Damage Boosting Talents Issue

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
UglyGoblin
Damage Boosting Talents Issue

Post by UglyGoblin » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:33 pm

Why Talents like Surprise Strike, Crushing Blow or Willforce are not measured only by its rank? I mean, what's idea stays behind it, since these Talents are more like a damage bonus, not a replacement. It's simplier to add talent rank to damage step than substract weapon damge and then add to talent step. I know for most of ED fans it's not a real problem at all, but it bothers me since 1st edition :x

etherial

Re: Damage Boosting Talents Issue

Post by etherial » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:30 pm

UglyGoblin wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:33 pm
Why Talents like Surprise Strike, Crushing Blow or Willforce are not measured only by its rank? I mean, what's idea stays behind it, since these Talents are more like a damage bonus, not a replacement. It's simplier to add talent rank to damage step than substract weapon damge and then add to talent step. I know for most of ED fans it's not a real problem at all, but it bothers me since 1st edition :x
It's an attempt by the game designers to make clear which things stack and which don't. I agree it could be more clear.

RazanMG

Post by RazanMG » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:19 pm

Because some replace and some add. So its possible to use two talents for damage.

UglyGoblin

Post by UglyGoblin » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:53 pm

Because some replace and some add. So its possible to use two talents for damage.
Yes, but You can add, say Down Strike to Claw Shape, which cause calculation problem.

Panda

Post by Panda » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:53 pm

This doesn't present a calculation problem any more than using a weapon. Which is functionally what Claw Shape is.

Since Claw Shape and Down Strike both replace Strength, it just substitutes for Strength twice in any order:

Rank{DS}+(Rank{CS}+STR+3); since this is all addition, the parentheses don't actually mean anything beyond separating terms.

Using a weapon with Down Strike looks like:

(Rank{DS}+STR)+Weapon+Forge

iduno

Post by iduno » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:21 pm

etherial wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:30 pm
It's an attempt by the game designers to make clear which things stack and which don't. I agree it could be more clear.
The wording still isn't good (replacing strength step with talent step, go look up step at the top of the talent listing, step is strength+rank could just be "replace strength with strength step+rank"), but if what you say is true, at least knowing why it was done that way makes it coherent.

I originally misunderstood "replace this step with rank" instead of "replace this step with another step" because of the awkward wording, which forced me to reread it a few times. Better once I understood, but probably more confusion than is intended. I'm also reading the books after work, so I'm not at 100%.