question: skill points at creation

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Slimcreeper
Re: question: skill points at creation

Post by Slimcreeper » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:50 am

*shrug* It is totally legit for us to run it different ways. In my mind, a person with a sword or a staff or even bare hands would have a pretty easy job disrupting a missile weapon and a much harder time doing the same to a melee weapon, because a melee weapon is designed and used in such a way as to make that a dangerous business. I do think the line is a bit fuzzier with throwing weapons. You could almost treat them as disposable melee weapons. An archer should be really nervous if in melee with someone with a sword, though.

etherial

Post by etherial » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:09 pm

Slimcreeper wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:50 am
*shrug* It is totally legit for us to run it different ways. In my mind, a person with a sword or a staff or even bare hands would have a pretty easy job disrupting a missile weapon and a much harder time doing the same to a melee weapon, because a melee weapon is designed and used in such a way as to make that a dangerous business. I do think the line is a bit fuzzier with throwing weapons. You could almost treat them as disposable melee weapons. An archer should be really nervous if in melee with someone with a sword, though.
The thing about throwing weapons is that they're flung, not launched. The primary difference between throwing an axe at a person 10 feet away and hitting them with it in melee is letting go. I'll ask my friends who do combat archery whether they think shooting someone at Point Black Range is realistic or not, but the need for mobility is one of the Archer's few weaknesses as a Discipline. I much prefer the idea of an archer having to drop their bow and wrestle with an assailant for a round than simply dropping them with a True Nut Shot.

Bonhumm

Post by Bonhumm » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:01 am

etherial wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:09 pm
The thing about throwing weapons is that they're flung, not launched.
So I'll guess I'd go:

Missiles: As long as the bow/crossbow string is fully distended = in range (for a bow that would mean about the length of the arrow, for a crossbow maybe actual point black since bolts are usually very short and that the 'barrel' of the crossbow usually extend beyond the point where the string stops.

Throwing: Length of the fully extended arm of the thrower + a variable % of the length of the weapon, depending how it is being held (a spear would usually be held within the second half of the shaft depending on how heavy the head is, while a throwing dagger would be held by the tip of the blade.

So basically: whatever is the length between the user's torso and the location of the tip of the missile once lose = minimum range.

HOWEVER: I would also make talents that usually only works against melee attacks works against those attacks, like Riposte.