+1 for each additional target

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Aegharan
Re: +1 for each additional target

Post by Aegharan » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:04 am

Michael wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:25 am
p130 in the book
The adept issues a great bellow, inspiring his allies and intimidating his enemies.
The targets must be within the adept’s Battle Bellow rank x10 yards. The adept makes
a Battle Bellow test against the highest Social Defense among the target group, +1 for
each additional target.
If successful, enemies affected by the talent suffer a -1 penalty to their tests per
success scored until the end of the following round. Friendly targets gain the number
of successes as a bonus to their close-combat Attack tests.
I read this as
1) select target group. Depending on what your table agreed upon, this can be cone-shaped, circular around you, or cherry-picked. This includes friendly and hostile targets. Example: 5 Targets, 2 friendly, 2 hostile, and the skyraider himself.
2) determin Target Number. Highest Social Defense of all Targets, +1 for each additional targets. Back to exanple: Highest SD is 12. 4 additional targets make this 16.
3) Determine success: Skyraider rolled a 22. This is 1 additional success. Enemies get -2 to all action tests, friendly targets and the skyraider get +2 to close-combat attack tests. Both buff and debuff last until the end of next round.

Bonhumm

Post by Bonhumm » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:57 pm

Although the GM always have the final word, I would tend to agree with Michael here, not only because the description says 'inspiring his allies and intimidating his enemies' but also because, in my opinion, you don't get to decide to whom you bellow at any more than you get to decide whom will hear you when you speak; anyone within range heard you speak and everyone within range heard your bellow. Another similar example would be how the Entertainer skill works; there, again, you don't get to cherry pick whom you are trying to entertain.

As a GM, I might be willing to accept the concept of cone-shaped effect tho, although if we'd go that way, it would always be that way; thus it would, usually, be kinda hard to target both enemies and allies. It would also add a layer of complexity which I'm not sure would be worth it.

Ferretmonger

Post by Ferretmonger » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:24 pm

If it would target everyone within range that would also mean that it gets harder the better you get. I'd rule it as a "choose a group of enemies and roll against their highest MD +1/target. That or a cone, but even a cone gets really big on Rank 15 🤪
Last edited by Ferretmonger on Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Belenus

Post by Belenus » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:25 pm

Aegharan wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:04 am
Michael wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:25 am
p130 in the book
The adept issues a great bellow, inspiring his allies and intimidating his enemies.
The targets must be within the adept’s Battle Bellow rank x10 yards. The adept makes
a Battle Bellow test against the highest Social Defense among the target group, +1 for
each additional target.
If successful, enemies affected by the talent suffer a -1 penalty to their tests per
success scored until the end of the following round. Friendly targets gain the number
of successes as a bonus to their close-combat Attack tests.
I read this as
1) select target group. Depending on what your table agreed upon, this can be cone-shaped, circular around you, or cherry-picked. This includes friendly and hostile targets. Example: 5 Targets, 2 friendly, 2 hostile, and the skyraider himself.
2) determin Target Number. Highest Social Defense of all Targets, +1 for each additional targets. Back to exanple: Highest SD is 12. 4 additional targets make this 16.
3) Determine success: Skyraider rolled a 22. This is 1 additional success. Enemies get -2 to all action tests, friendly targets and the skyraider get +2 to close-combat attack tests. Both buff and debuff last until the end of next round.
Normally those effects don't buff the user himself (here the skyraider).

Aegharan

Post by Aegharan » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:40 pm

Yeah, you're right. Thanks ^^