Relative age by race

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
ChrisDDickey
Re: Relative age by race

Post by ChrisDDickey » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:49 pm

Bonhumm wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:57 pm
I don't agree here. Although the 2 years old dog would act 'mature' compared to a puppy he would still act like a dog. I WOULD expect better problem solving skills from a 2 years old human than from a (untrained) dog of any age. Furthermore, at 2 years old the human is usually past the 'eat my own poop' phase.
I think you are missing my whole point, which is that it takes considerably fewer years for a dog to get as "Adult" as it will ever get. It might get more experienced as it gets older, but all the pieces are already present earlier. It takes a human many more years to mature, and one would suppose it takes an Elf longer still.

I would think an Elf spends longer in the "I can study mathematics, but I can't be trusted to drive safely" stage that in humans are called the teenage years. And just to be clear, it is not that a 20 year old Elf can't drive. I am sure he can probably drive excellently. It is just that he can't be trusted to drive safely. This is a matter of maturity, not reflexes or capability.

On the other hand, an Ork might be recognized as being mature enough to drive at 10 or 12. As to the lawmakers that had to write the new rules after goblinization, in the Shadowrun universe, almost all of them did uniformly poor jobs with much prejudice, racism, etc. Legal Age of voting was not the problem for Orks, the problem was whether Orks could vote at all regardless of age. But that is also another story.