4th ed spells now take LP to learn?

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Bonhumm
Re: 4th ed spells now take LP to learn?

Post by Bonhumm » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:40 am

Lursi wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:33 am
Question: when a hero has learned a spell of higher circle than his own, and copied it into his grimoir, does he still need to attune to his OWN grimoir for 10 minutes in order to cast it safely?
I'm assuming you mean to cast from grimoire?

If so then yes. It takes 10 minutes to attune a spell to a grimoire; the Circle of the spell as no effect on that.
I remind you that the spell then can only be cast for [Number of successes] X 10 minutes afterward. The number of successes is likely to be lower the higher the circle of the spell is so casting from grimoire has very limited usefulness.

Lursi

Post by Lursi » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:13 pm

Thx.

So it does not matter whether it is your own grimoir you cast from, or a grimoir from someone else?
Of all things I lost, sanity I held dearest.

Bonhumm

Post by Bonhumm » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:07 pm

Lursi wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:13 pm
So it does not matter whether it is your own grimoir you cast from, or a grimoir from someone else?
From page 263 of the Player's guide: When working with a grimoire other than their own, all tests related to preparing and casting a spell suffer a -2 penalty.

And also, from page 265: If a magician is casting from his own grimoire, he gains an extra success if the spell is cast successfully.