Threads, Ranks and Steps

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
DarkHawk
Threads, Ranks and Steps

Post by DarkHawk » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:21 am

This excerpt is taken from the "Strands" website in 2004 and still reflects on how my group views Threads, Ranks and Steps.
No Author noted..

On the Nature of Talents

Talent Ranks

First, when a character learns a talent, or increases the rank of one of his talents, he is in essence, weaving a thread to his own true pattern. In that case of a new talent; he is adding a new thread, in the case of increasing a talent rank, he is weaving a new, stronger, more powerful thread (just as when a character weaves a higher Rank thread to a magic item). Thus, each of a character's talents are part of his True Pattern.
The Rank of the character's talent is a measure of his expertise with that talent, and measure the "power" of the talent. This includes many different aspects, depending on the specific talent. This may represent the extent to which a talent affects a target (such as Battle Shout or Taunt), the duration of a talent's effect (such as Frighten), or the number of times a talent can be used (such as most of the multiple attack talents).

Talent Step Numbers

The Step Number of a character's talent is NOT a measure of the talent's power. It is a measure of how well a character is able to use his talent, but it is NOT the same thing as power. Step Numbers are used primarily to determine which dice are used when making talent tests.

Weaving Threads

When a character weaves a thread from a pattern item or group pattern to a talent, he weaves the thread to the portion of his True Pattern which corresponds to the appropriate talent. This thread boosts the power of the talent. Since a characters talent Ranks measure the power of his talents, threads woven to those talents should increase in RANK, NOT in Step.
To add to the STEP is to say that the character is BETTER at using the talent but not the talent's inherent power.

Side Note: The increase to a talents Rank in this context does not apply to circle advancement or towards meeting any other Rank requirements.

Mataxes

Re: Threads, Ranks and Steps

Post by Mataxes » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:47 pm

Is there a question here?

Because this is how it works in ED4, and is called out as such.
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

Telarus

Post by Telarus » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:01 pm

On another side note: Darkhawk, do you have an archive or copy of the Strands website? That has literally been "lost to the ages" (no copy/archive anywhere I've seen).

DarkHawk

Post by DarkHawk » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:59 pm

Telarus, I do not. I only have a fraction of the printouts that I had from back then.
There is not a question. I was sharing a perspective, out of context. New guy in my group had actually just asked about this the other night. He just bought the book and been binge reading and noting things all over the place. He missed this clarification and when i brought this up my current group member (6+ years) also seemed confused.
Taking it out of context helped them so I figured I'd share.

dave_przybyla

Post by dave_przybyla » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:04 am

I'm one of the guys that used to run Strands. I don't have a copy of the entire site, but I do still have a database that includes things like magic items, creatures, spells, etc. These were the type of things we could script to be pulled from the database and inserted into page templates.

It has been a few years since I've played Earthdawn. This thread was pointed out to me by another former Strands Dude that still plays.

Telarus

Post by Telarus » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:35 pm

Hey! Great to see you around and interested in Earthdawn stuff. The Strands page was essential in inspiring our 1st edition group. Much thanks!

DarkHawk

Post by DarkHawk » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:42 pm

Awesome to know that the Strands guys are still around. The ED:Strands was a huge boon for my group as well. We'd love to see what you got, see what sticks.
dave_przybyla wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:04 am
I'm one of the guys that used to run Strands. I don't have a copy of the entire site, but I do still have a database that includes things like magic items, creatures, spells, etc. These were the type of things we could script to be pulled from the database and inserted into page templates.

It has been a few years since I've played Earthdawn. This thread was pointed out to me by another former Strands Dude that still plays.

Ferretmonger

Post by Ferretmonger » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:22 pm

dave_przybyla wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:04 am
Would it be possible to upload that data somewhere, for instance to Dropbox or Google Drive? And of course, IF you feel, like and can that is. Some things might be copyrighted I guess? Anyway, it's worth a shot at least :)

Lursi

Post by Lursi » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:49 pm

Yes... Strands!

I would like to reinforce the praise!

Would also be happy to see the content again!
Of all things I lost, sanity I held dearest.