T'skrang Name order

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
FLal KTan
T'skrang Name order

Post by FLal KTan » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:21 pm

T'skrang can have up to four names, depending on if they are admitted to the central niall of their House. However, most T'skrang that are named in the texts have only 2 names, or 3 including a House (e.g. Belit Shustal Syrtis). The only one I can find that has all four listed is the T'skrang who wrote the treatise on his species in the Denizens of Earthdawn book, T'chal Siandra K'vechnalonika V'strimon. My question is which of these names is the name the chaida gave the child, which is the niall, and which is the name chosen at kaissa? On a related note, is "Belit," in the earlier example, the name given by the chaida or is it the name chosen at kaissa, i.e. which of those two takes precedence? And yes, I know there is also the g'doinya but I'm ignoring that for the moment.

Thanks for the help!

Bonhumm

Re: T'skrang Name order

Post by Bonhumm » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:24 pm

I would expect the names to be in the order that they came:

1st: Name given by his egg-parent
2nd: Name of the niall.
3rd: Name chosen by the t'skrang during their kaissa (in theory optional and/or could replace the egg-parent name, so this might be why some/most have only 2 names)
4th: In theory, they can only add the name of the aropagoi (ex: V'strimon) IF they were chosen as member of the Central Foundation (less than 1000 people per aropagoi) but I guess many would use the name just to point out to which aropagoi they belong although the 'proper form' is probably 'Bob SomeNiall V'strimon' for a member of the Central Foundation while a non-member would be 'Bob SomeNiall OF House V'strimon'.

Lets not forget that the niall name might change during their life as males enter the niall of the females if/when they marry.

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:10 am

I don't know. It's never specified.

Make something up that makes sense to you for your table.
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

FLal KTan

Post by FLal KTan » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:03 am

Thanks for the insights!