Rules Question: Optional talents and legend point cost

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
TheOracle
Rules Question: Optional talents and legend point cost

Post by TheOracle » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:16 am

The rules for optional talents confuse me a little.

Two questions:

1. Can a character later use the unused slot for an optional talent from an earlier circle?
2. If so, what are the Legend Point costs based on? On the current circle of the character, or on the circle of the used slot?

Thank you very much!

Slimcreeper

Re: Rules Question: Optional talents and legend point cost

Post by Slimcreeper » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:57 am

My understanding is:

1) Yes
2) Based on the character's current circle.

p.84, 3rd paragraph in Talents and Abilities. But don't ask me to explain multi-disciplining ...

etherial

Post by etherial » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:23 am

Slimcreeper wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:57 am
My understanding is:

1) Yes
2) Based on the character's current circle.

p.84, 3rd paragraph in Talents and Abilities. But don't ask me to explain multi-disciplining ...
I think your answer #2 is answering the wrong question. Let's say my Swordmaster is really jazzed about Circling and goes straight from Third to Fifth without bothering to pick up a Talent Option while they were at Fourth Circle. They then look at the list of Journeyman Talent Options and (somehow) decide none of them are urgent. They look at the Novice Talent Option list and see two that they want to pick up immediately. One of those will fill the Fourth Circle Slot and be treated as a Novice Talent. The other will fill the Fifth Circle Slot and be treated as a Journeyman Talent.
Last edited by etherial on Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheOracle

Post by TheOracle » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:28 am

Thanks to both of you. But now I'm still caught between the two interpretations we had in our group.

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:25 pm

Etherial has it right. The cost of a talent (for Disciplines) is based on what Circle it is learned at.

If an Archer decides to pick up Wilderness Survival (Novice talent option) as his Circle 4 optional talent, it costs 100 Legend for Rank 1, 200 for rank 2, etc. (Novice costs per the chart on page 450). If he makes it his Circle 5 optional talent, it costs 200 Legend for Rank 1, 300 or Rank 2, and so on (Journeyman costs per the chart).

What are the two interpretations?
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

TheOracle

Post by TheOracle » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:31 pm

One interpretation is the right one, the other one was the wrong one. ;)

Thanks for clearing that up.

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:40 pm

Oops! I didn't read the question carefully enough!

LouP

Post by LouP » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:58 pm

Hello,
Mataxes wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:25 pm
Etherial has it right. The cost of a talent (for Disciplines) is based on what Circle it is learned at.

If an Archer decides to pick up Wilderness Survival (Novice talent option) as his Circle 4 optional talent, it costs 100 Legend for Rank 1, 200 for rank 2, etc. (Novice costs per the chart on page 450). If he makes it his Circle 5 optional talent, it costs 200 Legend for Rank 1, 300 or Rank 2, and so on (Journeyman costs per the chart).

What are the two interpretations?
So the same Talent learned by the same character costs more if he chooses to learn it later?

Perhaps a more pertinent question is why would a single talent be listed more than once? This make no sense to me.

Thanks!

Lou

TheOracle

Post by TheOracle » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:40 pm

LouP wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:58 pm
Perhaps a more pertinent question is why would a single talent be listed more than once? This make no sense to me.

Thanks!

Lou
It isn't listed more than once. But you are free to learn Novice level Talent Options using your Journeyman level Talent Option slots. For the cost of a Journeyman level option.

ottdmk

Post by ottdmk » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:58 pm

Josh, how does it work under Etherial's scenario? Say someone goes from 1st Circle to 2nd without choosing a 1st Circle Talent Option. Have they lost that "slot" or can they now pick two talent options at 2nd Circle? And if they go from Novice to Journeyman with "empty slot(s)" can they still use them at the Novice cost?