how I was seeing it too.

Another question (which I'm pretty sure I/someone asked before but just cannot find it: About spell attunement/reattuning on the fly: would the mage need to read and/or be (at least) in possession of his grimoire to do that or can he just 'wing it' from memory?

Thank you again.

ottdmk

Post by ottdmk » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:59 pm

Spells become part of your pattern when learned. Recording them in your Grimoire is just part of that process. If you wanted to, you could lock your Grimoire in a safe and only take it out when learning a new spell. You can attune your Matrices just fine without it.

Mind you, a Grimoire is useful in its own right. Casting long term spells like Wizard Mark from your Grimoire is always worth it, because you get a free extra success. Grimoires are also required for the Wizard's 5th Circle ability.

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:06 pm

Magicians do not need their grimoire to reattune their matrices to spells they know.
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com