A Primer on Damage Output for Magicians

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
The Undying
Re: A Primer on Damage Output for Magicians

Post by The Undying » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:21 pm

Depends on the Discipline. Elementalists for example are 100% Physical.

Telarus

Post by Telarus » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:58 pm

The effect is (therefore physical armor applies), but you usually don't target Physical Defense with spellcasting (I could find a single one, but I may have missed it). Additional successes are based on Mystic Defense, which can be good or bad depending on what you are facing - but for the most part creatures have lower Mystic Defenses. The exceptions are mundane creatures who are very Perceptive compared to their size/agility (elephants), or highly magical creatures (most of these have very even defenses).

The Undying

Post by The Undying » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:23 am

Telarus wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:58 pm
Additional successes are based on Mystic Defense, which can be good or bad depending on what you are facing - but for the most part creatures have lower Mystic Defenses.
You are correct on this. However, we USUALLY aren't talking order of magnitude difference between the defenses - at extremes, maybe ~5. However, I make a point to note that "+2 Effect" on success is hard to come by for spells as it has been specifically designed out to make spells with this stand out.

This thread is also just about single hit damage, and I specifically avoid successes-based improvement. The more conditions that get pulled in, the harder it is to get your hands around the problem. Your point is valid, though, so IF the magician happens to be using a spell that increases damage based on successes (which, as I said, is going to be the exception versus the rule), then yes, there's a fair chance of an average extra +2 across the board.

Dougansf

Post by Dougansf » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:34 am

Also, the rarity of Steel Thought compared to Avoid Blow is a (difficult to calculate) factor.