Combat Turns and Additional Attacks

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
etherial
Combat Turns and Additional Attacks

Post by etherial » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:04 pm

Is there a proscribed order in the turn for when Movement, Simple Actions, and Standard Action(s) happen? I've always played it that a character can do them in any order so long as they only Move once and only take one Standard (unless they're a Creature with extra Actions), meaning they can use their Standard Action to slay a foe, Battle Shout their next Foe, Move over to them and then use Second Attack on a second foe.

Momentum Attack clearly has to happen immediately after another attack on the same foe, but I'm not convinced that any of the other Second Splat abilities have to, or that I can't Move in the middle of my turn.

Mataxes

Re: Combat Turns and Additional Attacks

Post by Mataxes » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:37 pm

Unless the rules specifically indicate otherwise (like Momentum Attack), I would say you can be as flexible with the order of actions on a turn as you wish.

Movement can go before or ofter your Standard action, unless you are splitting movement.
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

Telarus

Post by Telarus » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:20 pm

I agree, that is how I've always run movement.

ChrisDDickey

Post by ChrisDDickey » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:41 am

How about simple actions?
Can you take a simple action, then move, then take more simple actions and a standard action?
Or visa versa?

RazanMG

Post by RazanMG » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:04 pm

As written nothing prohibits it. Best is to ask all at table and agree what will be possible, GM has last word as always.

So with Splitting Movement you can even: use some action, move a bit, use some action, move a bit, use some action.

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:09 pm

When it comes to movement, all movement needs to be taken at once, or suffer the "splitting movement" penalty (barring certain talents, etc).

As for timing and other "order of operations" type stuff, unless the rules indicate requirements, there generally aren't any. So whatever makes sense and works for your table, have at it.

Personally, I require the standard Melee Weapon talent/skill be used before Second Attack. Mainly because, by definition, it can't be the "second" attack until you've made your first. Following on from that, I generally require the "basic" form of the attack be used before any special follow-ons, so Melee Weapon also used before Second Weapon, that kind of thing.

But, again, whatever works and makes sense for you and your table.
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

DarkHawk

Post by DarkHawk » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:56 am

For the most part the group I play with will play it pretty lose but we do "default" our options to a fairly set order when there is conflict. This was an order that as used back in 1st edition and we pulled it from an old website "Earthdawn Strands". By having the order written out it helps prevent any sort of things that can't be resolved at the table. This gives a general feel of IF a talent or IF an action would fit into a specific flow of the combat. I also haven't needed to use this since we started using 4th edition.

Combat Order & Talent Type Documentation
Original by Strands Guy: Jeff Sheen

Talent Types:
Type 1: Talents that affect Initiative (Air Dance, Tiger Spring)
Type 2: Talents which last the entire current round + and do not take an action/Simple Action (Acrobatics, Battle Shout)
Type 3: Talents which take effect on your Initiative (Melee Weapons, Spell Casting, etc)
Type 4: Talents Which Are used as they are needed (Avoid Blow, Riposte)
Type 5: Talents which are non-combative in nature (Spell Matrix, Comversation)

1) Decide Combat Options (Normal, Aggressive, split movement, etc..)
2) Announce any Talent type 1 or 2
3) Review Character Statistics (wounds, modifiers, etc)

4) Use Type 1 Talents is Applicabe
4.5) Communication in Short sentences
5) Use any Type 2 Talents, Determine success immediately
6) Movement
6.5) More Communication
7) Use any Type 3 - 5 Talents and resolve type 4 as needed.
8) End of combat round effects (burning fires, passive environmental effects, etc)