Cavalryman Steeds

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
ChrisDDickey
Re: Cavalryman Steeds

Post by ChrisDDickey » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:06 am

Calamrin wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:59 pm
I'm going slightly off topic now ... Cavalrymen are how i thought Beastmasters would be ... prolly just me
This is one of my favorite 4th edition rants, but I strongly agree that Beastmasters / Cavalrymen focus has changed a great deal during the various editions. Panda pretty much said that the 4th edition developers considered that the primary focus of the Beastmaster discipline to be the "Savage Warrior", and mastering beasts was only a popular option. But instead of ether renaming the discipline to "Savage Fighter" or splitting into two disciplines, we have a discipline named Beastmaster where only two of the first two tiers discipline talents are about Animals/Beasts at all, and all the other Animal Talents are Talent Options.

In the meantime, you are quite correct that the Cavalryman has all these Animal Bond/Animal Training/Etc. talents that make him perfect for being the master of a traveling claw fest. Maybe three of four mounts for different situations (indoors, rough terrain, etc) and a few other animal companions for fighting/scouting/theft/watch-standing, etc. And nowhere in the 4th edition books does it say he can't/shouldn't use his talents to become so.

The thing that has me so confused about the discipline is that if you go back to the older edition splat books, the fluff text waxes lyrical about the special bond between a Cavalryman and his one true mount. It is unthinkable for one to have a remount. Or to bond with any animal other than his one true mount. Now nowhere is that fluff repeated in anything 4th edition, but is it still something that anybody should give any consideration too? Has the discipline simply evolved too much since that was written that it ought to be ignored? Or is the fluff still canon? In which case why does the Cavalryman have Animal Bond as a discipline talent, when it is not supposed to be used until or unless his loyal pony dies? I mean he has all the Talents required to manage an entire menagerie, but the older edition fluff text says he should not do so. I am confused!

Calamrin

Post by Calamrin » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:42 am

I dont really have a love or hate opinion on it, was just a note on how they read.. will create npcs as book suggests.

Cavalymen have a bonded steed...where the steed and riders bond is special and above everything...like a symbiosis...thats a one off bond and special. That doesnt mean they shouldnt have other animal companions that can be trained and developed (or ridden), in fact would be strange if they didnt as its what they do...but their strongest bond is to their steed....just reading it as a proper master of beasts.

Beastmasters, are more in touch with the beasts, close to nature, and close to their animalistic/naturistic side

Anyway thats how i read it and will base the npcs.

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:24 am

ChrisDDickey wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:06 am
This is one of my favorite 4th edition rants, but I strongly agree that Beastmasters / Cavalrymen focus has changed a great deal during the various editions.
I have thoughts on this. But I'm in the midst of GenCon prep crunch, so I won't be able to get to it for a few days.
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com