Group Pattern

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Bonhumm
Group Pattern

Post by Bonhumm » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:15 pm

Reading the group pattern section in the Player's Guide and I'm surprised to find how unclear what is the advantages of it.

The rules are quite clear on the procedures, conditions and cost of a Group Pattern but the only thing I can find on the advantages is a cryptic line stating: These threads can be used to enhance a character’s talents or characteristics while they are interacting with the group.

I'm GUESSING that by 'enhance' they mean increase the Step of said talent by 1 Step per thread but are those 'characteristics' that can also be enhanced?

Panda

Re: Group Pattern

Post by Panda » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:25 pm

Greetings,

This is addressed in "Using Woven Threads" on p. 230, which covers all threads to Pattern Items. Group Patterns are a special exception and get their own section.

Hopefully this helps. Please let me know if there are any questions or anything else I can do.

Best regards,

Morgan

Bonhumm

Post by Bonhumm » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:38 pm

Panda wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:25 pm
Greetings,

This is addressed in "Using Woven Threads" on p. 230, which covers all threads to Pattern Items. Group Patterns are a special exception and get their own section.

Hopefully this helps. Please let me know if there are any questions or anything else I can do.

Best regards,

Morgan
In other words: read the book in the correct order!

Thank you :-)

Belenus

Post by Belenus » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:13 am

But here a list of what you can enhance:
  • Defenses
    • Physical
    • Mystic
    • Social
  • Talents (including Durability)
  • Wound Threshold
And yes, enhance means increasing the step by 1-5 :D

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:11 pm

Note that increasing Durability with a Group Pattern thread (or other permanent thread) increases your effective Circle for the purpose of Durability, not the character's Durability Rating.

So a Circle 4 Swordmaster has Durability 7 and normally gets +28 (4 x 7) health from Durability.

If they weave a Rank 1 thread, they are effectively Circle 5 and get +35 (5 x 7) to their health ratings, not +32 (4 x 8).
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com