Problems with circle advancement and balancing

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Lursi
Re: Problems with circle advancement and balancing

Post by Lursi » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:12 pm

Sometimes characters die, then someone joins with a new C1 character.
Given the party can protect him in the group of C6 heroes, he gets legend points according to the bravery he showed to bring their mission forward.

That is typically near what the rest gets. A friend of mine does Cnewplayer/CGroupAverage as multiplying factor. As you roughly need the same number of LP you have total now to reach the next circle, the new guy still advances rather quickly.
Of all things I lost, sanity I held dearest.

Lursi

Post by Lursi » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:35 pm

Tattered Rags wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:39 pm
Calamrin wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:02 pm
ohhh i wholeheartedly agree its a player thing and so not a rules problem/issue, i was just sharing.

Overlaps in talents are important in my view..our gm often if its applicable often lets players combine talent overlaps to either lower target numbers if one player assists another, or grant additional successes, dependant on talent and situation...just basic common sense house rulings.
I've been trying to figure out a good houserule for assisting, since I don't remember a rule for it in the book. Might be wrong about that.
Proposal:
Assistant Rank/4 rounded up is the bonus provided to another player.(1 strain)
Short and not dwarfing the air sailor ability.
Of all things I lost, sanity I held dearest.

TheOracle

Post by TheOracle » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:59 am

Lursi wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:12 pm
Sometimes characters die, then someone joins with a new C1 character.
Given the party can protect him in the group of C6 heroes, he gets legend points according to the bravery he showed to bring their mission forward.

That is typically near what the rest gets. A friend of mine does Cnewplayer/CGroupAverage as multiplying factor. As you roughly need the same number of LP you have total now to reach the next circle, the new guy still advances rather quickly.
We just give the new character the same amount of LP everyone else got. Playing a circle 1 character in a higher circle group would be way too frustrating.

Calamrin

Post by Calamrin » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:35 am

We just give the new character the same amount of LP everyone else got. Playing a circle 1 character in a higher circle group would be way too frustrating.
We do the same thing. Very occasionally one of our group may wish to change char as not happy or at home with who they playing... again we just give them the legend point total total of the group.

All the group gets the same legend points as reward, so theres a fixed value for all the players.

bleeding

Post by bleeding » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:19 pm

With a group of different circles, because of new players, I calculated the average Circle of the group and gave LP on that basis.

It didn't bother older players, they were happy new players rise quickly.