Online Earthdawn gaming

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
vitus979
Online Earthdawn gaming

Post by vitus979 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:36 pm

Are there any online platforms for RPGing that incorporate Earthdawn rules into them? I've never run Earthdawn online, and will be doing so for the first time in the next couple months. If there's an online technology platform that handles Earthdawn-specific rules I'd probably gravitate to that. I'm looking for a live platform like Google Hangouts or Roll20, I'm not interested in Play-By-Post sites.

I've used Roll20 for Pathfinder in the past. There doesn't seem to be any Earthdawn specific support on the Roll20wiki, but I've seen that there are some Earthdawn campaigns on Roll20. Has anybody played Earthdawn on Roll20? What are your experiences?

The Undying

Re: Online Earthdawn gaming

Post by The Undying » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:36 am

My group uses Roll20. If the host has a premium account, then they can load scripts into the lobby (whatever the name is) which add buttons and text parsers and lots of stuff. There are plenty of scripts online for text-based Step computation (our group uses "!istep X" "!step X" and "!gstep X" commands). Similarly, someone here on the forums created a Earthdawn character sheet which is now part of the in-app sheet options - don't know if the host still needs a premium account, and I *believe* the sheet has buttons to roll the various step dice (dunno account secret rolls to GM).

Other than Step rolling, your table just needs to figure what level of support you need. We'd previously used Roll20's maps to incredible effects - custom made dungeons, custom lighting for view restriction, etc - but now we're just tracking adjacency. We use google sheets and a whack-a-doo complicated auto-completing sheet I made for tracking characters, but there are definite pros to having character data integrated into the table-top system.

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:42 am

As Undying mentioned, somebody made an Earthdawn 4th Edition character sheet for Roll20. It requires a pro account and downloading a couple of APIs to work, and I've not used it.

I don't know how well it works, but here's a link to some more info about it: https://github.com/dougansf/Earthdawn-4 ... /README.md

I've only dabbled in Roll20. I've run a couple of games for AetherCon using it, and in my case just set up macros for the dice steps ahead of time.
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

Dougansf

Post by Dougansf » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:08 am

Mataxes wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:42 am
As Undying mentioned, somebody made an Earthdawn 4th Edition character sheet for Roll20. It requires a pro account and downloading a couple of APIs to work, and I've not used it.

I don't know how well it works, but here's a link to some more info about it: https://github.com/dougansf/Earthdawn-4 ... /README.md
That would be me. I've been building it and using it for my game. It's a character sheet that does rolling for you.

If you have any questions, feedback, or requests let me know.

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:21 am

I thought you were around here somewhere. :D

Dougansf

Post by Dougansf » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:28 pm

I keep hoping that the RPG Squad or Legends of Earthdawn group will start using it. I figure the feedback will roll in then.

RPG Squad is using my original rolling macro (which is using the ED1 Step chart, oops), before I slipped down the rabbit hole into HTML coding the character sheet.

BahtRastard

Post by BahtRastard » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:31 pm

If you haven't paid for a membership account on roll 20, you can still add an on-screen dice roller. In the journal tab, create a generic character sheet called step table. Under the attribute and abilities tab, add abilities called steps. You can then add the appropriate dice rolling macros. :idea:

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:29 pm

BahtRastard wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:31 pm
If you haven't paid for a membership account on roll 20, you can still add an on-screen dice roller. In the journal tab, create a generic character sheet called step table. Under the attribute and abilities tab, add abilities called steps. You can then add the appropriate dice rolling macros. :idea:
Yeah. I didn't go quite that far with the couple of times I've used Roll20, but I did make dice macros. You pretty much have to unless you want to take three times as long to resolve stuff.

Dougansf

Post by Dougansf » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:29 pm

When I get some time on a real computer, I'll share my macro that has the whole step chart in it. So you'll just need one button, and it will prompt you for a name of Talent/Skill, Step to roll, and how many Karma to spend.

Jason

Post by Jason » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:50 am

First one tag as a token macro, it prompts for the relent info and roles and creates a formatted output
Second one, I believe I used as a base for a python script to generate macros for NPC characters, so I could put all there abilities as token macros quickly. This one and the output from the python script expect bar2 to be wounds, so it can auto calculate wounds.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1g8F ... sp=sharing

Let me know if it would be helpful, I also wrote an initiative macro that automatically puts the character's Initiative in the tracker (but I need to dig that one out of roll20).
Play my game jam games - made by one person in a limited time frame (usually 48 hours)