Preview requests

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
The Undying
Preview requests

Post by The Undying » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:04 am

Mataxes asked for input on what we'd like to see in upcoming previews, now that all the core Disciplines have been provided,

For me, Enchanting is still the thing I'm most excited about, specifically for Thread Items.

Even aside from how much influence it allows a player to have on their world, I see Enchanting as one of the niche areas where High-Circle capabilities can be dragged down into Low-Circle, if just barely. A Journeyman -CAN- do some Enchanting, it's just going to be a bit dicey, and they're going to need to do some adventuring to gather materials and perform significant deeds (which, honestly, is more interesting than a Warden sitting around pumping out items because s/he has the stats for it). With the Warden Elementalist karma ability, I'm really hoping for a great rebirth of a system.

Tattered Rags

Re: Preview requests

Post by Tattered Rags » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:39 am

Honestly, I could go for that, too. Getting more details on how the creature masks work would be good, as well.
Adventure I'm running:
Under the Stars

Adventure GM post-mortem:
Under the Stars Postmortem

PiXeL01

Post by PiXeL01 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:36 am

Personally I would love to see more about Questors and how they are handled, especially those serving the Mad Passions.

The Undying

Post by The Undying » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:45 am

PiXeL01 wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:36 am
Personally I would love to see more about Questors and how they are handled, especially those serving the Mad Passions.
That raises an interesting question - given that a ED4 source SPECIFIC to Questors is underway, are we likely to see anything other than cursory info in the Companion on this? I'd personally be fine with that. I understand that not everyone would buy Questors and it means that a good piece of info is left out of the Companion, making the old feeling of "Guide + Companion is good enough" fall apart a bit, but it seems like a small loss to me.

Dougansf

Post by Dougansf » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:05 am

Things that can be immediately useful for PCs as soon as the book drops:

Errata or clarification of the previous books.
Knacks.
Creature Masks

Uli

Post by Uli » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:28 pm

Knacks and additional disciplines please (horror stalker, purifier, messenger etc.). :)

The Undying

Post by The Undying » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:16 am

I'd also be interested in the Knacks stuff, but probably from more of a design angle that is not in the book (and thus makes better preview exposition):

1) What makes good Knacks (and maybe some costing guidelines)

2) Talents specifically designed for Knacks (something that's been said a number of times in the High-Circle previews, would be nice to see an example as well as explanation of how that effects the overall design of the base talent)

BRW

Post by BRW » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:03 am

Knack design guidelines is something I would absolutely love to see in previews if not just outright in the book.

The Undying

Post by The Undying » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:59 pm

Another thing I'd love to see, either in the book or as a longer (or multi-part "preview") would be spell design.

I know, I know, I've asked for this before. BUT right now I'm thinking in terms of Companion material...

Magician advancement either into or through (depending on group) Master tier requires research and demonstration of a new spell. Master level spells really only exist in existing published material up to about Circle 10. So, the suggestion is either that formal, we'll known spells really don't exist at or above those Circles or that the designers don't really WANT magic to exist at that level (a Circle 15 spell can likely change the entire face of Brasaive, though it likely takes days or weeks to cast). In the former case, though, players and GM could really use some meaningful guidance on spell creation, especially at this point where published spells putter out and tables have to develop their own stuff. For example, a great fundamental question: should combat-relevant spells (I.e., non-ritual spells, which take minutes or hours per thread) exist at High Circle?

Kosmit

Post by Kosmit » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:51 am

Maybe some additional plot? Those couple pages in GM Guide deserve more detailed material :)