Additional Target (+1) Spell Thread

Discussion on game mastering Earthdawn. May contain spoilers; caution is recommended!
Serespar
Additional Target (+1) Spell Thread

Post by Serespar » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:48 pm

Hi All, apologies if this is already covered somewhere. Couldn't seem to find it looking through the forums and thought I'd ask how ya'll handle this.

Many offensive spells have an Additional Target (+1) Additional Thread option. Am assuming that this can only be used when there are multiple opponents but thought I'd get a clarification.

Example:
Earth Darts is in an Enhanced Matrix with the Additional Target (+1) thread woven.

Situation 1
The character may target two different goons in the fight. She makes a single spellcasting test and compares the result to the mystic defense of each of the goons; successes and damage are resolved normally.

Situation 2
The PCs are in the boss fight with the horror. She may NOT try to hit the horror twice with Earth Darts in a single cast; the Additional Target (+1) is for an additional separate opponent in a single casting. She does get to make her single spellcasting test which is resolved against the horror normally, but can't take advantage of the Additional Target (+1) thread unless there is more than one opponent.

Is this technically correct or do you play it more liberally and allow the heroes to machine gun offensive spells against a bad guy?

Mataxes

Re: Additional Target (+1) Spell Thread

Post by Mataxes » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:59 pm

You are correct -- the "+1 target" refers to an additional individual. So in your situation 2 you couldn't cast the spell twice on the Horror. The +1 target thread in that case is effectively wasted, but since it's in an enhanced matrix it isn't costing you extra time.

(Note there isn't anything preventing the magician from changing the pre-woven thread as part of the reattunement process, either on-the-fly or through the normal method.)
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

ottdmk

Post by ottdmk » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:44 pm

In Situation 1, isn't the normal procedure to compare the Spellcasting test to the highest MD of all targets, and if the result is insufficient, the spell fails? Or is that just area effect stuff?

What I mean is, Target #1 has MD 12, and Target #2 has MD 8 and I cast Earth Darts as described... if I get a 10 on the Spellcasting roll, does the spell just fail, or does Target #2 actually get hit?

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:59 am

ottdmk wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:44 pm
In Situation 1, isn't the normal procedure to compare the Spellcasting test to the highest MD of all targets, and if the result is insufficient, the spell fails? Or is that just area effect stuff?

What I mean is, Target #1 has MD 12, and Target #2 has MD 8 and I cast Earth Darts as described... if I get a 10 on the Spellcasting roll, does the spell just fail, or does Target #2 actually get hit?
Per the clarification in the official FAQ, you are correct. Unless the spell indicates otherwise, the Spellcasting test must succeed against all designated targets at the time it is cast.

So, you are correct. In your example, the spell would not affect either target.

I didn't address that in my answer because the question wasn't really about that (it was basically, "What if I am casting a multi-target spell at a single target?"). Assume I add, "The normal rules for multiple target or area-effect spellcasting apply."
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com