Wizzard C6 Spell Discplace Self

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Sushy
Wizzard C6 Spell Discplace Self

Post by Sushy » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:34 pm

Hi All!

I dont get the point behind the Displace Self Spell.
The spell target can do Avoid Blow test?

Thats all? Ok also for not seen attacks fine, but it's C6 Spell! Do I just understand it wrong?

Belenus

Re: Wizzard C6 Spell Discplace Self

Post by Belenus » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:33 pm

Hi,
  1. You can dodge while blindsided.
  2. You can dodge while being ambushed.
  3. You can dodge while being blind / in the dark.
  4. You can use avoid blow against spells which deal physical damage (not all characters have the talent Steel Thought).
  5. It needs no threads, so it is casted fast.
And I really often hear "It is a high level spell so it must be more powerful.
But the more I hear this, the clearer it becomes that every Caster-Displin has spells in higher circles that are not as strong as others. Or are only useful in certain situations.
As a warrior, for example, I would really like this buff if I have to fight against 6+ enemies at the same time and automatically receive 3+ attacks into my blind spot, which I couldn't avoid. A combat situation, which should occur rather rarely in lower circles (because you don't necessarily survive this there :D)

Greetings
Belenus

RazanMG

Post by RazanMG » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:49 pm

4. Actually you cannot. Avoid Blow only works if PD was targeted, and its in spells decription.

If your enemy have 3 attacks, he moved and you Avoid Blow moving away, he cannot use on you rest of attacks, thats BIG advantage.

Belenus

Post by Belenus » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:23 pm

4. The spell description says you can: "This includes physical attacks which Avoid Blow may not normally affect, such as spells that deal physical damage."

RazanMG

Post by RazanMG » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:43 am

In my Ed4 PG page 356.
"This includes attacks which Avoid Blow would normally be denied, such as Blindside or Surprise attacks, but does not include those which Avoid Blow is never allowed, such as against most spells."

ChrisDDickey

Post by ChrisDDickey » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:41 am

RasenMG is correct, the biggest advantage is moving you away from subsequent melee attacks. The combat sequence is that simple action attacks usually need to be taken immediately following your standard action attacks. A melee attacker can't attack, then move, then attack some more.

The attacking character does not get his Momentum attack, and probably does not get his Air Dance Attack, and needs to pick another target (if he can do so without moving) for any Second Attack or Second Weapon attack he might want to have made. This is huge.

Also, at around 6th circle is when you are seeing more foes with multiple attacks each round, so Displace Self is not really as useful before then.

Belenus

Post by Belenus » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:53 pm

RazanMG wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:43 am
In my Ed4 PG page 356.
"This includes attacks which Avoid Blow would normally be denied, such as Blindside or Surprise attacks, but does not include those which Avoid Blow is never allowed, such as against most spells."
Oh, guess my version of the pdf isn't the final one (even so it was called FINAL :P ) :oops:
Than ofc you are right! Thanks for quoting.

But regarding the spells description, I don't understand, why the spell doesn't work for Steel Thought against Spells as well.
We're talking about a Wizard here and his newly found "sixth sence" wouldn't ignore spells directed at him :shock:
Perhaps I'd even houserule, that he is able to do so (Or invent a spell knack for it :D)

Lursi

Post by Lursi » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:19 pm

Nothing that helps the mage... more a buff for the other group members.

The mage does not really shine in avoid blow without any buffs or having human versatility and the talent.

Maybe together with „Energy Shield“...

Energy Shield with an extra thread for a party buff is something to keep in mind to make a bunch of mercenaries a pretty annoying guard for an evil mage boss fight
Of all things I lost, sanity I held dearest.

sigfriedmcwild

Post by sigfriedmcwild » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:51 am

Wizards get access to Avoid Blow as Journeyman talent option in e4