Adapting EDC Mists of Betrayal to 4th edition

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Zaakh
Adapting EDC Mists of Betrayal to 4th edition

Post by Zaakh » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:42 pm

Hello everyone. We are currently playing a 4ed campaign and I added an adventure from EDC Adventure Companion: Mists Of Betrayal.

Everything works ok-ish and I had no problems adopting stuff from the old edition. Except the main antagonist (a horror) which possesses the following powers and spells:

Powers: Astral Sight, Animate Dead, Control Being*, Corrupt Karma, Displace, Horror Mark, Spellcasting, Thread Weaving (Elementalism), Thread Weaving (Nethermancy)

Spells: Air Blast, Boil Water, Fog of Fear, Ice Spear, Metal Scream, Puddle Deep, Resist Fire

While the horror powers are updated in the game masters guide, I have some trouble with the spells. I was hoping you could help me out by suggesting good alternatives from 4th edition in replacement of the stuff that’s not in the 4ed books any more.

Bonhumm

Re: Adapting EDC Mists of Betrayal to 4th edition

Post by Bonhumm » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:03 pm

The extremely short lived 'Revised Edition' of Earthdawn released a 3rd Edition Compatible version of Mists of Betrayal.

I never read it myself so I don't know how different it is from the 1st ED but it might help

http://fasagames.com/catalog/index.php? ... cts_id=523

Panda

Post by Panda » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:33 pm

Greetings,

I've been working in my (limited) spare time to update adventures as something of a thought experiment, but that's not precisely relevant here.

Spells.

Air Blast and Resist Fire present no problems, so that's good. While Fog of Fear has been updated, it does require the Frighten talent. I'm assuming you've either added it or just replace them both with Terror. We can pretend Boil Water isn't on that list. Why is it on that list? This brings us to: Ice Spear, Metal Scream, and Puddle Deep.

Ice Spear can be replaced with pretty much any Elementalist or Nethermancer attack spell (Astral Spear, Earth Darts, Ice Mace and Chain, Spirit Dart, and Spirit Grip could all be winners, but really anything you think fits). It was cut from the Player's Guide because 1) Space 2) Space and 3) It's weird to have Ice Spear and (Elemental) Spear, particularly with both at Fourth Circle. Since the mechanics of (Elemental) Spear were more interesting as a whole and showcased something new and exciting, Ice Spear was cut. When it comes back, there's going to be a consideration for a slightly different name to make it stand apart more from (Elemental) Spear.

Metal Scream is a bit weird. The effect as existed previously (inducing targets to run away) isn't likely to come back. Which puts it largely in the form of a debuff. Thematically, it's a weird spell for Elementalists. While it targets metal, the effect is more akin to Nethermancer's domain. As it stands, there isn't a great replacement, with spells like Blizzard Sphere or Fog of Fear(which is already on the list) presenting the best options. Going in a different direction, simply adding another spell from the Ice Spear list is an option to present more offensive choices.

Puddle Deep was cut for similar reasons as Ice Spear. There are always space limitations and this was yet another area control spell for Elementalists. One where the mechanics weren't coming along quite as well compared to contemporaries. Icy Surface is easily the best replacement here.

Hopefully this is helpful. Please let me know if there are any questions, or if there is anything further I can do.

Best regards,

Morgan

Below is the last draft of Ice Spear, which does not necessarily reflect how it may appear in the future:

Ice Spear [Fourth Circle]
Threads: 1
Weaving: 8/13
Casting: TMD
Range: 40 yards
Duration: 2 rounds
Effect: WIL+4/Physical and halves movement
Water - Cold. This spell creates and hurls a long spear of ice at an opponent. Frost forms on the fingers of the magician as they make a Spellcasting test against the target's Mystic Defense. If successful, a five-foot-long spear of ice is formed, trailing frost as it arcs toward and strikes the target. The target is surrounded in a cloud of beautiful, sparkling frost that chills to the bone and ices over the surroundings, halving the target's Movement Rate (round down) until the end of the next round. The magician's Effect test determines how much damage is inflicted.
Success Levels: Increase Duration (+2 rounds)
Extra Threads: Increase Effect (+2), Increase Duration (+2 rounds), Increase Range (+10 yards), Additional Target (+1)

Zaakh

Post by Zaakh » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:25 am

Thank you very much Morgan, that helps a lot! :)