Forge Construct

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Jaracove
Forge Construct

Post by Jaracove » Tue May 16, 2017 4:06 pm

Page 461

"This power allows a Horror to create constructs from other life forms including mundane animals, magical creatures, and Namegivers, even inanimate objects."

I understand what 'Forge Construct' power does in general, but I'm not sure what exactly, it can do to a target specifically.

Could someone give me a few examples concerning what might be forged into/onto say, a wolf and a 20' piece of thick rope?

Thanks all

Mataxes

Re: Forge Construct

Post by Mataxes » Tue May 16, 2017 11:42 pm

In a sense, there are two different things that are covered with this power.

The first (and most basic), is it simply reflects the ability of a Horror to turn something into a construct. All of those creatures that are the result of Horrors mucking about? It's (mostly) through this power. This "use" of the power doesn't really require any mechanics, it just provides an explanation; background for a creature or obstacle in a story.

The other approach is one that focuses on the process as the story. That is, a GMC (or PC) being slowly converted as a result of a Horror mark or curse. This is the one that involves the mechanics, tests against defense ratings, etc. You can use it to bring a bit of horror (genre) to a story, or perhaps invoke a time limit -- the group needs to find and defeat the Horror before they or their friend are lost.

As for examples... I'm not quite sure what you mean? For the wolf, take the stats, decide how many successful Forge Construct tests the Horror made, and adjust the stats you want accordingly. Have the statistical changes manifest with physical changes -- multiple eyes (Perception bonus), scaly skin (increased Armor), more/longer claws and teeth (increased attack or damage). The only limit is your imagination, and how far you want to push things.

As for the rope... I can't think of anything off the cuff. I mean... there's not much there, you know? Though if you can come up with one... cool. Corrupted falsemen -- like those in Parlainth -- are an example of inanimate objects that could be altered. Or they might be created through the use of Forge Construct. In that case, it's less the Horror modifying existing stats, but creating them out of nothing. (And, again, does the mechanical process and number of successes actually matter, or is it simply backstory/explanation?)
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

Jaracove

Post by Jaracove » Wed May 17, 2017 6:43 am

Thanks for the clarification

Marzhin

Post by Marzhin » Wed May 17, 2017 8:24 am

Mataxes wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 11:42 pm
As for the rope... I can't think of anything off the cuff. I mean... there's not much there, you know?
I can imagine a sort of mimic rope. You think it's just a regular rope allowing you to climb something but once you're halfway up there it suddenly comes to life and strangles you, slowly and painfully. Or worse.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)

Jaracove

Post by Jaracove » Wed May 17, 2017 8:52 am

So basically, unless it's a direct transformation of some part of a pc, you can do whatever you want for the needs of a story?

Example: using forge construct to dominate the mind of a namegiver in order to control that namegiver, and also forging the namegiver in a way that the horror can see hear and feel everything the namegiver can?

etherial

Post by etherial » Wed May 17, 2017 10:27 am

Jaracove wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 8:52 am
So basically, unless it's a direct transformation of some part of a pc, you can do whatever you want for the needs of a story?

Example: using forge construct to dominate the mind of a namegiver in order to control that namegiver, and also forging the namegiver in a way that the horror can see hear and feel everything the namegiver can?
You don't need Forge Construct for the latter. The latter comes with free with the Horror Mark (indeed, that's mostly what the Horror Mark power is for). Forge Construct is for "What if the Horrors turned someone into an monster just like X movie I saw?"

Jaracove

Post by Jaracove » Wed May 17, 2017 11:40 am

Ok thank you

Why is the Jehuthra's Frost Web listed as (16, Standard) but then listed as Horror Power (14, Frost Web, Standard) just below?

RazanMG

Post by RazanMG » Wed May 17, 2017 12:17 pm

If its not a bug:
Jehutra makes Horror power test (Standard), then makes Frost web (another Standard).
It has 2 Standard actions so to use Frost web in first round it needs to use both.
Frost web test is a damage test but needs Standard action.

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Wed May 17, 2017 1:03 pm

Horror Power is the equivalent of a Spellcasting test; it's what determines whether the effect goes off.

Frost Web is the effect test.

The reference to Frost Web in the parentheses is to indicate what Horror Power is used on. In this case, only Frost Web.

A few critters have "Creature Power" as an ability, which works the same way.

In most cases it is used instead of Spellcasting (from earlier editions) to indicate the creature isn't actually casting spells. From a rules functionality standpoint it serves the same purpose.
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

Jaracove

Post by Jaracove » Wed May 17, 2017 1:40 pm

Thanks all