Espagra cloaks as layered armor in 4th edition

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
MetalBoar
Espagra cloaks as layered armor in 4th edition

Post by MetalBoar » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:00 pm

Quick question for everyone.

It appears that the rules for wearing an espagra cloak over other armor have been removed from 4th edition. I assume this went along with the removal of armor defeating hits but wanted to check in and see if it was an oversight or simply to save on text or something else. So, what's the official stance? Characters can no longer wear espagra cloaks over other armor and get a benefit?

This is the first 4th edition game for my group (we've played a lot of 3rd edition) and the characters in my game just went to some effort to acquire espagra cloaks and then the players looked at the new rules after the fact, so they're... a little disappointed. It hadn't been relevant to anything I've done with the game yet so I hadn't bothered to look at those rules either. If this is the new official rule I'll need to figure something out so as not to screw the players. I'd rather not retcon the whole last session (and certain aspects of the previous 2). Perhaps I'll house rule something for this campaign and then re-evaluate for the next time around. Maybe take a page from 3rd edition Shadowrun and when layered add a point of initiative penalty and only give half armor value rounded up for the cloak? I'll have to think about it more but suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

Mataxes

Re: Espagra cloaks as layered armor in 4th edition

Post by Mataxes » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:38 pm

Yes, layering armor was intentionally removed from ED4.
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

MetalBoar

Re: Espagra cloaks as layered armor in 4th edition

Post by MetalBoar » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:52 pm

Yes, layering armor was intentionally removed from ED4.
That seems reasonable given the new rules. Thanks for the reply!