Group true patterns

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Calamrin
Group true patterns

Post by Calamrin » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:27 pm

Group true patterns.....theres like 5 pages on how they are set up, costs, new members/old members and consequences of falling into wrong hands etc..

Theres 3 paragraphs on weaving threads into the group pattern, which is the closest it comes to explaining what they can actually do, and even then its very vague.So ive a few questions:

-are they like normal pattern items but shared...so the group decides what power for each thread and they share them?

-are they individual items...so each member can pick powers that are linked to his/her symbolic item, so in effect each player gains different benefits?

-the threads improve the characters talents or characteristics..what does that cover and how far?

-i mean is a 4th thread more powerful than a first, or just different, or just another bonus adding to the others...

Its just very hard to fathom out what the intention is, or whats possible with them.

Slimcreeper

Re: Group true patterns

Post by Slimcreeper » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:01 pm

My understanding is that each thread you weave from your pattern to the Group Pattern powers a different aspect of your pattern. So each adept decides whether it is boosting Spellcasting or Melee or Wound Threshold or whatever.

You could have one thread at rank 3 boosting Physical Defense, giving you a +3 to physical defense and a second thread at rank 2 boosting your Wound Threshold, giving you a +2 to your Wound Threshold. There are limits to the number of threads and the ranks you can have, but it's pretty potent.

PiXeL01

Post by PiXeL01 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:40 pm

To each group pattern a character can weave up to 5 threads.
Each thread boosts an aspect of the character when working for the benefit of the group. The list of characteristics that can be improved this is found on p. 230.
Each thread can have a maximum rank of 5.

Each member of the group pattern decides for themselves what benefits they gain from the pattern.
For instance my ork Thief/Wizard currently has Lock Picking, Disarm Trap, Melee Weapons, and Spellcasting boosted by 2 as their threads are all rank 2. The last fifth thread might be designated to a defense value, though haven't decided yet.

The other members of the pattern gain other bonuses

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:56 am

The others have covered it pretty well in their posts. You need to look at group patterns as (sort of) a subset of weaving threads to people and places, so a lot of the information there pertains to those as well. (There are a couple of exceptions -- the custom pattern item you create for the group pattern doesn't follow the same rules as other minor pattern items, for example.)

Each member of the group weaves their own threads, and decides what those threads will enhance. So the Wizard might choose Spellcasting, Mystic Defense, and Mystic Armor; while the Swordmaster weaves to Riposte, Melee Weapons, and Physical Defense.

Any bonus to a talent counts as a rank for everything except Circle advancement. So, for example, if you weave a rank 1 thread to Avoid Blow, not only is the new Step adjusted +1, you also get an extra use of the talent. If a talent's duration is based on rank, that goes up (Wood Skin would last an extra hour, for example), and so on. Defense ratings and other characteristics (Mystic Armor) are increased by the thread rank.

In some respects, it's a way to get some added power with a little bit more Legend Point efficiency. For instance, if you have Rank 5 Melee Weapons as a Swordmaster, it would cost you 1300 Legend to raise it to Rank 6. But a Rank 1 group pattern thread (effectively raising it to Rank 6) would only cost 300 Legend.

From a story standpoint, you gain power by swearing an oath and dedicating yourself to a common cause. There are some potential drawbacks (mainly the group pattern allows those with the know-how to potentially affect all members of the group -- look at the adventure Blades for an extreme case of how this can go wrong).
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

Calamrin

Post by Calamrin » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:50 am

right i get it thanks for that everyone!

ive another question...im assuming each thread in the group true pattern counts towards the total you can have?

example:

say my threadweaving is 4.
Ive a thread in a magic shield and a magic sword
i put 2 in group true pattern
thats me all threaded out so to speak until i put threadweaving up.

Another question, is it ok to strengthen a true pattern thread...say spend lp/roll and increase its rank, at a later date when u have the lp?

PiXeL01

Post by PiXeL01 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:55 am

Yes, group threads count towards the number of active threads you can have at any given time.

And yes, you can upgrade them at anytime you choose. The threads do not have to be at the same rank either, nor do you need five threads before you can upgrade the first.

Calamrin

Post by Calamrin » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:30 am

thanks PiXeL01, i get the feeling its not the first time this has been asked!

Appreciate the reply)

PiXeL01

Post by PiXeL01 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:00 am

I actually think I asked similar questions when I started with ED, so I'm just giving back :)