Defining "Knowledge of Nethermancy"

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Lamoron
Defining "Knowledge of Nethermancy"

Post by Lamoron » Wed May 20, 2020 8:31 pm

In the near future my Elf Nethermancer is going to hit Circle 6, and after that she's going with some Thief Circles. This has prompted me to read up on synergies, and there are a lot of those, but it has also caused me to take another look at any Nethermancer spells dealing with stealth, and I have some questions.

Ethereal Darkness

Those with knowledge of Nethermancy are unaffected by Ethereal Darkness—they can see normally, as if the spell had never been cast.

What defines "Knowledge of Nethermancy"? The Spectral Dancer Horror Construct, or a Spirit with Nethermancy spells aren't Nethermancers, but logic dictates that they have knowledge of it since they're using Nethermancy spells? Theoretically, albeit silly I know, having a Knowledge skill called Nethermancy would render you immune to the spell, which I gather is not the intent :)

Sharkforce

Re: Defining "Knowledge of Nethermancy"

Post by Sharkforce » Wed May 20, 2020 10:18 pm

I would add to that list humans who have acquired threadweaving(nethermancy) would probably count. I might also include krilworms, which are noted as having some sort of connection to the discipline.

if I was in a generous mood, I might also include people who have a binding spell from the nethermancy discipline cast upon them, since they are essentially partly the spirit :)

Bonhumm

Post by Bonhumm » Wed May 20, 2020 11:44 pm

When wondering unclear things like that, I often assume something got lost/broken/attempted to fix between editions so I go see the previous ones.

4th, 3rd and Classic edition have the same 'knowledge of nethermency' thing HOWEVER, 1st and 2nd says that NETHERMANCERS (only) are not affected by that spell.

Therefore, my reasoning would be that by Classic edition, the dev had been bugged enough by people asking whether 'Nethermancy-through-Versatility' counted or not to attempt to 'clarify' the statement.... and failing at it.

Thus, my conclusion: anything that have Nethermancy Thread Weaving is not affected, period.

FUTHERMORE: 'Nethermancy' is the name of the Nethermancer's Thread Waving. So.... basically its VERY clear now that I think about it.

Lamoron

Post by Lamoron » Thu May 21, 2020 8:21 am

Bonhumm wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 11:44 pm
FUTHERMORE: 'Nethermancy' is the name of the Nethermancer's Thread Waving. So.... basically its VERY clear now that I think about it.
Hmm, that makes sense!

utsukushi

Post by utsukushi » Wed May 27, 2020 11:33 pm

Theoretically, albeit silly I know, having a Knowledge skill called Nethermancy would render you immune to the spell, which I gather is not the intent
"Have you ever heard of Nethermancy?"

"Um... only just now, when you mentioned it. Why?"

"Darnit! Now my spell won't work, for you carry within you knowledge of Nethermancy!"

In all seriousness, I agree fully with Bonhumm that it means the Nethermancy Talent specifically, though personally I am inclined to extend the effect to Nethermantic... things, and I think that's fairly in keeping with the rules and the lore. I'll admit, I actually do like the idea that a Knowledge Skill in Nethermancer Lore could offer some resistance - maybe shave a point off the penalty for every two or three full Ranks in the Skill (depending on if you want it to be possible to become fully immune this way or not). It's a pointless little benefit, way too costly an investment for an occasional slight-resistance-to-a-single-spell, but thematically cool.

Lamoron

Post by Lamoron » Sat May 30, 2020 12:44 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I think my Human team member might want to spend a versatility on learning Nethermancy 😊

TheOracle

Post by TheOracle » Sat May 30, 2020 6:49 pm

Lamoron wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 12:44 pm
Thanks for all the replies. I think my Human team member might want to spend a versatility on learning Nethermancy 😊
For such a small advantage?

Lamoron

Post by Lamoron » Sat May 30, 2020 8:28 pm

Maybe not, but we're a small party of three, so the two casters end up in melee a lot more often than we would like, so if he can hide in my bubble for added protection, that seems like quite a lot actually.

On the other hand, Friendly Darkness is right around the corner, so maybe not 😊