Windligs wings issues

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Bonhumm
Windligs wings issues

Post by Bonhumm » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:31 pm

Question for you oh wise ones!

How do you deal (or is there even canon rules) with clothing and armors for Windlings? Specifically the 'back' part.

Would you say that they 'make holes' in them to let the wings out and consider the armor mechanics as the same as the other name givers? Or maybe only for clothing but not for armors (too clunky)? Or just no armor allowed?

I specifically wonder how realistic it might be for Windlings to wear espraga cloak armor.

Any insight would be welcome.

Also: How many Obsidiman skin armors for Windlings could be created from a single Obsidiman? I'm asking for a friend :D

etherial

Re: Windligs wings issues

Post by etherial » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:16 pm

Most of the armor worn by people I know - even the plate mail - has side seams and is put on around the arm on one side and clasped together on the far side. You could easily accommodate another seam to allow for wing holes.

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:57 pm

Etherial is from kind of a rough neighborhood.

etherial

Post by etherial » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:12 pm

Slimcreeper wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:57 pm
Etherial is from kind of a rough neighborhood.
I run medieval armored combat championships in the SCA.

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:16 pm

I know that's the *truth*, but that's not nearly as entertaining!

ChrisDDickey

Post by ChrisDDickey » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:43 pm

The designs would be different, but I don't see any call to say that certain clothing/armors are impossible. You just need to design them slightly different.

For example, most cloaks... Human cloaks are single layered and might have an optional hood. A windling cloak I would imagine could have two layers. One layer over the back but under the wings, with a hole for the wings to go through, and a 2nd shorter layer of cloak that can ether lay over the back covering the wings (to keep them dry in the rain), or can be pulled to the side or forward over the shoulder to get them out of the way so the wings could fly. When done flying the windling simply folds their wings flat, and flips their short cloak back over them.

All other armors and clothing's would also be designed to accommodate wings.