Concise Casting and Spliced Weave

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
ottdmk
Concise Casting and Spliced Weave

Post by ottdmk » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:03 pm

Mataxes wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:14 am
Spliced Weave is, in many ways, the new Multi Weaving. It's a Simple action, so it can can be done the same round as Spellcasting. In fact, it combines with Concise Casting to allow (in theory) two spells with multiple threads per round.
I was looking at what the future holds for my Wizard, and read the Spliced Weave entry that specifically states that if you use Spliced Weave, you can't use Concise Casting in the same round. So, obviously, thinking on the combo changed before publication of the Companion (the post I quoted was before the final book was released.)

I'm just wondering... why? Would two fully charged spells in a round really be that much of a problem? Especially considering the Strain involved? (Minimum 4 Strain per round, likely more. Even at 15th Circle Spellcasters aren't going to have huge Unconsciousness Ratings.)

Panda

Re: Concise Casting and Spliced Weave

Post by Panda » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:22 pm

The thinking never changed, Josh was simply incorrect. The reason isn't "fully charged spells," but being able to cast two spells with at least two required threads in one round. Those effects are considerably more powerful than is appropriate for two in one round.

Spellcasters should not dominate combat, nor come close, and that allows them to do so.

Bonhumm

Post by Bonhumm » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:18 pm

There is a knack that allow this, it's called: Being a Great Dragon :D

ottdmk

Post by ottdmk » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:08 am

Bonhumm wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:18 pm
Man, I'm gonna have to look into that one... :mrgreen:

Thanks for the clarification, Panda. I suppose, given that pretty much every combat spell has a +1 Target Extra Thread effect, Spliced Weave + Spellcasting alone is fairly significant. (Targeting 6 things with Razor Orb in one round is kinda gah. Or Hypervelocity.)

Michael

Post by Michael » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:22 am

Bonhumm wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:18 pm
what book is that in?