More than one Talent Option each circle?

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
ChrisDDickey
Re: More than one Talent Option each circle?

Post by ChrisDDickey » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:36 am

Without an option such as this, players have to make hard choices. Some would say that the hard choice, all by itself, is a good thing. You can't have it all.

Players that do want it all, have to multi-discipline their characters, which is expensive and slows development more than they might wish. These proposals seem like an attempt at a somewhat cheaper alternative to multi-disciplining to get access to more talents, allowing you to build your character slightly wider, but not as wide as multi-disciplining. Many a time I have agonized over which talent options to choose, and wishing to choose more than is allowed.

I really like sigfriedmcwild's idea of letting them pick up extra additional talents only from lower tiers, but paying for them at higher tier cost.
When in journeyman tier, being allowed to pick up a discipline talent, one journeyman tier optional talent, plus yet another novice tier optional talent, paying for all three at Jouneyman rates, sounds like a fair and balanced way to ease the quandary. (assuming you agree that the quandary must be eased).

Aegharan

Post by Aegharan » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:52 am

From the proposed options I like the extra-option-but-one-tier-below best, but that is basically taking skills as talents, with the benefit of massively easier increasing past rank 1.

With this proposal devaluing Versatility and skills, I'd not be in favor of allowing it, but I guess you see what your table agrees to...

Lursi

Post by Lursi » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:38 pm

I received the question whether I would allow the player to trade in a fixed discipline talent for an option.

In my opinion it is almost a disadvantage if a talent is not in you option pool but in your fixed list at a fixed circle.

I agree that it is good to limit the availability somewhat to a certain power level.

I allow however the exchange for a talent option from your pool. (Also in circle 1!) Together with the regular option you have enough choice and no further picks are permitted.
Of all things I lost, sanity I held dearest.