The Astral Maw spell

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
TheOracle
The Astral Maw spell

Post by TheOracle » Thu May 14, 2020 8:07 pm

Do I understand this spell correctly?

An attack by the Astral Maw only has an effect if three successes are achieved? An attack with a single success has no effect at all?

sigfriedmcwild

Re: The Astral Maw spell

Post by sigfriedmcwild » Thu May 14, 2020 8:15 pm

It will do damage on 1 success
With 3 it will swallow the target

etherial

Post by etherial » Thu May 14, 2020 8:45 pm

TheOracle wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 8:07 pm
Do I understand this spell correctly?

An attack by the Astral Maw only has an effect if three successes are achieved? An attack with a single success has no effect at all?
A casting with a single success has the following effect:
FASA Games, on ED4PG334, wrote: If successful, a giant fanged mouth, large enough to swallow a troll and surrounded by writhing tentacles, is summoned from the depths of the netherworlds. Each round, the maw attacks a target designated by the magician within range using the Effect Step for the Attack test. It requires the caster’s concentration to maintain and direct the maw—if broken, the maw disappears and the spell ends.
The Astral Maw then attacks things for Spellcasting Rank Rounds (or until Concentration is broken) and only does damage if it swallows someone whole.

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Sat May 16, 2020 1:13 am

It's all or nothing, but the Nethermancer can go have shield mist going or lurk in the middle of Ethereal Darkness and go defensive. Someone who is swallowed is going to have a very bad day, and it's going to be terrifying for their allies. It is automatic step 16 damage, and takes someone completely off the battlefield for the duration. It would be a fun thing to do to the rival magician.

Hmm, I'd assume the defensive posture doesn't affect this, since you're making the test 'on behalf of the maw' but maybe I'm wrong? I don't think so.

ottdmk

Post by ottdmk » Sun May 17, 2020 9:09 pm

Kinda difficult to pull off, but given a base Attack Step of 16 (no way you're Grimoire casting this one during a fight) the odds aren't terrible. And if it happens... ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch. Step 16 Physical is nothing to sneeze at, and almost any being will have trouble busting free. (DN 12 Strength tests aren't easy for anybody, not even Trolls or Obsidimen.)

TheOracle

Post by TheOracle » Mon May 18, 2020 11:25 am

Thx! So it's another spell I do not need.

Aegharan

Post by Aegharan » Mon May 18, 2020 11:33 am

TheOracle wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 11:25 am
Thx! So it's another spell I do not need.
It definitely is very situational, but aren't nearly all spells?

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Mon May 18, 2020 2:26 pm

I'll see your 'I don't need it' and raise you 'As a GM I had a resurrected troll nethermancer use this to devour someone right in front in of my 1879 PCs and they were appropriately horrified.' I don't know if a PC needs it, but the GMCs do!

TheOracle

Post by TheOracle » Tue May 19, 2020 9:23 am

Slimcreeper wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 2:26 pm
I don't know if a PC needs it, but the GMCs do!
I completely agree. :D