Minstrel's Wind [ED3]

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Graymayne
Minstrel's Wind [ED3]

Post by Graymayne » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:12 pm

Greetings,

Was just digging through some of my old files and since we've had a few archived forums since its original posting. So, I figured I'd repost this for those who weren't around or never got it saved back in the day. This was a spell created for [ED3] 'IIRC' and should be credited to the Earthdawn Community as a whole which is how I presented it when it was on the forums originally and having several community members assisting me with the final version.

Minstrel's Wind
Fourth Circle Elementalist Spell

Threads: 2
Weaving: 9 / 17
Casting: 10
Range: Touch
Duration: 1 Hour
Effect: +5 to tests for playing a target instrument

Air. The magician whistles and holds the target musical instrument while weaving the spell threads. Once the Spellcasting Test is successful, five tasked air spirits are summoned and bound to the target instrument for the spell's duration. The spirits spread out to cover an area of up to 50 yards from the instrument, enhancing the acoustic properties of both instrument and area. The musician adds a +5 bonus to any tests made involving or requiring playing the instrument.

- Graymayne

The Undying

Re: Minstrel's Wind [ED3]

Post by The Undying » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:22 pm

Costing and fit in ED4 for this particular spell aside - I love spells like this. They're interesting, their niche, they don't come up often but are great when they do, you don't have to heartburn too long over cost and power level because who cares if they're a little too powerful it'll rarely come up. Maybe we'll see more RAW spells like this when the ED4 magic-focused source comes out in a few years.

Tattered Rags

Post by Tattered Rags » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:35 pm

Extra successes and extra threads?

Perhaps:
enhance an extra instrument, adding another +2 for each extra instrument
increased area of effect
increased duration (this only makes sense if the original spell is in minutes, which perhaps it should be, at 1 thread less?)
Adventure I'm running:
Under the Stars

Adventure GM post-mortem:
Under the Stars Postmortem

Lars Gottlieb

Post by Lars Gottlieb » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:59 pm

It's neat (o: