Living Crystal Armor - Image?

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
PiXeL01
Living Crystal Armor - Image?

Post by PiXeL01 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:43 am

I was wondering if there is an image for the Living Crystal armor anywhere?

From the description in the PGB for ED4 is sounds like it's covering the body in a shell.

etherial

Re: Living Crystal Armor - Image?

Post by etherial » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:31 am

PiXeL01 wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:43 am

From the description in the PGB for ED4 is sounds like it's covering the body in a shell.
Yes, you can think of it as a shell. They'll still have skin over the crystals, but a thin layer of glittering magical stone is directly beneath the skin.

Tattered Rags

Post by Tattered Rags » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:23 pm

etherial wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:31 am
PiXeL01 wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:43 am

Yes, you can think of it as a shell. They'll still have skin over the crystals, but a thin layer of glittering magical stone is directly beneath the skin.
It covers the skin:
The magic in the character’s blood causes the crystals to grow until the armor covers the character’s skin.
They can feel through it, though, as if it were their skin.
Adventure I'm running:
Under the Stars

Adventure GM post-mortem:
Under the Stars Postmortem

The Undying

Post by The Undying » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:30 pm

I'm not aware of any pictures. However, given the description, I imagine it's fairly irregular in appearance, like how a crystalline structure grows over other surfaces in nature. So, for maybe some amount you think makes sense - a few millimeters to maybe a centimeter - irregular crystals have erupted from the skin. After that, though, I think you have to forge you're own vision. Do they "flower" so that the surface area from each skin protrusion is larger than the protrusion itself? Is it more like blood pebble so that the ENTIRE skin isn't covered but it still provides meaningful protection? If it flowers, do the plates overlap for smooth movement or is there a weird, perhaps uncomfortable, compression of crystals around creases and inside joints? None of that impacts gameplay, just look/feel.

Tattered Rags

Post by Tattered Rags » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:32 pm

I like the idea of flowering. I pictured a slow, irregular creep over the skin, similar to ice spreading over a pond, but something about the crystal columns opening up to blossom like a plant is engaging.
Adventure I'm running:
Under the Stars

Uli

Post by Uli » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:05 pm

Although this picture was in the core system for the crystal plate mail (I imagined them as crystal scale mail, as a Gothic harness never fit to ED in my head), I consider it a better fit for a living crystal armor with an additional crystal helmet.

The Undying

Post by The Undying » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:03 pm

Horrible small picture, and ignore the head, but this is closer to what I envision

Again, this armor isn't incredibly well defined aesthetically (which is totally fine, not every minute detail is necessary in source). I'll mention that going this route - irregular growth, larger protrusions, etc - makes it almost 100% obvious that an Adept is wearing this armor, and it also makes wearing clothes over it awkward (ill-fitting and weird in appearance). I don't see these things as BAD, just noteworthy when you are developing your vision.

Tattered Rags

Post by Tattered Rags » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:43 pm

With the description in the books, I'd say it's rather obvious when looking at exposed skin.

Description doesn't say whether it's bulky or not. I like the flavor of it being as bulky as hide or leather armor, except it's under your clothes.
Adventure I'm running:
Under the Stars

PiXeL01

Post by PiXeL01 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:11 am

I'll have my Thief wear baggy clothes from now on. Mage robes perhaps