Loosing your turn due to encumbrance

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Lursi
Loosing your turn due to encumbrance

Post by Lursi » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:27 am

A question to those who have played also the earlier editions.

I was playing with folks who applied the rule of one also to initiative results. (You would loose your turn on a one) I pointed out that ED-classic is explicit about this not being the case.

However I believe there has been a different version of this in an earlier edition saying something like:
If your initiative roll is zero due to a modifier, you would loose your turn.
This modifier could be resulting from step 1 or 2 ini due to encumbrance,wounds or other modifiers.

Has anyone seen a rule in earlier editions that supports either one case?
Of all things I lost, sanity I held dearest.

wiztigers

Re: Loosing your turn due to encumbrance

Post by wiztigers » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:02 am

In 1st ed., modifiers did apply to the step / action dice before the roll, not after.
If your Initiative step was reduced to 0 or less, you could only move and could not take any other action.

So, you did not really loose your whole turn, but ... not far from it.

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:13 pm

I consider Initiative more of an effect/result test, meaning the "Rule of One" doesn't apply -- especially because most characters will have single-die Initiative steps, making that result even more likely.

It's needlessly punitive -- you're already going last, why layer more on top of it?
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

Lursi

Post by Lursi » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:46 pm

Thank you for the feedback.

I agree, it is too punitive to loose your turn on a 1 on a d6...

I just wanted to know what others think.

wiztigers

Post by wiztigers » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:26 am

At our table, we just assume that doing nothing during the turn is specific to experienced players who ae not even capable to decide what they do in less than one minute. Listen man, gm and players have better things to do than waiting while you shuffle through your grimoire or think about what is the perfect action to take.

Yes, I have two players that are perfectionists like that. So if they can't decide fast what they do, they do nothing. ;)
Other player's turn is for thinking about what you do. Your turn is for saying what you do.

Lursi

Post by Lursi » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:04 am

Just to differentiate...
I agree, players who repeatedly cant make up their mind should feel consequences. Otherwise the sense of urgency does not come across.

This is however the answer to a different (but surely equally valuable) question. Mine was about loosing turns purely due to dice results.

ragbasti

Post by ragbasti » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:09 am

There is no rule of 1 on initiative. I am not aware of anything like this from the versions I have played personally (ED2,3,4).
EDC is basically just an updated ED1, so this should also overlap.

The best example would be the gauntlet, who can reduce his initiative to a 1 in order to gain a higher bonus.

etherial

Post by etherial » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:15 am

AIUI, if your Initiative Step is reduced to zero or lower, you act every other turn on 1.

IMB, If your initiative result is 1 or lower, you go on "rock" and if your initiative result is 2, you go on "not rock". And the bad guy always gets a 0-phase soliloquy.

ragbasti

Post by ragbasti » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:41 pm

etherial wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:15 am
AIUI, if your Initiative Step is reduced to zero or lower, you act every other turn on 1.
There is no such thing in the books.
The only rule that exists states that, if a characters initiative gets reduce below step 1, they always act last in the round as if their initiative result was 1.

ChrisDDickey

Post by ChrisDDickey » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:50 am

Page 372 wrote:A character whose Initiative Step is involuntarily reduced below Step 1 — for example, through Wounds or magic — acts last in the round, with an effective Initiative of 1.
page 33, top paragraph wrote:Regardless of modifiers, the minimum result on any test is 1