Invae, where to look?

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
PiXeL01
Invae, where to look?

Post by PiXeL01 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:58 am

I am gearing up to expose my players to the Invae as I did in Shadowrun with bug spirits.
Before doing so I was wondering where I could find more detailed information about them and the Burnings.
Have any adventures been written about them at all?

Lars Gottlieb

Re: Invae, where to look?

Post by Lars Gottlieb » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:55 am

There is a page of info in the gamemasters book, and some more references both in the spirits and historical chapters.

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:52 pm

I think there should be a tribe of dwarves in a jungle somewhere that is convinced that Windlings are corrupted by Invae.

etherial

Post by etherial » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:34 am

Slimcreeper wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:52 pm
I think there should be a tribe of dwarves in a jungle somewhere that is convinced that Windlings are corrupted by Invae.
I've run many a kaer-delve where the natives assumed the windling was some sort of pet.

Marzhin

Post by Marzhin » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:31 pm

I seem to recall the old ED1 adventures Blades featured Invae. But my memory of it is fuzzy.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)

Anunnaki

Post by Anunnaki » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:12 pm

Hi PiXeL01,

As Lars kindly noted, in ED4 there is some information in the Gamemaster's Guide (with some specific game information in the Spirits chapter).

ED1 has information in the Barsaive box set, touching on the Invae Burnings in The Barsaive Gamemaster Book, along with some "one size fits all" game statistics. The Horrors book mentions the Invae Burnings in the fiction for the Bone Crown the Usurper entry. And The Theran Empire makes a reference in the Creana chapter about invae being a threat there. The Parlainth box set mentions "several species of invae" among the city's inhabitants. The Survival Guide has some references to the Invae Burnings and their subversion of the cult of Chorrolis, along with the Scythan infestations. There is also reference to a rumored colony in the Mist Swamps, realm of the great dragon Aban. Secret Societies of Barsaive notes some rumors about The People From Across The Aras Sea, smuggling invae into Urupa. The Infected adventure has a reference to the formation of the Grim Legion during the Invae Burnings. And as was kindly noted by Marzhin, Blades has some invae-like Horror constructs in it. LRG's Path of Deception has a character who is looking for a way to summon and control invae.

The EDC Gamemaster's Compendium and ED3 Gamemaster's Guide each have similar sections in their respective Spirits chapters titled On the Invae, referencing the Burnings and including game statistics for Strength Rating 1-15 spirits.

In short, there's not a lot of information on Invae in ED (more's the pity).

The Shadowrun supplement "Bug City" is a good place to find information on bug spirits, which can be useful for crafting your own invae to torment your players with.

Hope this helps!

Take kaer, James

PiXeL01

Post by PiXeL01 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:26 pm

Thank you for the very detailed information about the Invae in the Invae era. Sadly I was hoping for hopefully a written adventure or more concrete stuff than the hearsay that can be found here and there. However I do understand that the timeline is not where the Invae burnings would occur or incidents similar to what happened (will happen) in Chicago in 2055 (see Burning Bright or Bug City) or the dealings made like those found in Project Hope, 2xs or Queen Euphoria. It's simply too late in Earthdawn, which focuses on recovering from something far worse than bugs

Telarus

Post by Telarus » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:58 pm

Great references! I have recently considered the Invae as a way to play classic modules like A1: Slave Pits of the Undercity, which features a secret cult of ant-men running a screen of orc slavers. I've been thinking about using that as the next Greyhawk->Earthdawn conversion I run (most likey after the Airhsip rules are done). The whole Scourge of the Slavelords series could be very useful in making Invae feel like a current threat (just how many Invae nests are there in Thera, anyway, Hmmmmmm).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scourge_o ... lave_Lords