Banking in Barsaive

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
TheOracle
Banking in Barsaive

Post by TheOracle » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:10 am

Is there a banking system in Barsaive, possibly in Throal? Where does an adventurer store his fortune when he doesn't want to carry it around with him? Orichalcum coins are all well and good, but are easily lost.

Bonhumm

Re: Banking in Barsaive

Post by Bonhumm » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:04 pm

Good question. I don't remember reading anything about a real banking system in Barsaive nor even in Thera, but what you are describing in your example is more like secure holding, not banking.

I am sure there is several places that offer to rent space in secure area like vaults and the likes, especially in a place with so many kaers. If that place resisted Verjigorm, it will resist a thief.

I could see the existence of basic banking services as they begun in 11th century: usury loan, money changing and letters of credits.

Letters of credits would make even more sense in a world where magic exist for it would be easier to check for forgeries and the speed up the transfer of information between branches.

Lursi

Post by Lursi » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:58 pm

Wikipedia says:
In Babylonia of 2000 B.C., people depositing gold were required to pay amounts as much as one sixtieth of the total deposited. Both the palaces and temple are known to have provided lending and issuing from the wealth they held—the palaces to a lesser extent. Such loans typically involved issuing seed-grain, with re-payment from the harvest. These basic social agreements were documented in clay tablets, with an agreement on interest accrual. The habit of depositing and storing of wealth in temples continued at least until 209 B.C., as evidenced by Antioch having ransacked or pillaged the temple of Aine in Ecbatana (Media) of gold and silver.

Earthdawn has all means to secure loans, bloodoaths, spirit communication, with paper money only one step away...

Would be fun to have an adventure with some hyperinflation or someone pulling off a ponzi scheme...
Of all things I lost, sanity I held dearest.

etherial

Post by etherial » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:11 pm

House Carinci will gladly take your coin and forward a letter of credit via Obsidimail to any of their counting houses anywhere in the Empire. Even in the Rogue Province.

TheOracle

Post by TheOracle » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:20 pm

etherial wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:11 pm
House Carinci will gladly take your coin and forward a letter of credit via Obsidimail to any of their counting houses anywhere in the Empire. Even in the Rogue Province.
I could actually imagine that the trading houses have many of the functions that banks perform in the modern world. That's a good hint! Thank you!

Calamrin

Post by Calamrin » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:49 pm

Trading houses the true power of Thera...they one way or another control everything.

daniel_a

Post by daniel_a » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:38 am

After having read the Questors book it wouldn't surprise me if you could find some Questors of Chorrolis willing to help you out with some arrangement in that regard. If the question about a banking organisation in Barsaive came up in my campaign, I would probably use Chorrolis in some way for that anyway. To me that sounds like something both Chorrolis himself/herself would be interested in, as well as his/her Questors.

ChrisDDickey

Post by ChrisDDickey » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:23 am

Bonhumm wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:04 pm
Letters of credits would make even more sense in a world where magic exist for it would be easier to check for forgeries and the speed up the transfer of information between branches.
Excepting that magic also makes it easier for better forgeries to be made. Forgery is now a Talent Knack of Slough Blame.

BahtRastard

Post by BahtRastard » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:11 am

IMB, Most of the trading houses will hold your silver and issue a letter of credit, for a 10-20% fee.

Flowswithdrek

Post by Flowswithdrek » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:37 pm

TheOracle wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:10 am
Is there a banking system in Barsaive, possibly in Throal? Where does an adventurer store his fortune when he doesn't want to carry it around with him? Orichalcum coins are all well and good, but are easily lost.
The Chamber of Vaults in Travar's Tower of Commerce more or less covers this. Handles contracts. Stores money. Give Loans. Converts currency.