Steps Beta!

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Lars Gottlieb
Steps Beta!

Post by Lars Gottlieb » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:15 pm

Hullo Earthdawnies!

Over the last two years, I have been slowly chiseling away at a Character generator for Earthdawn 4th edition.

I am proud to say that today, I am opening up my resulting Steps web app for beta testing.

If you are interested, please follow this link

Have a look around, and tell me what you think, and, especially, if something breaks down on your end. Click the topleft burger to access the menu and find the email link on the About page.

The app should work in any modern browser, and for now focuses on data from the Players Guide, Gamemasters Guide and Companion, which means no Gauntlet, for instance, quite yet. Don't worry, they will come along later.

This beta period will last for at least a month, and some of that time I will be offline on vacation, please be patient with me.

Belenus

Re: Steps Beta!

Post by Belenus » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:01 pm

Wow, very nice, thank you!

Just some thinks I noticed so far:
  • Bloodelves are missing
  • I would add the source for "Other Talents" to make it easier to pick one. For example Elementalist Circle 5: Fireblood (Journeyman)
  • Versatility:
    • Talents are not filtered by circle (for example Wheeling Defense can only be learned at circle 7 at the earliest)
    • You can select a status level (Novice, Journeyman, etc.) - what for? As far as I remember not the status level of the talent is needed to determine the legendpoint costs, but the circle you learned it at. Or am I wrong?
  • Thread and blood magic:
    • I would rename "Name" -> "Type" and "Target" -> "Name".
    • The selected bonus (for example Spellcasting + 1) doesn't increase the Step at the Talents overview (I would add a column "Bonus" or "Mod" there)
  • It would be nice to have a Roll-function.
And will there be a translation in other languages?

Lars Gottlieb

Post by Lars Gottlieb » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:18 pm

Belenus wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:01 pm
Wow, very nice, thank you!
Thank you (o:
Belenus wrote:
Just some thinks I noticed so far:
  • Bloodelves are missing
Yup; they're in the Elven Nations book; this release is just about the core books.
Belenus wrote:
[*]I would add the source for "Other Talents" to make it easier to pick one. For example Elementalist Circle 5: Fireblood (Journeyman)
I'm not sure I understand - do you want to add the Tiers of the Talents?
Belenus wrote:
[*]Versatility:
  • Talents are not filtered by circle (for example Wheeling Defense can only be learned at circle 7 at the earliest)
Yup. I think I'll let the upcoming validation function flag improper use of Versatility instead of barring it entirely, for reasons of (heh) versatility =P
Belenus wrote:
[*]You can select a status level (Novice, Journeyman, etc.) - what for? As far as I remember not the status level of the talent is needed to determine the legendpoint costs, but the circle you learned it at. Or am I wrong?
You pay for the tier the teacher bought the Talent at. If the teacher didn't get Avoid Blow till circle 14, you pay it that way.
Or at least that's how I understand the rules to work (o:
Belenus wrote:
[/list]
[*]Thread and blood magic:
  • I would rename "Name" -> "Type" and "Target" -> "Name".
Noted. If enough people agree, maybe I'll change it (o:
Belenus wrote:
[*]The selected bonus (for example Spellcasting + 1) doesn't increase the Step at the Talents overview (I would add a column "Bonus" or "Mod" there)
[/list]
This is a bug with the pattern items; noted.
Belenus wrote:
[*]It would be nice to have a Roll-function.
[/list]
It is already on the list, but adding something of that complexity is not going to be a top priority till I have this part working pretty smooth (o:
Belenus wrote:
And will there be a translation in other languages?
It should be eminently more doable than it was with secondstep, but for it to happen, it requires someone to step up and translate the relevant text; I know only Danish and English to a level to make them. Also, this is on about the same tier as dicerolling in priority, from my point of view. Enough user request, and I might change my mind (o:

gortatrien

Post by gortatrien » Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:34 am

Is there a place to record the languages associated with the r/w language and speak language skills/talents?

If you press the button to add a discipline and then delete it before choosing a discipline, the add a discipline button disappears.

Lars Gottlieb

Post by Lars Gottlieb » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:44 am

gortatrien wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:34 am
Is there a place to record the languages associated with the r/w language and speak language skills/talents?
For now, only in the description. A space for this is planned.
gortatrien wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:34 am
If you press the button to add a discipline and then delete it before choosing a discipline, the add a discipline button disappears.
Huh; you're right. Thank you (o:

Also, sorry for being so long in getting back to you.

Lars Gottlieb

Post by Lars Gottlieb » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:04 pm

I finished uploading Steps ß04 earlier this evening.

Among the news this time are:
- Better mobile access
- Suggest feature for Knowledge and Artisan skills
- Categories for dropdown menues
- And More!

Have a poke around, and send me a note if you find something broken. Thanks (o:

etherial

Post by etherial » Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:53 am

Is there a way to reorder Talents or Skills? I like mine in Alphabetical Order.