Getting back to ED

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Darksyde
Getting back to ED

Post by Darksyde » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:35 pm

So I've been considering busting in to ED. It is a game I've owned since 1st ed but never really got a chance to dig in to. I collected up all the 3rd edition books while I could and was wondering what the gerneral thoughts were on 4th eddition. Is worth skipping over 3rd to dive in to 4 (I understand it is the edition with the most changes to rules and setting) or would you stick with 3rd if that is what you had? There isn't a ton for 4th yet so it would pretty easy to pick it all up. (though I'm not a huge fan of the small book format. I do have the 'revised' ED book.)

Thanks for your input and I"m glad to see folks still enjoying the game. It is pretty beat up from a number of moves and readings but I still haven't had it in me to toss my 1st ed hardcover.

Slimcreeper

Re: Getting back to ED

Post by Slimcreeper » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:57 pm

4th!

The Undying

Re: Getting back to ED

Post by The Undying » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:53 am

There's a [mostly] recent thread about version differences from 1 to 4. Much of it would hold, worth looking at:

http://www.fasagames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=302

Personally, it's hard to say. I think that, once you've played 4, it's very hard to go back to 3. 4 fixes so many problems that, despite it's own rough spots, it's still superior. However, it's also still lacking a lot. In some ways, I wish I hadn't been introduced to 4 until at least the end of this year, when the Companion will hopefully be out.

For a NEW game, I'd probably say just start with 4. For tables with existing games, I'd say continue with 3.