Blunt arrows

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
JeretJax
Blunt arrows

Post by JeretJax » Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:06 am

Is there any mechanism or can an archer create nonlethal arrows. That would work like an attack to knock down?

ChrisDDickey

Re: Blunt arrows

Post by ChrisDDickey » Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:18 am

If a GM has no problems with blunt arrows and a shot to the knee, then it can work. If not, no.

ragbasti

Post by ragbasti » Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:41 am

I'd allow a called shot with the aim to cause Knockdown. Archers can pump enough Karma into attacks that this should be a trivial task for them.
Blunt arrows and the like is not something that I'd want in my game but your table, your rules.

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:39 pm

Blunt Arrows can do Stun Damage, easy peasy.

Belenus

Post by Belenus » Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:00 pm

Slimcreeper wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:39 pm
Blunt Arrows can do Stun Damage, easy peasy.
But I'd still give them the same mali as with called shots. Because normally those arrows won't be able to pierce armors as normal ones do.

Sharkforce

Post by Sharkforce » Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:49 pm

I expect you would find that blunt arrows irl are not terribly non-lethal. worse at penetrating armour, sure. less likely to kill, maybe. still very capable of killing a person who is hit with them, also yes.

of course, if you don't care about the fact that getting hit by a blunt arrow is about as non-lethal as being hit by a blunt sling stone, then by all means add that to your games. it's not particularly less realistic than being able to knock people unconscious with melee weapons with perfect consistency, and that's already in the game. and, while I wouldn't say that blunt arrows as a non-lethal tactic sounds at all reliable, I do suspect that you'd be more likely to inflict the kind of injury that would knock someone unconscious with a blunt arrow, so if you *are* going to allow knocking people unconscious with an arrow, it does make *more* sense with a blunt arrow than a pointy one.

JeretJax

Post by JeretJax » Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:53 pm

I was looking for a way to do limited damage. Like knocking over a cadavermen without wounding it. In battles with cadavermen each time I shoot I wound them and make it difficult for everyone else.

Sharkforce

Post by Sharkforce » Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:36 pm

that's pretty much inevitable. the solution is to all try to kill the same one, and try to kill that one faster :)

Belenus

Post by Belenus » Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:05 pm

With some tactics the whole group could also postpone their action in this round, so they all take turn after the cadaverman. And should it still live, the faster ones in the next round can give it the rest :mrgreen:
Or try talking to them. Some are quite cooperative :lol:

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:22 pm

Usually when a person is knocked out for more than a few seconds due to system shock, they are going to wake up with brain damage. 'Knocking people out' is massively unrealistic. And so is the Unconscious Rating - If a person is hit with a sword so often they fall unconscious, they will not in general recover after a minute - they will bleed out.

But! We are just playing a game, and knocking people out can open up more interesting story options, so I say go for it.

Honestly, Unconscious Rating should maybe be Morale - the point at which you give up and can't fight anymore.