Quell the bloodlust

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
DarkHawk
Quell the bloodlust

Post by DarkHawk » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:56 am

Alright. I wanted to ask this of a group of GMs as well. Players, regardless of system, will occasionally default to being a bunch of murder hobos. They kill everything that they come across.

What tricks/gimmicks/tropes have you used to quell player blood lust?

My personal favorite, and a group favorite, was making them all Questors... of Death.

Slimcreeper

Re: Quell the bloodlust

Post by Slimcreeper » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:38 pm

- I like to set up problems that simply can't be solved with killing - or killing leads to bigger problems that can't be solved with killing.
- If the player characters are invested in gamemaster characters they are less likely to kill everything, especially if excessive violence blows back on the characters they care about.
- It's also a good idea to have them meet opposition that the party just can't handle in a fight.
- Maybe it's fun to play a bunch of murder hobos every once in a while.

Spader

Post by Spader » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:04 am

One thing that is wonderful with Earthdawn is the way Passions work. This way you can (and I did) reward your psychopathic players with gifts granted by a passion (like Raggok).

When a mad passion come and visite the player in private and tells him he has noticed him and is impressed, the player may (or not) realize he is not quite the hero he thought he was. Or he might be pleased and willing to hear what the mad passion has to say.

Either way the violence stop being pointless.

DarkHawk

Post by DarkHawk » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:04 am

Oh, that is nice.
By making them Questors of Death I put a stop to the pointless killing pretty quick. Namely that Death doesn't want just "death" ... He wants life. He wants your life to be as full of content and as full of meaning as possible. This forced a lot of them to stop and consider the potential of each person.

That "bandit" was a farmer who recently had his community besieged by wyverns and his community had to turn to crime to survive until new crops were able to grow. No body is nameless...