Training Pledge/Ghost Master in 4th ed

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
ZorValachan
Training Pledge/Ghost Master in 4th ed

Post by ZorValachan » Thu May 20, 2021 8:28 pm

Is there anything like the Training Pledge and/or Ghost Master in 4th ed? My GM is looking for optional advancement choices as we are nearing circle 2, but heaping a lot of silver on us isn't really logical in game and there is only so much "let me help you for a discount" reductions that can be done for 8 adepts in one city. I remembered these Training Pledges and Ghost Masters and found it in 2nd ed, but wasn't sure how (or if) this is a thing in 4th ed.

Thanks

Belenus

Re: Training Pledge/Ghost Master in 4th ed

Post by Belenus » Thu May 20, 2021 10:02 pm

It's working the same in 4th ED.
But for a Ghost Master you need an Orichalcum coin, which costs 10.000 silver. It's also really hard to find and summon one in the first place and should first occure when nearing the Warden Circle.
The normal and most common way to increase your circle is to find and pay a master. A Training Pledge should only be an exception.
Btw, instead of heaping a lot of silver, you also can use gold, elemental coins or even gemstones.

In my world we introduced a bank system and got rid of the money exchange costs. It works with the nethermancers spell Grave Message (instead of Internet :P), so each bank is always able to check how much money the character currently has.
This is just a simplified system we actually don't put too much thought into. There is no pay rent / tax and there are no adventures involved, where a bank gets robbed or even a player wants to rob one.

But you could do so, if wanted:
Just think of it as an extremely secure building, having some elemental earth in the walls and one or two kaer runes protecting the money.
The Grave Message itself is secured by a changing password and in a world without higher technology, it shouldn't be possible to crack it this easily :D
The effort to rob the bank is probably higher than the possible income ^^

ZorValachan

Post by ZorValachan » Fri May 21, 2021 2:37 am

Belenus wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 10:02 pm
It's working the same in 4th ED.
But for a Ghost Master you need an Orichalcum coin, which costs 10.000 silver. It's also really hard to find and summon one in the first place and should first occure when nearing the Warden Circle.
The normal and most common way to increase your circle is to find and pay a master. A Training Pledge should only be an exception.
Btw, instead of heaping a lot of silver, you also can use gold, elemental coins or even gemstones.

In my world we introduced a bank system and got rid of the money exchange costs. It works with the nethermancers spell Grave Message (instead of Internet :P), so each bank is always able to check how much money the character currently has.
This is just a simplified system we actually don't put too much thought into. There is no pay rent / tax and there are no adventures involved, where a bank gets robbed or even a player wants to rob one.

But you could do so, if wanted:
Just think of it as an extremely secure building, having some elemental earth in the walls and one or two kaer runes protecting the money.
The Grave Message itself is secured by a changing password and in a world without higher technology, it shouldn't be possible to crack it this easily :D
The effort to rob the bank is probably higher than the possible income ^^
Thanks! Basically at first circle we started as prisoners on an airship that then crashed in the mountains and we escaped. We have no idea where we are and are fighting and trying to find our way back to civilization. we've been fighting wildlife. And while we got a few silver and gems and a couple air coins and have collected skins, and other animal/monster parts to take back for silver and LP, it's just out of place to have treasure trying to survive in the wilderness. We are not all going to use this, The GM just wanted options and honestly (for me, not sure on other the players) after playing other game systems recently where money is cheap and easy, it's nice to get some hardships - We are having a blast.

ChrisDDickey

Post by ChrisDDickey » Sat May 22, 2021 12:26 am

I think that for a "Novice characters lost in the wilderness" type story, the best solution is just to in your world waive training for a certain time period. For example if you are not getting back to civilization until around 4th or 5th circle, then just waive training for Novice advancement, that training was all covered in your Initiation, and you don't require further training until Journeyman. Or something like that. It is not unique to your characters, this specific world is just like that.

By the way, There is a page or two on Ghost Masters in the Companion.

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Sat May 22, 2021 5:37 am

As mentioned, Training Pledges and Ghost Masters work basically the same way in ED4. The write-ups are in the Companion, since they tend to be associated more closely with higher-Circle play.
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

ZorValachan

Post by ZorValachan » Wed May 26, 2021 1:30 pm

Thanks, i will direct my GM there :D