Rules for ranged combat

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Harthugaut
Rules for ranged combat

Post by Harthugaut » Wed May 17, 2017 5:18 am

Hi everyone!

I gamemastered Earthdawn's first and second edition literally for decades and just started to use the 4th Edition after I skipped the 3rd.

I have one question regarding the rules: Is it correct to add a character's STR step to ranged damage? Especially using a crossbow this seems quite odd to me...

PiXeL01

Re: Rules for ranged combat

Post by PiXeL01 » Wed May 17, 2017 9:02 am

Yes, you add str to ranged weapon damage, even on crossbows.
The reason is that crossbow in ED do not have a lock-and-trigger mechanism but the crossbowman pulls back and releases the string with his hand.

Harthugaut

Post by Harthugaut » Wed May 17, 2017 9:16 am

Yes, this would explain a STR minimum to use the weapon at all. But either you can load the weapon or you can't. Strongly loading a crossbow should not be a thing. Adding the DEX step would make more sense... But I guess this would mess with the balancing of the disciplines.

I tried explaining the issue to my players by telling them, strength is needed to keep the (cross)bow steady, so you can aim for the weak spots. Still... There are so many issues the 2nd Edition had that were dealt with to our satisfaction. It seemes odd that this still persists...

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Wed May 17, 2017 12:57 pm

Yes, Strength is added to damage for missile and ranged attacks. This is done for rules consistency.
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

Harthugaut

Post by Harthugaut » Wed May 17, 2017 1:12 pm

Allright! Thanks for the clarification!

Jaracove

Post by Jaracove » Wed May 17, 2017 1:45 pm

I always use Perception for ranged damage as it simulates finding those weak spots

Telarus

Post by Telarus » Tue May 23, 2017 10:36 pm

In my games, the STR bonus to crossbows manifest in-game like this:

- Crossbows purchased at a reputable dealer or maintained in an armory will be modified to suit the STR rating of the wielder, thus each bow has a STR rating noted in it's statistics. Imagine racks of crossbows in the dwarf armory with ratings 1-6 on each rack. (well, probably 3-6...)

- Crossbows looted from opponents or otherwise acquired or found allow a STR bonus up to that bow's STR bonus (randomly determined, d4+2). IF you are an Archer, Warrior, Weaponsmith, etc (those with appropriate half-magic) you can try to modify the bow to match your STR, but this is a risky move and may damage the item, or destroy it if you botch. Takes 8 hours with tools to modify a crossbow.

Harthugaut

Post by Harthugaut » Wed May 24, 2017 4:53 am

This actually makes a lot sense! I will definitvely introduce this to my group! Thanks for sharing!

In addition I would alter the modifiaction rules for magic ranged weapons. Altering those should be harder maybe weaponsmith exclusive. And by weaving the first thread the weapon it alligns itself to the wearers strength. I feel that archers would have a considerable disadvantage otherwise.